Winners of the Adventure Maker Game Design Contest 2008/09

Here you will find contest you can enter.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Winners of the Adventure Maker Game Design Contest 2008/09

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:38 pm

I feel honored to be the one to announce the winners of this year's contest.
Unfortunately Mystery couldn't do this because of business obligations, still thumbs up for the great moderating of the whole event...

Phew... I 'm so anxious of messing anything up... :lol:

And the winners are: (tadaaaaa, applause, etc)

First Place: Reneuend with Once Bitten Twice Shy
Average total score: 3.85

Second Place: 2poam's Sandbox with Camper Escape
Average total score: 3.27

Third Place: Shafayat with Life Is For Living
Average total score: 2.54
He will be taking the 30day Rapidshare account. Candle
Congratulations everyone!
You will be informed about the prizes as soon as Mystery gets back.

The jury members should now post their constructive feedback to the game creators in this topic.
Last edited by Lyberodoggy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm

:!: :!: Wow! I'm honored :!: :!:

:D

...and I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks to all the judges for their vote and thank you for this cool contest!

There's nothing better then having fun and then winning having fun!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Congratulations to all winners!

(I can't say anything of the game from reneuend, because I don't get it to work with Vista.If anyone of the judges have also Vista, perhaps they can give me a tip)

But I've played the other games, and judges have made a correct choice :)
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Chromegloss55 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Congrats to the winner! Enjoy your prize!

If any of you want the constructive criticism, let me know. I can post it here or send it as a PM. :)
Chromegloss - Vanishes and then re-appears at complete random. [Working on Advanced Section of VBScript guide]
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I would prefer the open critism, but I'm no winner
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Winner

Postby Sandbox » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Congratulations! reneuend and Shafayat

And thank you to the judges, for awarding the team of 2POAM second place.

@Chromegloss55 We would be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about our game. It will help us to understand our strong points, and weak points.
Sandbox

Postby Mystery » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi all, I just arrived home from my business trip. Thanks to Doggy for taking care of the announcement of the winners. :)

@juhu
I have played all games on Vista without problems, please contact me on PM what is not working for you, maybe we can work it out.

Special congratulations to reneuend for the first prize! :D

But also congrats to the other participants for their big effort put into their games! :D

I'm going to post my feedback on all games here tomorrow after I'm settled again, and will contact GM-Support and Candle because of the prizes asap :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lilliputt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:45 am

Hello all!
I am the second part of 2poam game creator team. I am very happy to realise our game got on second place on the competition. Thank you for that :) I would also like to congratulate reneuend and Shafayat on work well done!

Also, as my partner has all ready said, we are of course interested in reading some feedback, Chromegloss55. :)
I am part of 2poam game creator team :)
Lilliputt

Postby reneuend » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:47 am

Lilliputt wrote:Hello all!
I am the second part of 2poam game creator team. I am very happy to realise our game got on second place on the competition. Thank you for that :) I would also like to congratulate reneuend and Shafayat on work well done!

Also, as my partner has all ready said, we are of course interested in reading some feedback, Chromegloss55. :)

ahhhh, you must be the ringer! :)
Welcome aboard, Lilliputt and great job on a game that still has me stumped! I'm working on it though.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lilliputt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:50 am

Ahem... I suppose I should post the walkthrough :lol:
Thank you very much reneuend and I had fun playing your game, just so you know :D
Lilliputt

Postby crimsonthread » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:55 am

Congrats to all the contestants!

@Reneuend--I have played 2POAM's wonderful game, and would be happy to give you a hint if you need one--just PM me with where your stuck.

By the way, I was never able to play your game, either--it always froze after I left the office. :(
crimsonthread

Postby reneuend » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:50 am

crimsonthread wrote:Congrats to all the contestants!

@Reneuend--I have played 2POAM's wonderful game, and would be happy to give you a hint if you need one--just PM me with where your stuck.

By the way, I was never able to play your game, either--it always froze after I left the office. :(

Sorry, you weren't able to play it. Did you run the included Codecs? I didn't add anything unusual to the game. Not sure why some people are having issues. :?

I'm going to Pm you from inside the camper. Sure would Like to get out..I'm gett a bit claustiphobic! :wink:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:34 am

Congrats everyone..!!~..Well done :D
mercedes
VIP

Congrats

Postby Harvester » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:44 am

Congrats! I also played all the games but didn't take part in judgement. It was a pleasure :)
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Shafayat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello everyone and congratulations to the (other) winners. I didn't actually manage enough time to play the games but what can I extract from the comments, they seem really good. I intend to play them during the next weekend.

Then, I'd like to thank the judges for their excellent and just judgement.

I don't really think I did a good job in my game. But that's made in merely 3 days and I still had school.

Anyway, thanks everyone once more.

Regards
Shafayat
Shafayat

Postby Imari » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Congratulations, guys.
Imari
VIP

Postby Lilliputt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Shafayat wrote:Hello everyone and congratulations to the (other) winners. I didn't actually manage enough time to play the games but what can I extract from the comments, they seem really good. I intend to play them during the next weekend.

Then, I'd like to thank the judges for their excellent and just judgement.

I don't really think I did a good job in my game. But that's made in merely 3 days and I still had school.

Anyway, thanks everyone once more.

Regards
Shafayat

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. I can see potential in the idea of your game. A similar game could be done with flash clips instead of the Sims movieclips and then have choice actions, for example. The problem is really how to have more gameplay in it.... interesting problem really :D

You did what you could in the time you had availble for you and whadda ya know? It paid off! :D Congrats ;)
Lilliputt

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Okay, I'm settled after my return from the business trip, so here is my personal short feedback on all submitted games. If you have any questions, please contact me by PM.

Reneuend: Once Bitten Twice Shy
I liked that your game has an interesting storyline with logical puzzles. You have also created nice artwork, and made all characters and character animations yourself. Also the background sounds (e.g. in jail) and voice-overs were used well, and added to the game quality. It is obvious that you have put much time and effort into the game. :)
Navigation was okay, but for me not always easy to find the location I was looking for. However if you walk around for a while, you get the idea of what is where.
There have been still some bugs in the game (e.g. being able to pick up things twice), so that the final polishing was missing. I have played the first and the second version, and indeed some bugfixing has been done for the 2nd version. A thorough beta testing time must be scheduled, which I know is especially difficult when you have a deadline of submission.
One specific suggestion for future games: Make sure that navigation areas are never underneath the inventory bar. Otherwise the player wants to use an item on something, but instead goes to another screen when trying to grab an item.

2poam: Camper Escape
I liked the opening cut scene. You have put much effort in the artwork, and there was humor in the game :) I also liked the ideas for some puzzles (card game, color puzzle), however part of them was illogical and confusing in my personal opinion (e.g. the cross showing up).
I found the navigation through the camper difficult and user unfriendly in this game.
There has been some pixel hunting, or hotspots too small: E.g. to look under the oven, you need to click on the bottom part of the oven and not underneath the oven, this is confusing for the player, and makes it difficult to find items. :?
Items were partly overlapping in the inventory bar. Although this wasn't a hindering factor in finishing the game, it was still unattractive in terms of user interface. There would be 2 solutions for this: making items smaller and/or changing the settings for the inventory in the Project Properties.

Shafayat: Life Is For Living
The animations look very professional, but suggest (especially because of the heavy facial animations) that some modding tool (maybe from "The Movies" by Lionhead Studios?) has been used to create them. Since there are absolutely no credits, it's impossible to find out what your own merit is concerning the artwork and animations.
Having no credits is generally a no-go in my opinion for any game :?
Unfortunately I haven't seen a storyline, this was a very short game part based heavily on sequences of animations. I was missing the usage of AM features and interaction.
Don't get me wrong, it's of course allowed to use any legal tools/software for creating nice game contents, but it's necessary to explain in the credits what has been used, and what are your own merits. And especially for an AM contest, it's good to have the bigger portion done by yourself, and using AM itself more. :)
Anyhow I hope to see the finished game in future :)

Once again, thank you all for creating and submitting your games for this contest, and congrats! :D
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lilliputt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Mystery wrote:Okay, I'm settled after my return from the business trip, so here is my personal short feedback on all submitted games. If you have any questions, please contact me by PM.

2poam: Camper Escape
I liked the opening cut scene. You have put much effort in the artwork, and there was humor in the game :) I also liked the ideas for some puzzles (card game, color puzzle), however part of them was illogical and confusing in my personal opinion (e.g. the cross showing up).
I found the navigation through the camper difficult and user unfriendly in this game.
There has been some pixel hunting, or hotspots too small: E.g. to look under the oven, you need to click on the bottom part of the oven and not underneath the oven, this is confusing for the player, and makes it difficult to find items. :?
Items were partly overlapping in the inventory bar. Although this wasn't a hindering factor in finishing the game, it was still unattractive in terms of user interface. There would be 2 solutions for this: making items smaller and/or changing the settings for the inventory in the Project Properties.

Once again, thank you all for creating and submitting your games for this contest, and congrats! :D

Thank you ever so much for your input, Mystery :) It is very helpful to get this kind of feedback on our game. I see you appreciate the art work which indeed was put a lot of effort in and I have my wonderful partner to thank for that :D
Well, the finding of the cross was part of (in our opinion) famous Lilliputtish logic... sorta of a "SURPRISE" effect. It had more to do with solving the start of the tic-tac-toe puzzle than anything else, really, so even if it was illogical for the player it made sense for me as a creator. Sorries *Blushes*.
I agree that navigation was not the strongest point in this game so I am now working on other methods to solve this problem. I think static arrows would have been preferable, really, but I didn't want to add new bugs by changing the navigation. :( It would simply have taken too much time to solve the issue and as you know, I had a hard drive problem that got in the way of things. That and real life issues made me choose not to change the idea. I will however try other ways of navigating in future games.

About pixel hunting, I am not sure I would agree because no hotspot is made very small in the AM project that I see. They are all actually the a little bigger than the pointer or larger. No pixel hunt is intended, one just needs to move the pointer around until it changes or rather that is the idea of the game. I'm sorry that you still feel there was some pixel hunting involved because that is not how the game was designed. :(

The overlapping part in the inventory was also something that my partner and I discussed. Glad you brought it up :). We choose to have big items in the inventory on purpose because we wanted the items to match the items found so that if you find a big item, a big item would show in the inventory. The problem was however the inventory size. I did play around with the size of the inventory but items would still overlap. So we choose on purpose to let them be this way because it does not effect game play anyway.
I am aware that I can change the size of the inventory icons as well as the size of the inventory but in future I am thinking of trying Mercedes brilliant idea about using ones own designed inventory. This might solve this issue as well :)

Anyway, we currently working on new projects and will prolly get back to the forums and scream... uh... i mean ASK for help on script issues Image
Lilliputt

feedback

Postby Sandbox » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks you Mystery for feedback. Yes I did spend a lot of time on the artwork. This game was done before I discovered what rendering was. LOL :wink:
Sandbox

Postby Vairon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Congratulations to everyone and especially to the winner!
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Shafayat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 am

Hello Mystery.

I feel honored to have my game reviewed. I'm sorry I didn't add any credit.

You got part of it right. Some of the graphics is indeed from "The Movies". But Later, I added a few more elements. I used mediachance's "EditStudio" for editing the videos. I also created few elemental animations (the torchlight for example) with 3dsmax.

And the password part is made with Multimedia Builder, a programming toolkit.

And though I said I made the game in three days (which was indeed true), I had actually months (considering the start date) to make it. But I've grown up an unfortunate fascination for doing everything at the eleventh hour and I'm lazy too. :) (and also good at making excuses.... and at posting unnecessary replies like this one... ;) )

I hope this explains.

Regards
Shafayat
Shafayat

Postby Lilliputt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:03 pm

My partner and I just got an unexpected surprise with our prize so I would like to post and extra special thank you to GM-support. [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/biggrin.gif[/img] How very kind of you Image
Lilliputt

Return to Adventure Maker Contests