My First Game

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

My First Game

Postby Saberking13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 am

Hi everyone. I am going to make my first game soon, but I need to draw my graphics first. Does anyone know how I could make a window shatter when I shoot it or put a hole in a building when I shoot it ...
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby Saberking13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 am

:D Also, can you make a high scores list?
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby mercedes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:57 am

Welcome to the forums Saberking..:D
Does anyone know how I could make a window shatter when I shoot it or put a hole in a building when I shoot it

There are a few different ways to do this..You could create an animation,however you would need a plugin for this use. You can evaluate AM under 20 frames which includes some plugins. I believe the animation plugin is available to use with evaluation.

You could use a video..'Play a Video' under the action tab..or
Use Flash plugin..~

You could make series of pictures..of the glass..one not broken..another picture broken...You would do this in a series of pictures..to load..Be it with script[full version] or variables hiding the series one at a time---This way would be the easiest I would think...

Again it depends on whether or not u will use Free version of AM or Full... This link will be helpful to you in creating puzzles..with either version.;)
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm

Also check out the tutorial section of the forum..
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10

You'll probably find a score tutorial to your liking in any one of those two links, If not...then post back..:)
Hope that helps..:)

B.t.w.
....after posting your post, you will see a button on the far right side where u see 'Edit' or 'Quote'. If you care to add something after ..like u did here...Hit the Edit..and u can simply edit your post as opposed to double posting...:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Re: My First Game

Postby 3dgamer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Saberking13,

Saberking13 wrote:Hi everyone. I am going to make my first game soon, but I need to draw my graphics first. Does anyone know how I could make a window shatter when I shoot it or put a hole in a building when I shoot it ...

Do you actually want to see the pieces flying? If so, what type of graphic programs do you have at your disposal?

Mercedes suggestion of the two-step animation is the fastest, and easiest, however. But if you want something more detailed, maybe I can help point you in the right direction re: steps/tuts.

Just let me know. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Saberking13 wrote::D Also, can you make a high scores list?

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3580

Here you will find a score board tutorial (you must scroll down the page a little bit, because the first thing mentioned is a player naming system)
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Saberking13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:28 pm

mercedes wrote:Welcome to the forums Saberking..:D
Does anyone know how I could make a window shatter when I shoot it or put a hole in a building when I shoot it

There are a few different ways to do this..You could create an animation,however you would need a plugin for this use. You can evaluate AM under 20 frames which includes some plugins. I believe the animation plugin is available to use with evaluation.

You could use a video..'Play a Video' under the action tab..or
Use Flash plugin..~

You could make series of pictures..of the glass..one not broken..another picture broken...You would do this in a series of pictures..to load..Be it with script[full version] or variables hiding the series one at a time---This way would be the easiest I would think...

Again it depends on whether or not u will use Free version of AM or Full... This link will be helpful to you in creating puzzles..with either version.;)
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm

Also check out the tutorial section of the forum..
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10

You'll probably find a score tutorial to your liking in any one of those two links, If not...then post back..:)
Hope that helps..:)

B.t.w.
....after posting your post, you will see a button on the far right side where u see 'Edit' or 'Quote'. If you care to add something after ..like u did here...Hit the Edit..and u can simply edit your post as opposed to double posting...:)

Peace

How would I make holes in a building when it gets shot then,(I don't have time to make a hole in every possibe place in the building
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:22 am

I did this, but it requires doing scripting.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby toadfrogs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:26 am

I think it requires scripting in making holes when pressed.
Like making new objects in gameplay.
toadfrogs

Postby Saberking13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 am

reneuend wrote:I did this, but it requires doing scripting.

How do you script on this software? I'm new. Also, what were your scripts, if you don't mind showing them to me.
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby Saberking13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:39 am

Lyberodoggy wrote:
Saberking13 wrote::D Also, can you make a high scores list?

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3580

Here you will find a score board tutorial (you must scroll down the page a little bit, because the first thing mentioned is a player naming system)

How do you add the score board and the nickname to the game? And please don't just say scripting, please tell me how to do it step by step.
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 am

If you click the link that Lyberodoggy has provided, and scroll down, you find a step-by-step tutorial:

Lyberodoggy wrote:Here is the modifyied source code of the scoreboard system:
After creating a global integer variable called Score and one called INIKey, type this in the hotspot the player has to click to save his score
Code: Select all
If Score=0 Then
MsgBox "You can't save your score If it's 0"
Else
Name=InputBox("Your Name or Nickname","Score")+cstr(": ")
INIKey=INIKey+1
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",2,1,INIKey
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",1,INIKey,Name + " " + cstr(Score)
Action.GoToFrame "Scoreboard"
End If

where Scoreboard should be replaced with the internal name of the frame where your scoreboard will be placed.
Go to the scoreboard frame.
In the frame's properties type this code:
entries=INIKey
Text(1).Caption=Scoreboard
Do
Text(1).Caption=Text(1).Caption+Action.ReadINI("ScoreBoard.ini",1,entries)+vblf
entries=entries-1
Loop While entries>0

where Text(1) should be replaced if there's another text with that index. Create a text with the caption "Scoreboard" and place it where you want the scoreboard to appear.
To create a "Clear Scoreboard" button, enter these lines in the hotspot you will use:
If INIKey>0 Then
Answer=MsgBox("Are you sure?",vbyesno)
If Answer=vbyes Then
Do
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",2,1,""
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",1,INIKey,""
INIKey=INIKey-1
Loop While INIKey>0
End If
Else
MsgBox "The Scoreboard is already empty"
End If

Now one thing is left: go to Project Properties and in "Advanced", in the "Execute VBS every time a frame is loaded" field paste these:
INIKey=ConvertToNumber(Action.ReadINI("ScoreBoard.ini",2,1))

Hope you like this one!
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Saberking13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:18 am

Mystery wrote:If you click the link that Lyberodoggy has provided, and scroll down, you find a step-by-step tutorial:

Lyberodoggy wrote:Here is the modifyied source code of the scoreboard system:
After creating a global integer variable called Score and one called INIKey, type this in the hotspot the player has to click to save his score
If Score=0 Then
MsgBox "You can't save your score If it's 0"
Else
Name=InputBox("Your Name or Nickname","Score")+cstr(": ")
INIKey=INIKey+1
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",2,1,INIKey
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",1,INIKey,Name + " " + cstr(Score)
End If

where Scoreboard should be replaced with the internal name of the frame where your scoreboard will be placed.
Go to the scoreboard frame.
In the frame's properties type this code:
entries=INIKey
Text(1).Caption=Scoreboard
Do
Text(1).Caption=Text(1).Caption+Action.ReadINI("ScoreBoard.ini",1,entries)+vblf
entries=entries-1
Loop While entries>0

where Text(1) should be replaced if there's another text with that index. Create a text with the caption "Scoreboard" and place it where you want the scoreboard to appear.
To create a "Clear Scoreboard" button, enter these lines in the hotspot you will use:
If INIKey>0 Then
Answer=MsgBox("Are you sure?",vbyesno)
If Answer=vbyes Then
Do
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",2,1,""
Action.WriteINI "ScoreBoard.ini",1,INIKey,""
INIKey=INIKey-1
Loop While INIKey>0
End If
Else
MsgBox "The Scoreboard is already empty"
End If

Now one thing is left: go to Project Properties and in "Advanced", in the "Execute VBS every time a frame is loaded" field paste these:
INIKey=ConvertToNumber(Action.ReadINI("ScoreBoard.ini",2,1))

Hope you like this one!

Yeah, I saw that, but where do you type it in(I have the free version.)
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:37 am

From the Frame properties or from a hotspot properties, you can add scripting via the 'advanced tab'.

Saberking13 wrote:
reneuend wrote:I did this, but it requires doing scripting.

How do you script on this software? I'm new. Also, what were your scripts, if you don't mind showing them to me.

You can access the game that has this feature from the AM games page. It is called, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy". There is an alley in the game where you can practice shooting at a wall or a trash can. If you would like that section of code, just let me know. :wink:

<<posts merged by admin>>
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:45 am

Just as an information for you since you use the free version: Although some features are for the full version only (like scripting), you can evaluate them for projects up to 20 frames.

If you would like to learn more about the supported features for the different versions, and target platforms, please check this page:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/features_ ... _touch.htm
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Some Bullet Tutorials...

Postby 3dgamer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:27 am

Saberking13 wrote:How would I make holes in a building when it gets shot then,(I don't have time to make a hole in every possibe place in the building

Probably the best way to make holes in a building is to do with with animation or special effects . If you have access to any type of 2D composite program (After Effects, Photoshop, GIMP, etc.), you can do this.

There are a couple of tuts on the Web for this. I've listed two of them below. After reviewing these, if you have any questions about this, then just let me know and I can try to help you further. In the meantime, If I have time, I'll try to see if I can throw something together and post it here in the forums for you to illustrate how to put this all together in AM.

Bullet Tutorials (on buildings/surfaces) -

1)
How To Make Bullet Effects - http://mefeedia.com/entry/how-to-make-bullet-effects-videomaker-tutorial/15165585 (3:37)

2)
TUTORIAL - Bullet HOLES & Muzzle Flash using After Effects - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhXhnfV74w (7:31)

Well, hope that helps. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Saberking13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Mystery wrote:Just as an information for you since you use the free version: Although some features are for the full version only (like scripting), you can evaluate them for projects up to 20 frames.

If you would like to learn more about the supported features for the different versions, and target platforms, please check this page:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/features_ ... _touch.htm

Oh, I guess I'm going to quit this software then. Sorry. I'm going to try an rpg game maker at http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/index.php
Can you play multiplayer on rpg's or only mmorpg's
Saberking13 was here
PIE
CORN
KORN
Saberking13

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:46 pm

It depends. If you build a game, it can do whatever you want...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:18 pm

If I want to make a hole in a wall, like after being hit by a hammer, I just make 2 drawings of the same scene. One without the hole and one with the hole. When the item is used on the hotspot, it goes to the other scene with the hole. Not sure if you want animation or not.

Here is the easiest way to make a wall or window break. I made a short demo* (2mb) and also posted the drawings I used. This requires no scripting, but its a basic wall/window breaking scene.

*I did not add sound to this demo.

http://www.gamesfree4u.com/breakwalldemo.html

Edit: I just went back and read some more of the posts. I don't think this is the type of hole you mean, but you can still view the demo. lol
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:57 am

HI there...I just recently played a game where this effect came to play. It was called Righteous Kill. I see how it was done the bullet holes..so i thought i'd share it..:)

I would make 2 GIF's of bullet holes--one with thin white cracks and black bullet hole..The other with White bullet hole and thicker white cracks..both identical though--in characteristics.

THey should be placed right on top of each other. This way u load the pictures one right after each other..The white one is hiding till gun sound goes off..--Then the black holed one loads --within seconds. You would place both pictures on top of the wall..or board in this case..With a gun shot sound it really looks cool..

Altogether i would make 4 pictures-- 2 of each--This way u have two different bullet holes..going thru the wall..--down the wall..and u could do this as many times as u wanted--You can't tell theyre the same. The game only uses 2 and it shoots the wall 5 -6 times.

They would look similar to what Steve drew, only the hole in the center would be small..and splits leading from it..and nothing on the floor--being as this is a bullet..And all the pictures would be is the actual bullet holes only..with splits leading from it..You would have to make them GIF's, with transparent backgrounds, Or take the background of the actual wall would work too. The game does it slightly different, but this way works well~

Hope that helps..~

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion