Adventure game for beginners

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Adventure game for beginners

Postby drummerac » Sun May 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for your help so far.

I have another question for you all.

I am designing an adventure game for learning as some of you know, and I plan to release it to my students soon.

Can someone recommend an adventure game that is not too difficult, but will help to quickly train my students how to paly quickly?

I have tried out the following games, but they dont have enough guidance and will take too long:

Lost House
    Hidden Jewels

They can both be found here:

http://www.adventuremaker.com/free_games_for_windows_downloads.php
drummerac

Postby reneuend » Sun May 03, 2009 6:40 pm

What is the age group?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby drummerac » Sun May 03, 2009 7:27 pm

The age group will be 18 - 22, young adults, they are Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
drummerac

Postby Mystery » Sun May 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Hmmm, that's not an easy question, and I'm a bit confused now. So I need some more clarification :)

What do you mean by "to quickly train my students how to play quickly?"
Usually this age group understands pretty fast how to play games, why do you think that there must be guidance in the game? Or are they completely new to point and click games?

And playing quickly makes me think of action type games, and not point and click games, which are usually not played quickly anyway.

What is the goal that you are following by letting them play a game?
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi there...:D

Do they have to be made with AM..?
Is it just for tutorial purposes on how to play any adventure games..or games made with AM only?

If the students aren't familiar with point and click adventure games made with AM, and you wish them to try an AM adventure game then i would recommend;

Mystery Games
They're good and playable..not too difficult not to easy..Not all are listed on the AM's website. I liked The Neighbor's trilogy and Water Quest--which might be what your looking for... You will find more on her website, and what's more, she's around often..so if u get stuck or anything..she can help..or I can even..as I've played them all..
Whereas some listed on the AM's games website, some of the authors aren't here..or reachable..

I'm not sure if you will find many that are too easy..The main purpose for adventure games, especially point and click, is the adventure and mystery of them..so there are some challenges to them..[Finding items, puzzles etc..]Also-- length, adventure games are made/meant to be longer .. Although i hope with these choices..they'll be good for a stepping stone..:D

Mystery's Games

If its for learning purposes on how to play any adventure games..then I would recommend; This is a 3rd person--which is also considered adventure, when there is a character in it..:D

Something's Amiss

That was probably my first online adventure ..and I loved it ! It has everything a game should have..I didn't find it difficult, so hopefully they wont' either. There are several chapters to it..but I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly u could just play the one and be fine..They didn't end abruptly, and by themselves they were relatively short, at least that's how i remember them..Either way they're enjoyable.....Also the website, has hints, etc..for game-play..:) If you choose to play-- Play it in Full Screen!~

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby drummerac » Mon May 04, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for your help guys.

Basically I am looking for a short tutorial point and click adventure game that I can use to demonstrate this type of game to the students. I dont want them to learn in the "real" game, as I want to observe how they use it rather than learn how to use it.

They are all familiar with the XBox, PS3 and PC games around, but point and click games are different as you know.

A 5 minute introduction is fine, I might even use a turorial game, but it might be too short.
drummerac

Postby Mystery » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am

Hi,

I personally don't think that real tutorial point and click games exist. At least I have only seen real games.
I guess it is usually assumed that players have a basic idea about them, and if someone needs help, the players can post in forums to get help/hints.

However, I have all the material of my latest games, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to add some instructions and guidance to one of them, and compile them to a new .exe file - do you think of sort of comments/explanations throughout a short game?
If you take this offer, shoot me a PM what exactly you would like to have, e.g. a short introduction with explanations, comments/explanations throughout the game on what to do next etc.
Mystery

Postby drummerac » Mon May 04, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks Mystery,

Ill have a think about it. What you are suggesting will be in the main game (simulation).

It should be finished some time this week. I hope to post it here for the community to see, the problem is that its made using photos of an airbase hangar and I may not be able to release it for security reasons.
drummerac

Postby Mystery » Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Okay, just let me know if I can be of any help :)
Mystery

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion