Making a Diary

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Making a Diary

Postby Loll » Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 am

I'm experimanting with ideas for a project and would lke to include a notebook that would track your adventure, clues and the like.

I have a book page set up and can manage page turning ok. But theres a problem ordering the entries. I want the notes to appear as you discover things so say you had the following to do ; thing1,thing2,thing3

If each event fills a hotboxs in the diary; Fine if you do the in that order but if you do them thing3, thing 1,thing2, it's going to look pretty odd with notes appearing all over the place in your diary.

Now I can see that you could manage something with the LoadAPicture command and an incrimental array but it's at about the limit (or a bit beyond) of my programing ability and could involve a lot of variables.

See any easier method anyone

cheers Loll
Loll

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat May 16, 2009 10:20 am

Create three variables and name accordingly (thing1,thing2,thing3)
let's name the pictures of the entries in the diary entry1, entry2, entry3 (note that these should be valid filenames)

Copy this procedure to your vbs procedures:
Code: Select all
ArrangeEntries(entry)
If thing1=0 then
thing1=entry
else if thing2=0 then
thing2=entry
else
thing3=entry
end if
end if

When the user discovers something, you are gonna use this code
Say that the player discovers the third thing. In the hotspot triggering the event type:
ArrangeEntries entry3

Now in the diary frame's advanced, use this code (I assume that the first entry is the first hotspot of the frame):

Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(1), thing1
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(2), thing2
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(3), thing3

Hope this will do
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Loll » Sat May 16, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks a bunch

I was getting close but i would have probably struggled on for days. Good to learn from them that knows. I'll get back when I have absorbed

Loll :) :) :)
Loll

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion