Audio error messages - workaround?

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Audio error messages - workaround?

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:14 am

Hello everyone,

I'm testing a demo of my game on several systems, and many encounter the following error message when they try to play the game:

http://www.upforums.com/error.JPG

This problem happens both in XP and Vista. For reference, I am using WAV files and OGG files. Video files are not the issue here, as this problem occurs even in frames that are not playing any video files.

On these computers that receive this error, half of the audio doesn't play. I can't figure out why some sounds do work and others don't, either.

For instance, I have two short WAV files - identical bitrate - and one plays while the other does not. Also, OGG files never play, even with the proper codec installed.

I *think* I have traced this problem to computers that have audio cards built into the motherboard instead of a seperate sound card (such as Realtek audio). Are these on-board sound cards simply unable to play two sounds at once?

I never encountered this bug with my first two published Adventure Maker games, and so I'm wondering if the engine has changed how it uses audio in the last few years.

Does anyone have any ideas for a work-around?

Thanks! :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Candle » Mon May 25, 2009 3:17 am

Ogg files need a player that is for ogg unless you get a plug-in to let windows media player play them.
http://www.vorbis.com/setup_windows/
Try that and see if it helps.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Candle. I already have that installed on the PCs with this error message; it doesn't help. The OGG files will not play in AM, even though they do play when opened in any other application.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Have you already seen this page about Ogg, and followed the instructions mentioned there?
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/sounds_and_music.htm
Does it still give an error message?

Oops sorry I missed "even with the proper codec installed." in your post :?
Hmmm, I'll try it out myself to see, and let you know if I can figure out something :)

EDIT
For me using an .ogg sound file in a test project worked well, but my system used my K-Lite codec (more exactly the ffdshow audio decoder) which you probably are not allowed to distribute with commercial games because it's released under GNU.
So you should find a working codec that you are allowed to redistribute with commercial games - if one such exists...
Otherwise your players have to install the XVid codec package or ffdshow separately.

EDIT2:
I have found this:
http://www.xiph.org/dshow/

I can't do a reliable check because ffdshow audio is already on my pc.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:40 pm

I just tested this on a computer that does have K-Lite installed, and it's still a no-go. :( Oh well, it was worth a try.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 8:49 pm

That's really strange :?
For me it works without any problems.

I don't know if it makes a difference which package (basic, standard, full) of K-Lite is installed.

Another thing, did you convert those .ogg files yourself? If you like, you can send me such a file by email attachment to check if they work on my pc.
Just let me know if you send one, so that I check my emails.
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi Mystery,

I'll send a file momentarily.

Note that everything works fine on about 50% of the computer's I've tested. The problem only seems to occur on computers with sound cards built into the motherboard.

Also note that many standard WAVs don't play, either!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Okay, I have checked both:
The ogg file doesn't work - or better said, my ffdshow audio codec pops up, but the file seems to be empty. After waiting for a long time, I hear some sound just as if somebody touched a microphone. That' all. :S
The .wav file works well for me.

If you don't mind, I'm going to send you the .ogg file which I quickly downloaded from the internet to test, and which has worked as I mentioned above. You can test that one, too.
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Mystery wrote:Okay, I have checked both:
The ogg file doesn't work - or better said, my ffdshow audio codec pops up, but the file seems to be empty. After waiting for a long time, I hear some sound just as if somebody touched a microphone. That' all. :S
The .wav file works well for me.

If you don't mind, I'm going to send you the .ogg file which I quickly downloaded from the internet to test, and which has worked as I mentioned above. You can test that one, too.

The sound in that file is just an ambient hiss. Let me send you a file with music.

EDIT - Sent!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Okay, the new ambiance sound that was saved differently, plays a sound similar to a machine throughout the file (the other version that you sent before, was mostly silence).
The music file works also well for me :)
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Hmm...the music OGG doesn't play at all on the computers with the issue.

Do you happen to know whether or not your computer has a soundcard built into the motherboard or a separate sound card?
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Ummm, how can I check that? :oops:

Well I guess since I didn't install one, it's built in... :?

I can see
NVIDIA HDMI Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Okay, my next question: when you tested the audio, did you just open the files, or did you test in AM?
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 9:53 pm

I tested all in a test project in AM :)
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Okay, that's weird. How would you like to test a demo of my game, to see if that works for you? :wink:
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 pm

If I don't need to download a huge file, I'll be happy to check it out for you :)
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:15 pm

...What if you did need to download a huge file? :oops: lol The game demo is almost 900 MB. If you have a slow connection, then that wouldn't work. :?
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 10:17 pm

No, I don't have a slow connection, I just don't like to download huge files :P
But I make an exception for you ;)
I hope the server is fast, too. :)
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks!!! The server is definitely fast. I'll e-mail the link.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Okay, got it :)
I'm going to share my experience with you by email in order not to overstrain this thread ;)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Tue May 26, 2009 3:12 am

This is the exact error message i seen when playing Varion's Devil Sea Demo...
It was because 2 sounds were attempting to play..But--one of the sounds was in the video itself--the other was in the game...codecs didn't help.

Onboard Sound can't have 2 sounds playing at once..I think that's what's going--Or you can't have both enabled Onboard sound and a Sound card.
You may need Winamp with the "Multiple Outputs" plugin..Maybe that might work?

This is how I understood it..when i read on it a while ago..~
mercedes
VIP

Postby CBSection31 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:24 am

So I can't have music in one channel and sound effects in another? That's weird, because it used to work...
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 am

I only have onboard sound and I can have multiple channels. Send me a sample and I'll try it out.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Tue May 26, 2009 3:37 am

You can in a game..within AM...using channels or otherwise..
What i am saying is, the reason why i got this error was because the video itself had sound within in it..At least that's how i understood it..
You have the option when u make a video and put sound in it..while making it..So when the video played and sound played at the same time..during the game..One was trying to use a channel..while the other was trying to use onboard or sound card..I understood it as You can have both enabled..SoundCard and Onboard sound..with AM..or someother software..AM using Media player objects..THe video wouldn't have been..
So in other words those with Onboard sound..would get that error message..or would need multiple outpost plugin of some kind..or those with Sound cards would have no problem perhaps..

At least thats how I understood it..when asking around..
mercedes
VIP

Postby CBSection31 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:02 am

Ah, I understand now. The problem is, this problem is occuring when I am not playing any videos. I am simply in a frame of the game, and some of the audio does not play. No videos or plug-ins used.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Tue May 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Did you see Candle's post on this thread about using Theora? http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4931
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:38 am

UPDATE:

Well, I've made a *small* bit of progress today... I've determined precisely why some WAVs work while others don't.

WAV files work when the frame doesn't change at the same time as the audio is supposed to play.

So, for instance, say you have two frames, FRAME A and FRAME B. FRAME A has two hotspots, HOTSPOT 1 and HOTSPOT 2. Clicking on HOTSPOT 1 plays an audio file called "audio.wav". Clicking on HOTSPOT 2 plays the same audio file, but also goes to FRAME B.

The audio will work when HOTSPOT 1 is clicked, but NOT when HOTSPOT 2 is clicked.

Odd, isn't it?

Also, as mentioned earlier, OGG files don't work either. I have yet to determine if this is because they are all called to play in frame properties or because they are OGG files. Since the OGG files work when opened in an auto program, I am going to guess that it is because they are called to play in frame properties, but I will have to confirm this soon.

Oh, and for reference -- the computer I'm testing this on has an onboard soundcard with IDT audio drivers.

Hopefully, I am getting closer to an answer!!!! :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 am

Finally I had time to finish your demo, and I can now officially say that I didn't encounter any video or sound problems :D
I know this doesn't help to solve the issues with the computers where there seem to be problems though.
Mystery

Postby CBSection31 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 am

Well, I'm glad it worked on your computer, at least!

Since you tested the demo anyway, would you be willing to fill out a beta test questionaire? Totally up to you. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Thu May 28, 2009 5:45 am

Lol, tell your customers to buy a laptop like mine before purchasing your game :lol: :wink:

Of course I'm ready to fill out a questionaire :)
Mystery

Next

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports