I need HELP! Ive got an audio problem help me!?

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

I need HELP! Ive got an audio problem help me!?

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:44 am

ok here's my problem I've tried to put an audio on my game but every time I go to the frame where I put my audio to play a windows pop up saying: audio problem warning another program may be using the audio hardware resources,an audio file may be damaged,or your audio drivers may be unable to play at the same time an audio file and the audio track of a video file. although this error may be safely ignored,it may result in some files not being played. it is recomend that you close all the other windows applications that are running, and that you restart the program. please help! I don't know what to do!
adventurer of adventure

Postby mercedes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:14 am

Hi there..:) Welcome to the forums..!~

Could you explain in a bit more detail..2 Things..

Are u running XP or Vista

Do u have Full version or Free

Thanks..~
Peace
mercedes
VIP

thank you for replying!:)

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:01 am

I'm running vista and am currently using the free edition I'm planning to buy the full edition but I don't have a credit card (yet..) so if there's any that sell in a store I would certainly buy it and I'm new to adventure maker... and thank you for replying:)
adventurer of adventure

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 am

Are you only playing a sound or is there also a video running?
Do you have opened Mediaplayer at the same time?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 am

only sounds and my media player isn't running.
adventurer of adventure

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:18 am

Do you have tried another file?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Re: thank you for replying!:)

Postby mercedes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 am

adventurer of adventure wrote:I'm running vista and am currently using the free edition I'm planning to buy the full edition but I don't have a credit card (yet..) so if there's any that sell in a store I would certainly buy it and I'm new to adventure maker... and thank you for replying:)

I had a feeling it was Vista....:) Sometimes, it's not compatible with sounds..You just have to find the right settings.

What is extention of the audio file..?
Does the error come with all sounds, or just the one..? Please try another sound..
Have you tried to play it outside of AM..
Have you tried it in on any other frame or hotspot?

Also when u try another sound, make sure nothing else is open on the taskbar, to rule anything else out~

FYI..:)

You don't need a credit card to purchase AM..just a paypal account....and a bank card..~ I don't use my credit card online..

Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 am

I also using Vista and have no problems with sound.
I think the sound file is damaged. Or another programm is using sound at the same time.
I would try it with another soundfile.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 am

if I put a video it work fine but when I tried to put only the audio it don't work.I have tried on all frame and it doesn't work! but the audio work just fine out of adventure maker,my media player isn't running and yes I'm using vista oh and I forgot to mention I have tried many of my sound file and it still didn't work! but there is this one file that worked it's the sound file I made with the music maker it's a mid audio file..
adventurer of adventure

Postby mercedes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:55 am

What extension are the sounds..? is it .mp3 or......Try converting them if not..I like mp3 myself..

http://media-convert.com/

Please tell us where u are putting video and where u are putting sound ..:)

Frame Properties or Hotspot Properties for both sound and video?

Thanks..!~

Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 am

Does this only happen in this project?
what happens if you create a new project with one frame and you try to play a sound here?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

i'ts wma (windows media audio) and even if I start a new project it's the same problem with the audio I put the audio in the frame properties same goes to the video but the video got no problem whatsoever maybe I'll try what you said I'll try converting them to mp3 thanks for the link! :)
adventurer of adventure

wohooo yeah!

Postby adventurer of adventure » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 am

thanks guys! now I'm able to play sound on my adventure maker! I'm sorry if I get too excited over this.. it's just that I've been working on this thing since last night at noon not being able to sleep! and once again thanks! it finally work! thanks! after I endlessly search at google and didn't find any answers it was then I decided to join the forums! I'm planning to buy the full edition of adventure maker soon :)
adventurer of adventure

Postby mercedes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:29 am

Np...:) Glad you figured it out...!~
mercedes
VIP

thanks!

Postby adventurer of adventure » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 am

turns out if I put wma as my audio for my game it couldn't work but if I set it to mp3 (like you suggest) it work! thanks again!
adventurer of adventure

Same problem since 3 years I use AM

Postby Roland1958 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi everybody,
I think this audio problem is more complex than a sipmle extension problem.

I notice it happends on some computers and not on others.
today I m just transfering my project on my second computer and with this one I have the audio problem.

What is very strange at the moment when the error message appears, if I go back in the begining of my project on the first frames, the message appears, nevertheless before the this error message sounds play normaly... After the message appears, in ressources management impossible for me to select a file, an erro message says ( unable to display a preview of following file... the file maybe damaged or his extension may not correspond to is rela type).
If I close and restart AM, all audio sounds play normaly as well the wav file as the mpg3 file, until the next time!!! And when I join the specific frame when I have the audio problem the first time, all sounds play normaly... It means this erro is totaly unpredictable. I don't realy understand why it s happens on such frame. I work on XP, for me its not an xp or vista problem. I have XP on my other computer and I never had this problem.

I d like realy understand why this audio problem happens, because, even if the project is compiled it happends for some players. it s very annoyed.

All help is welcome.

Roland
[/code]
Roland1958

Postby Roland1958 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:26 pm

I noticed, if I add a sound somewhere in the project and I come back on a previous frame the erro message appears. But I don't know if it s systhematic.
Roland1958

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:03 pm

:idea: Here is a suggestion to see if it has to do with the sound files you are using with AM.

Download someone else's game on this forum. Or you could download one of mine at http://www.reneuend.info and try it out. If it works fine with someone else's game, then it must be the sound files you are using.

If that's the case, I would suggest try changing the way you process audio files. I would definitely stick with MP3 and/or Wav.

Good luck!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Roland1958 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:06 pm

My opinion it s maybe a problem with multiple audio channels on some computers...
Roland1958

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I don't think so, because the concept of a "channel" in AM is totally different. It doesn't mean an audio stream channel, or a hardware channel, but a separate media player object.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:43 am

I just noticed this thread after posting my own with the same problem:

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... 5415#25415

Converting to MP3 will not work for me, as my game is going to be sold commercially, which means I would need an MP3 license that I cannot afford.

Did anyone discover another workaround for this problem?

Roland, on the computer that it's not working on for you: does that computer only have an audio card built into the motherboard? I believe I've traced this problem to that, but I'm not sure...
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 am

This seems to be an interesting problem, because it occurs on some computers and not on others, while it seems to be independent of the OS (XP or Vista). Plus, this is an AM specific error message, which means that it's not possible to find any infos or solutions by googling. :?

Btw, I have spotted an old thread from 2006 about a similar problem:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?p=5110
I don't know if the issue has ever been solved or not - it would be great to hear back from matthornb or GM about this.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Tue May 26, 2009 5:42 am

Have you tried another converter..? What are u using to covert..Did u try the one in this topic..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Tue May 26, 2009 5:48 am

No, he uses .ogg files (using .mp3 in a commercial game would cost).
The strange thing is that it's working on a part of computers, and the others not.
I don't think that the converter has much to do with this, I rather think that it has to do with the computers (settings, or sound card, or something else which we haven't figured out yet).
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Tue May 26, 2009 5:52 am

Really..? Converting your files to an mp3 format for a commercial game..you need the license for that..? hm..news to me..Good to know though..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Tue May 26, 2009 5:54 am

Well, not the converting itself, but using .mp3 files, because they are copyrighted, and you need to pay a fee if you use .mp3 files in games that you sell.
Yup, selling games seems to be pretty complicated from what we have discussed so far :?
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Tue May 26, 2009 6:07 am

Yup, selling games seems to be pretty complicated from what we have discussed so far

lol...ya really...hahaha..I'm laughing..but it's a little depressing at the same time..

I assumed he owned these sounds? If not, what is the difference in using the ogg files..would you not need a license for them as well..? I guess i ask cause if u have rights to those ones..u should be able to convert them..

The reason why i am leaning towards converting them..is because..perhaps they were originally midi files.. I thought maybe, because midi files aren't playing within AM..that there may still be properties that would interupt playing them? Not properly converted I guess..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Tue May 26, 2009 6:15 am

.ogg files can be freely used in commercial and non-commercial games without the need to pay fees.
As far as I know mp3 was was invented and patented by Fraunhofer Society, and they get a pretty large revenue from the license fees each year.
Mystery

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue May 26, 2009 6:56 am

Perhaps this link could help by using MP3 in commercial games:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/

What about other filetypes like .wav? Can they be used in commercial games?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby CBSection31 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 pm

I hope this helps!

NOT SAFE FOR COMMERCIAL USE:
=======================
MP3 (if over 5000 copies)
MPEG
MPG
AVI with Xvid codec
AVI with DivX codec
AVI with Indeo codec
AVI with MV2/3/4 codec
AVI with ANY OTHER codec not listed below

SAFE FOR COMMERCIAL USE:
====================
JPG (safe as of 2006)
MP3 (if under 5000 copies)
WAV
OGG
Theora video
AVI with MidiVid codec (this is what I use for my videos!)
AVI with Cinepak codec
uncompressed AVI
SWF (flash) - DOES require a license, but it's free to obtain
FLV (flash) - DOES require a license, but it's free to obtain
WMV - DOES require a license, but it's free to obtain
WMA - DOES require a license, but it's free to obtain

If anyone has questions about additional formats, feel free to ask! :)
Last edited by CBSection31 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CBSection31
Code Master

Next

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos