Graphical Puzzle

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Graphical Puzzle

Postby Dalton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi. Well, i?ve bought the Windows XP because the Windows Vista is a *#$!/=<@ (hehehehehe) :lol: .
Now i have 2 querstions. The first one: is there any new contests coming up? Because i?m creating a new adventure game and i intend to use it in a future contest. :wink:
The second question is about creating a graphical puzzle, wich the player has to use the right object in the right place. There are 6 objects for 6 places. And the object will be shown in the places, no matter if is the right place or the wrong. The ideia is the player solving the puzzle only when the last right object is in the right place. How can i do this? :(
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Like Candle said, you'll need to store the moves in variables.

If this was done in one frame, then you could use an array to store the correct combination. Otherwise, you could use a delimited string.

'as an array
combo(0) = 5
combo(1) = 3
combo(2) = 2
combo(3) = 1
combo(4) = 6
combo(5) = 4

'as a delimited string
combination = "5,3,2,1,6,4"

Depending on how you plan to build the game, will vary on how you handle the combination.

If the player is just clicking on hotspots, you would store a value for each hotspot clicked to an array or a variable and then after the 6th click you would check to see if it matched the combination.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Ok, but there?s the pictures of the objects. You know, like in the place number one the gamer must use the object number four, and this object has to be shown in the place...

reneuend wrote:Like Candle said, you'll need to store the moves in variables.

If this was done in one frame, then you could use an array to store the correct combination. Otherwise, you could use a delimited string.

'as an array
combo(0) = 5
combo(1) = 3
combo(2) = 2
combo(3) = 1
combo(4) = 6
combo(5) = 4

'as a delimited string
combination = "5,3,2,1,6,4"

Depending on how you plan to build the game, will vary on how you handle the combination.

If the player is just clicking on hotspots, you would store a value for each hotspot clicked to an array or a variable and then after the 6th click you would check to see if it matched the combination.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:33 pm

How is the user moving the object to the placeholder? When the hotspot is clicked, just change the hotspot to that of the object.

Are you using keyguard 4? (that's how I'd do it!)

I'd change the image cursor to the current object! Then when you clicked on the placeholder(hotspot), change the image on that hotspot to that of the object and change the image cursor. Now I've just told you my secret! I'm designing a board game around keyguard4.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:34 am

Ok, but there?s the pictures of the objects. You know, like in the place number one the gamer must use the object number four, and this object has to be shown in the place..

Hey Dalton..:D

Are the objects in inventory ..Do u simply want the picture to change when they click it..or drag something from inventory over to it for it to change..?
mercedes
VIP

Postby Dalton » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:35 am

Yes, the objects are in the inventory. I want to drag them to the places where they have to be used. But my idea is the gamer puting all the object in any places but then when the last object is on the last place, nothing happens (if the combination is wrong), or something happens (if the if the combination is correct).
reneuend: I wasn?t using the keyguard. But i?ve already got this program :wink: . Is there any video tutorial on the internet about how to use this program? :(

mercedes wrote:
Ok, but there?s the pictures of the objects. You know, like in the place number one the gamer must use the object number four, and this object has to be shown in the place..

Hey Dalton..:D

Are the objects in inventory ..Do u simply want the picture to change when they click it..or drag something from inventory over to it for it to change..?
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 am

I created a tutorial on Keyguard 4 that should be in the next "Bite by Byte" issue.

The KeyGuard method wouldn't be using the inventory to drag from, but clicking on a piece(kg hotspot) and dropping on a board square(kg hotspot).

Using the inventory idea, I'm assuming you would have 6 objects in the inventory that the user would click and drag to a hotspot.

Does the order in which the items are dropped matter? or just getting it on the correct hotspot?

Let me know, and I'll write up a quick sample on how to do it.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 am

A example: there?s 6 holes and i have 6 spheres with diferent colors each. So there?s a combination, and i have a clue about how to use it, but this clue is just to help to solve the puzzle. So if i don?t know the right combination, i?ll use the wrong spheres in the wrong holes, and the hotspots will show a lot of diferent spheres in the holes untill the right combination is done. So if the combination is blue, red, green, yellow, pink and black, the holes will show some diferent images of the spheres in each hole until the gamer find the right combination. My question is how can i do this?

reneuend wrote:I created a tutorial on Keyguard 4 that should be in the next "Bite by Byte" issue.

The KeyGuard method wouldn't be using the inventory to drag from, but clicking on a piece(kg hotspot) and dropping on a board square(kg hotspot).

Using the inventory idea, I'm assuming you would have 6 objects in the inventory that the user would click and drag to a hotspot.

Does the order in which the items are dropped matter? or just getting it on the correct hotspot?

Let me know, and I'll write up a quick sample on how to do it.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 am

Yes, the objects are in the inventory. I want to drag them to the places where they have to be used. But my idea is the gamer puting all the object in any places but then when the last object is on the last place, nothing happens (if the combination is wrong), or something happens (if the if the combination is correct).

I would use the Variable tabs..For instance, when the object let's say its a knife getting dragged to picture..

Create variables called 'Used_knife' and others called 'Used_otherobject' etc..Up to 6 objects~

When the player drags the knife to the picture and u want something to happen have the variable Used_knife=1 and in the advanced have..Action.loadaPicture...ect..~

If the player drags another object..to the same hotspot that the knife is getting dragged too as well, and u still want actions to happen..only not with the knife at that time...have the variable 'used_otherobject=1' Used_knife=0

Does that make sense..?

Edit** we posted around the same time..lol..Not sure if this will help or not..after reading your post..
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

I've attached an example of one way to do this.
You would set the answer combination in the frame properties.

Note: I hard-coded my values in the subroutines. That is something I would NEVER suggest, but this is for a demo only.

Note: I only used 3 slots instead of 6, but this shows the idea of how to do it, you can change this demo to make it work for 6 very easily.

Hope this is what you were looking for! :)
Attachments
spheres.zip
(85.59 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I?ll try the tips and soon i?ll tell if it worked : :D
Thanks! :D

reneuend wrote:I've attached an example of one way to do this.

Note: I hard-coded my values in the subroutines. That is something I would NEVER suggest, but this is for a demo only.

Note: I only used 3 slots instead of 6, but this shows the idea of how to do it, you can change this demo to make it work for 6 very easily.

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Oh boy... I?ve tried and tried, but nothing... This things about varibles are so complicated! :( I think it would be a great ideia if someone created videotutorials about it and post it in the youtube or something :D
Before this graphical puzzle there?s a simple puzzle, wich the gamer needs to use 2 objects in 2 places, and something will happen when he uses the right combination. But the gamer will have to use the 2 objects.
For exemple: i have 2 spheres and i?ll have to use them in 2 holes to open a small door. So the gamer will have to put the right spheres inside the right holes. This puzzle looks like the other one (the graphical puzzle with 6 places and 6 objects) but smaller. What should i do? :(
Dalton wrote:I?ll try the tips and soon i?ll tell if it worked : :D
Thanks! :D

reneuend wrote:I've attached an example of one way to do this.

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 am

Create a hotspot over the closed door, going to a frame with the open door.
Go to the variables tab and make it visible only if the following variables have the value of 1 (create the variables as integers):
firstball
secondball

Create a hotspot over each hole
Now go to items editing.
Drag the corresponding balls into the holes and in the pop-up go to variables and set the variable of each ball to 1
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Ok... i?ll say how it will be the first puzzle: it a wood chest with 2 key holes. There?s 2 keys but they must be used in the right order of the keyholes. If the player uses the wrong order, nothing happens. But in the right order, the chest oppens. I?ve tried use the liberodoggy tips but it didin?t work. :cry:

Lyberodoggy wrote:Create a hotspot over the closed door, going to a frame with the open door.
Go to the variables tab and make it visible only if the following variables have the value of 1 (create the variables as integers):
firstball
secondball

Create a hotspot over each hole
Now go to items editing.
Drag the corresponding balls into the holes and in the pop-up go to variables and set the variable of each ball to 1
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok. This is my first ever youtube tutorial. It's not perfect, but I hope its good enough to get you started! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xrLS2U-pEA
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Imari » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm

That was great, reneuend!
Imari
VIP

Postby Dalton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Yes!!! :D
The video tutorial is great!! :wink:
Thank you reneuend! :lol:

Ok. This is my first ever youtube tutorial. It's not perfect, but I hope its good enough to get you started! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xrLS2U-pEA
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks. I hope it helps!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:05 am

Yes well done Renuend!..

On another note..
The amount of times I've typed in your name in the forums and from the other threads..I've since added it to the dictionary..I got tired of seeing it as an error...underlined in red..Same as Lyberodoggy and Juhu..Shadowhunter ..etc..:lol: So much nicer now..:D..~
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:18 am

I hate to bring this up. but you misspelled it again! :lol:

Robert Eugene Neuendorf
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:20 am

:x ..! I added the wrong name! ..I'm sure..so now i'm going to type it either way and it appear right..haha..not like i can ''edit'' the dictionary :x I was pretty proud of myself there..lol..
mercedes
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:44 am

reneuend wrote:I hate to bring this up. but you misspelled it again! :lol:

Robert Eugene Neuendorf

Say, can we just call you Rene for short?! ;) -hehe

Btw, nice vid! :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 am

Nice video reneuend :D
It would be worth to add it to the tutorial area of this forums, too :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dalton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Yes, it helped me a lot :D
I?ll try to use this in the other graphical puzzle (the 6 objects on the 6 places) :P

reneuend wrote:Thanks. I hope it helps!
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:30 pm

By the way, is there any chance to use the transition when the chest is opened?

reneuend wrote:Thanks. I hope it helps!
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Absolutely!

change the "gotoframe" command to the following on the 2 "drag inventory item" events.

Code: Select all
If lock1 = 1 and lock2 = 1 Then
  Action.GoToFrame "treasure unlocked", 2, 1
End If

You can read about this command and others at: http://adventuremaker.com/support.htm
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Hehehehe :P
Thanks again :wink:

reneuend wrote:Absolutely!

change the "gotoframe" command to the following on the 2 "drag inventory item" events.

End If

You can read about this command and others at: http://adventuremaker.com/support.htm
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:24 am

By the way, am i have to use the same process in the creation of "6 objects & 6 places puzzle"? Sorry for all the questions, but i?m creating a small adventure game and i?m almost finishing the game. :lol:

reneuend wrote:Absolutely!

End If

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 am

If it requires a specific sequence, that is the way I would suggest doing it! Remember: The variable only equals "1" when the user drags it to the correct hotspot. If they drag it to the wrong one, then set it to "0".

Note: In the previous example with 2 locks, there were 2 places you had to put the code shown below. In this instance, you'll need to put the code in 6 locations!

if lock1 = 1 and lock2 = 1 and lock3 = 1 and lock4 = 1 and lock5 = 1 and lock6 = 1 then
  msgbox "how did you ever figure this combination out!"
end if

---

reneuend
Administrator

Next

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion