Windows 7

Everything AM users with W7 computers need to know

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Windows 7

Postby Candle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Right now at this time windows 7 is not supported.
In till GM says it is you are on your own with it. lol
We can try to help but there is no %100 it will work.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:58 pm

I wonder. Does XP mode in Win 7 make any difference?

I didn't know Win 7 was available yet. I put in an early order for it and still haven't received it.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Candle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 am

It's not available yet.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby drdna » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:32 am

reneuend wrote:I wonder. Does XP mode in Win 7 make any difference?

I didn't know Win 7 was available yet. I put in an early order for it and still haven't received it.

Windows 7 Release Candidate has been available since February, downloadable from Microsoft for free, and was updated to Final last month. It was available to the public from February till the 20th of this month. Those that have been using it ( Like myself ) will get a discount when it's released this October. The version I have now is what will be shipped. I have to tell you it's sweet, EXCEPT AM will not play any media content. Everything else seems to function ok.

Windows 7 uses media Player 12, which has not been released nor is it in Vista ( from what I understand ). It is completely different from any previous versions since it supports many extras such as Divx, etc without 3rd party codex. From what I read from Microsoft, it was a complete re-write, and doesn't use or include ANY of the previous version .ocx or .dll registered extensions. This is where I think the issue lies. Any compatibility mode will also not work because the necessary files do not exist in Windows 7.

Candle, since I'm one who is in a jam with this, I'll be more than happy to help in any way with correcting the problem. I have a fully working Windows 7 system ( Legal of course ), and until now, have used AM regularly.

DrDNA (Craig)
drdna

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 am

Try installing this http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

I 've heard that the early versions of the new wmp deleted the first 30" of the songs they played... lol
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Candle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 am

Windows 7 Release Candidate
So in till GM comes back and has some news about windows 7 we have to go with not supported at this time.
There is no problem with you using it with windows 7 , we just can't say it will work.
It was the same thing with Vista for a few months .
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby drdna » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 am

Candle wrote:Windows 7 Release Candidate
So in till GM comes back and has some news about windows 7 we have to go with not supported at this time.
There is no problem with you using it with windows 7 , we just can't say it will work.
It was the same thing with Vista for a few months .

Understood.
drdna

Postby CBSection31 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:27 pm

I've sent off an e-mail to GM asking if/when Windows 7 will be supported. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon! My game is almost done, but I need to wait until AM supports Windows 7 before I can start beta testing.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby ShadowHunter » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi all,

I don't want to be negative and I do perhaps not have the latest information about GM but:

I would say, IF GM comes back... seems he vanished years ago... I find that a REAL pity and gues AM 4.5 is the final version before it becomes abandonware... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nonethless I keep working on my latest plugin because its kind of a hobby but I have the feeling we are keeping AM on life support...

Please share your thoughts...

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby CBSection31 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:47 pm

I last talked with GM a few months ago, when I released the demo to my game. As of then, he was still providing tech support. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:21 am

I sent GM a PM last spring and it still hasn't been answered. I believe ShadowHunter might be correct in that there probably won't be an update to AM. I hope I'm wrong.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am

If there isn't an update from GM, is there any way someone here can find a way to update the engine so that it works with Windows 7? I'm willing to pay for this feature.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:11 am

I 'd like to see AM become open-source instead of abandonware
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Candle » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 am

I have sent a few emails awhile back and have not heard back from GM so have no idea what is going on.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Imari » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:18 pm

I just checked, the last time he posted here was Feb 27, 2009. Yeesh, I too would be very sad to see AM become abandonware.
Imari
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:34 pm

If the community can support it won't... Even if we have to rebuild it from scratch...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Lyberodoggy, you like Java...I've been working in Java since 1997. It might be a cool project! :wink:

Of course, I'd rather that AM survive! Who wants to reinvent something that works so well already?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

I can't believe what I'm reading! :shock:
Is this true? GM is not going to give more support, and will not get any new version? :cry:
I do not understand, AM seems a promising project and full of possibilities.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Candle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am

Vairon, we don't know anything right now.
So don't get worried about it till we hear something from GM.
This is just talk right now.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi Vairon,

Candle is correct, this is talk and concerns we don't have any real information... for all that mathers GM is abroad for long time assigments, he could be ill or has his hands full with his childeren... but this is private matter and we should respect that.

Nontheless it would be nice to know were we stand sicne people still are buying licenseses and are investing in new projects.

I hope that GM reads this concern and provides feedback related to the long term vision of AM. Because AM needs a major update of the core, VB6 is very old and OCX is not even supported in VB.NET.

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Vairon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks for your reassuring words Candle and Shadow, I think like you.
Personally I have high hopes for 2010 with new projects, hence my concern.
I suppose We'll have to have a little patience. :)
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:07 pm

ShadowHunter wrote:1)Nontheless it would be nice to know were we stand sicne people still are buying licenseses and are investing in new projects.

2)I hope that GM reads this concern and provides feedback related to the long term vision of AM. Because AM needs a major update of the core, VB6 is very old and OCX is not even supported in VB.NET.

1)Is licencing automated? Or does GM have to do it manually? We could ask KAGI (the licencing site) to contact GM for us :)

2)Yeah, double that

Still the current version of AM is stable enough...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Stable

Postby Harvester » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm

It is stable, but since Windows 7 is out, everybody who plans commercial games will definitely need full compatibility, especially if it won't be self-released but by a larger company. I don't think many company would say yes for releasing a game that doesn't support an OS with rapidly growing number of users. So without Win7 compatibility commercial version will soon be unfair for purchasers. I think.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: Stable

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Harvester wrote:It is stable, but since Windows 7 is out, everybody who plans commercial games will definitely need full compatibility, especially if it won't be self-released but by a larger company. I don't think many company would say yes for releasing a game that doesn't support an OS with rapidly growing number of users. So without Win7 compatibility commercial version will soon be unfair for purchasers. I think.

Harvester

Yes, I agree with that, however the one resposible for the incompatibility is M$, who have decided not to include the necessary files in the new OS. That makes this program along with a large library of other useful programs go to the recycle bin in order to have developers buy their new development software... In my opinion all of this is Microsoft's fault...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Harvester is absolutely right, and that is what I'm facing right now. My game will be completed within a month, but publishing companies are saying they won't even look at it unless it is fully compatible with Windows 7.

Lyberodoggy is right that it is Microsoft's fault for not making their OS backwards compatible...but regardless, Microsoft isn't going to suffer over it; indie developers like myself are.

Does anyone who has Windows 7 know - specifically - what does and doesn't work with AM? Is it only media files, or are there other issues, as well? I think that determining what needs to be updated to make the engine compatible will be the first step toward a fix!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Candle » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 am

``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:51 am

It wasn't long ago..that I contacted him...and he responded..he responds pretty promptly in the past to emails i've sent..tech related..and such..I've sent him another one...I doubt he reads this forum much anymore..Probably because he might be overwhelmed when he comes here..with so many posts..So i've emailed him our concerns for both AM and his health..I hope he responds...I will definitely let u know..:) Fingers are crossed..:D
mercedes
VIP

update this thread please

Postby sempaix » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:39 am

Update this thread im thinking of upgrading to 7 so is Adventure maker supports it now?
sempaix

Postby CBSection31 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:07 pm

No, the situation is still unresolved. AM does not work in Windows 7 at this time, and we cannot fix it without hearing from GM, the engine's creator.
CBSection31
Code Master

So soemone send him an email

Postby sempaix » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:13 am

So someone send him an email ? to upgrade it
sempaix

Next

Return to Windows 7 issues