Need Your Help.. Again.. (School)

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Need Your Help.. Again.. (School)

Postby chickens1127 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 am

Hi. Been Busy. Srry. :D

Anyways, before I graduate and go off to high school, I need to do a ciriciulum fair project. I've read over 40 books on The Napoleonic Era, especially naval warfare, so that was a no-brainer for my topic: Therefore,
Q: What were the different naval warefare tactics of the latter part of the Age Of Sail and how did they affect the battles fought? (Phew. :) )

So, I've written an 8 page research paper, I now need to do a 3 pane backboard, those foam boards which have three panels, and give a presentation to teacher and class, and then parents on a Friday night. (Ugh.)

Now, my question to you. I need to build a 3D part. My parents suggested a diaramma and to cut out little blocks of wood to repersent ships and add dowels as masts and then make a mock battle, like The Battle Of Champlain. However, it would all look very rough, since it would be 40+ hours of work to paint and rig each ship. (I dont have that much time= 2 weeks)

So, what should my 3D part be? Either a diaramma, maybe I make a battle simulator and have a laptop, make a documentry and bring in a mini-tv, maybe one of those boards like in a museum when you click a button a chain of LEDs light up to show troop movement? Or Something Else? Please respond when you get a chance.
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby reneuend » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 am

In my opinion, there is no time to build a good simulator, or a Video (unless you enough experience to do it quickly). I think with the short amount of time, I would do as your parents suggested. It may seem simple, but you will have time to do it right and work out any kinks. Professional architects build models much the same way. There is no flash, but it represents the point very well.

Here is an idea: build the 3d models as your parents suggested. If you find you have time, build a tabletop size lightbox with a pexiglass top that the light shines through. Instead of one light, wire up lights and buttons to show how the movements would have been done. Make a grid on the tabletop and a light under each grid's cell. This will give people something to play with while they are looking at your project.

Otherwise, if you can recruit enough AMers then they can build the 3D models, and you can code the frames. :D

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well no matter what you decide!
Main point is to get it roughed out with something that will work, then improve on it with the remaining time you have. Then you won't fall short!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for so much help!

1. Yea, videogame's a little short. But I definately could do like a 8 minute documentry on a laptop.
2. Yes, you have a great suggestion with the models. I really like the idea of incorporating the LED light chains into the project (real simple circuit) Only problem, is that since the kids that go to our school have parents who have MONEY, they usually build these over the top diarammas. Now, I'm just worried if I cut out wood blocks and a dowel and put some paint on it that people will think it's a little rough and I put no time into my project.

However, with an interactive LED display which lights up(everyone loves those :) ) and a mother who got her college degree in fine art, it'll work out great.

Thanks!
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Return to General Chat