Commercial Privilges Question..

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Commercial Privilges Question..

Postby Netjera » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Greetings,

Can I make free animations to post on a commercial website for my customers to see, with the full version? I realize I need to upgrade if I'm releasing a game for sale, but I wondered if that was required of any commercial-related use (such as posting freebies to a commercial website) or just anything that actually makes money.

Just want to be sure I don't violate license and give everyone their fair due. :)

Thanks!
A woman on a mission - a budding artist looking for a place to take root, a builder looking for the right community - I'm looking for a home.
Netjera
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 pm

The AM website says about the commercial license:
Make money with the software you create with Adventure Maker (directly or indirectly, by placing advertisements on your website, by selling the software, by using the software as a way to attract more customers to another product, or by any other means).

I don't know if the part that I've made bold above, applies to your situation or not.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby ZeornWarlock » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 pm

AM can be used for making other things than videogames. Obviously, I cannot speak for GM-Support, but anything that helps you make money has a very good chance to be tagged as commercial use.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Netjera » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Yeah it's ... ambiguous.. that's why I was asking. I've been keeping a learning diary on my website for the last two years. It chronicles what I'm working on - at the moment, that's life drawing, for example. What I'm trying to do, is collect all the drawings into a gallery so that people can look through them. It won't be downloadable (if I can figure out how to embed it in the website, that's what I'm going to do).

It won't be sold for profit, and it won't be used to advertise anything on the site. It's strictly to show off the stuff I've learned. However, it *will* be on a commercial site. My hope is to (someday) make money on games, as I'm disabled and have to work from home. So the site is set up, to show off the games I've been trying to work on.

Additionally, I'll be redoing the site over the next three months, to showcase more of the work I've done for clients, in the hopes of gaining more contract work. So, as I said - it's ambiguous. It won't be used for anything other than a visual diary, but it *is* on a commercial site - which is why I asked.

If it falls under the commercial license, then it's going to have to wait until I determine whether or not AM can do what I need it to do for the games I'm trying to write, and for me to scrape together the money to upgrade the license - which could be three months - so I'll have to put everything on hold.

I just wanted to be sure before I posted anything. I don't want to offend anyone, and I think AM is a terrific program. I was going to use it for galleries even if I can't use it for games. Although that might change if I have to pay for the commercial license to do that, and IF I find that it doesn't work for the games I'm making.

Thanks for trying to answer, though.
A woman on a mission - a budding artist looking for a place to take root, a builder looking for the right community - I'm looking for a home.
Netjera
Frequent Poster

Postby Netjera » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:28 am

So did we decide that using this to make a gallery of learning material, not used for advertising any other product or service, but existing on a commercial website, was a commercial use, or not? :)
Netjera
Frequent Poster

dont

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 pm

I don't think that is regarded as commercial.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Netjera » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks!

I think what I'll do is put it together, drop it on a test portion of the site, and then I'll link to it here when it's done. That way, the owners of AM can examine what I did and make the determination before I post it on the main part of the site.
Netjera
Frequent Poster

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion