Windows 7 - Its been rough

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Windows 7 - Its been rough

Postby reneuend » Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 am

After I built a new system with Windows 7, my ability to build AM games has been at a near standstill. It doesn't help when the opportunity to work on AM is scarce!

I had to build a duel boot system on my work laptop using Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. After that experience, I've decided to do the same with my Windows 7 machine, by adding XP. The nice thing is, you don't have to add an actual partition to your hard drive, you can create a virtual hard drive. If anyone is interested on how to do this, just let me know. I think this will help get me going again. I tried using Virtual PC on Win7, but it isn't completely compatable to XP, which is too bad because you can work between windows 7 and XP at the same time.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Candle » Fri May 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Use Sun VirtualBox, it's free and will/should work on windows 7 and you can run XP at the same time.
http://www.virtualbox.org/
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Sat May 22, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks Candle.

Has anyone tried using AM with Virtual Box? I'd be interested in knowing if it worked. If not, I guess I can be the guinea pig! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Imari » Sat May 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Just a question.... until AM has full compatibility with Windows 7, aren't we beating our heads against the wall trying to build games in it? I was building in AM and CPage, but have abandoned AM because Windows 7 is rapidly replacing XP. I mean, figuring out work arounds in order to build the game is one thing, but if your player has to jump through hoops to play it....
Imari
VIP

Postby Candle » Sat May 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I no longer make games so can't tell you if it will.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Tue May 25, 2010 3:49 am

That's why I'm adding duel boot. My current system is Windows 7 and instead of trying to make any of my current games work with Windows 7, I'm adding XP as a second system.

You're right about people adopting Windows 7 very quickly. It's a very solid OS. I hope AM adopts Windows 7 too :!:

DUAL BOOT DONE! I finally had some time to get dual boot working with Windows 7 and XP. I started working on my old projects yesterday and hope to fulfill some promises I made on this forum. The first one is the plugin for Load/Save games.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Imari wrote:Just a question.... until AM has full compatibility with Windows 7, aren't we beating our heads against the wall trying to build games in it? I was building in AM and CPage, but have abandoned AM because Windows 7 is rapidly replacing XP. I mean, figuring out work arounds in order to build the game is one thing, but if your player has to jump through hoops to play it....

Most users haven't gone to Windows 7. I plan on using AM until I finish 3 more games I've started: Shayne: Friends in Low Places, Rotten Luck, and Get out of the Dark. I'll make a decision when I'm close to finishing these projects, but I'm hopeful that AM will be Windows 7 compliant by then.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to General Chat