Is it possible to protect External files?

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Is it possible to protect External files?

Postby Sofi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

Hi all,

In my software I am using Flash movie (swf-files) where located automatically in External files directory. I f the user explore this folder after installation he or she can copy these Flash movie files and use them where he wants. My software is 80% from Flash movie.
Is there any solution for this problem?

BR
Sofi
Sofi

Postby reneuend » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Are you saying that you don't want the user to copy the files?

One way is to name the files to something uninteresting and during game play, rename them to something usable. Just be sure to rename them back to something uninteresting when you're done playing them in the game.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:53 pm

There's an option you can also encryp video files in AM.

If you click create executable,then click distributions options then other.

Here you can check "Also encrypt Audio and Video files".

I'm not sure if this works also with swf files
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi,

Encryption is hardly the word... it just changes the file extensions based on the date. VB code on the other hand is encrypted (compressed) by AM via something similar to Huffman based on the project name.

What you need is a tool to alter the hex values of you file (encrypt), the reverse will happen when playing your game via an OCX... the decrypted file must then be stored in the memory (or a temp location) and used by AM and removed again.

Of course this comes with a price... slowness... :wink:

You could also only change the file header... faster.

I'm afraid you will have to write some code to create a plugin. Perhaps some ready to use tools can be used like http://www.kindisoft.com/index.php?ref= ... 3godnAm0mA , never tried it though...

In IMHO this is not worth the effort as most people will have no use for game parts... I always checkout the BINK movie files in a game first, but thats it :lol:

Good luck...

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:42 pm

ShadowHunter wrote:Hi,

Encryption is hardly the word... it just changes the file extensions based on the date. VB code on the other hand is encrypted (compressed) by AM via something similar to Huffman based on the project name.

What you need is a tool to alter the hex values of you file (encrypt), the reverse will happen when playing your game via an OCX... the decrypted file must then be stored in the memory (or a temp location) and used by AM and removed again.

Of course this comes with a price... slowness... :wink:

You could also only change the file header... faster.

I'm afraid you will have to write some code to create a plugin. Perhaps some ready to use tools can be used like http://www.kindisoft.com/index.php?ref= ... 3godnAm0mA , never tried it though...

In IMHO this is not worth the effort as most people will have no use for game parts... I always checkout the BINK movie files in a game first, but thats it :lol:

Good luck...

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr

Hehe you tell the truth!
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:30 pm

:wink:
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion