Odd Question - Expansion Pack Potential

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Odd Question - Expansion Pack Potential

Postby CBSection31 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 am

Hi all,

I know that this community has been largely abandoned, but I'm hoping someone comes along to answer this question...

Has anyone experimented with the possibility of creating expansion packs to an Adventure Maker game? I am wondering whether or not it would work.

Specifically, imagine releasing an AM game. The user installs the game and plays it up to a certain point.

Could I, as the developer, then create additional areas for players to explore within the same game, package only those added areas, and release the package as an installable EXE?

Theoretically, the end result would be the user installing the expansion into the same folder as the base game, loading his/her save, and being able to enter the new areas. Obviously, this would require updating some of the files from the base game, as well.

Would this at all possible? Thanks in advance for your time and help!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:13 am

You can try to use the Inno Installer for this.
As the filedirectory from the installed game is the same as the uncompiled you can try to copy the new files into the existing gamefiles.

I dont have tested it, but I think it should be possible.

Greetings Juhu
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby CBSection31 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I was done with AM, but I've come up with a possible use for it in an unusual non-adventure game, but it's going to require a LOT of tweaking and testing... :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Yeah! Am is not death! It just brings you up to other ideas!
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:15 am

I 'd suggest using AM's installation creator and manually removing the already installed resources by tweaking the installation ini we use to add desktop sortcuts etc
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby General Failure » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:13 pm

CB, you make me curious. I'd really like to know what you are working on. But I also understand if you don't want to talk about it.
General Failure

Postby CBSection31 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:26 am

I will be announcing details soon--though, in truth, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use AM for it yet. I might opt to use Multimedia Fusion 2 instead, as it will make several things easier. I'm still planning out the details. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

MMF2

Postby Harvester » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 am

MMF2 is the right solution. For everything that is not 3d :) I've been using it's different versions for more than a decade now. A pleasure to work with and it's compatible virtually with any systems.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby CBSection31 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Agreed. I've been using MMF since the early days of Klik & Play! AM is just tempting me due to laziness, since I need to code a lot more in MMF2...but I'm leaning toward it anyway, because it seems to be working better for my purposes. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports