My game doesn´t work on iphone

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for iPhone and iPod touch.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

My game doesn?t work on iphone

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Ok, after following the tutorial, i made a very simple example game just to see how it worked on iphone. But, after uploding to my website, i get a black screen. First the adventure maker credit appears and then only black with a small square with a question mark at the left upper side. Anybody can help me why is that? I have iphone 4, can this be a problem? I was really excited about making some small interective apps and now i?m getting disapointed. Thanks a lot.
jleao

Postby PWNage_PWR » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 am

What kind of website is yours?
PWNage_PWR

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 am

I uploaded the files to my website:

jsaguedes.com/jogos

And if you go there with your iphone you will see what i mean. It was just a very quick experience, nothing great, just a few pictures with links between them to see if i could open the game on my iphone 4. but, as i said before, i only see a black screen and a blue question mark? Can you help me? I can?t find anyone complaining here at the forum so i?m probably doing something wrong. Thanks.
jleao

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi,

Just tested the website with Firefox, and your game indeed doesn't seem to work - there is a broken image link shown for me.

Did you upload the output folder?
You then need to link to the index.htm file in order to make it work.

For example:
Let's say you name the output folder that AM produces
mygame
Then the link of your game would be www.yourwebsite.com/mygame/index.htm

Or if you upload the mygame folder into your games folder on your server, then the game link would be:
www.yourwebsite.com/games/mygame/index.htm
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks for your help, but i did all that. I?m getting crazy here, can?t understand what?s the problem and why the broken image. It seems he doesn?t like my images - because it?s running the app (at least, the adventure maker copyright message appears at the beginning).

You think the pictures taken with the iphone could be a problem? The format, size? I believe adventure maker automatically converts to the right dimensions, right? Well, i will make a few more trials...i think this is a great tool, unfortunely it seems the creator abandoned it, right?

Now, with the new smartphones and all, it would be a great time to go back to this project. I can?t understand why there?s no new version. i?d be the first to pay for it...if i first can make it work right in my website, ehehe. cheers.
jleao

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi,

Can you zip up the output folder and send me as email attachment? (you find my email in my profile)
Then I can check it :)
Mystery

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks for your help, but i did all that. I?m getting crazy here, can?t understand what?s the problem and why the broken image. It seems he doesn?t like my images - because it?s running the app (at least, the adventure maker copyright message appears at the beginning).

You think the pictures taken with the iphone could be a problem? The format, size? I believe adventure maker automatically converts to the right dimensions, right? Well, i will make a few more trials...i think this is a great tool, unfortunely it seems the creator abandoned it, right?

Now, with the new smartphones and all, it would be a great time to go back to this project. I can?t understand why there?s no new version. i?d be the first to pay for it...if i first can make it work right in my website, ehehe. cheers.
jleao

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Ummm, you have reposted your previous answer :shock:

Anyhow, if you want to send me the zipped folder, my offer still stands to check it :)
Mystery

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry, don?t know how i did the repost thing, ehehe.

OK, i can send you my test files later tonight, altough it seems the problem isn?t my files. I tried compliling the sample iphone game included with adventure maker and i uploaded the resulting folder into my website. THE SAME HAPPENS... cant?t understand what?s happening.
After compiling, adventure maker saves the folder with the name i chosen (exemple:game) followed by the word output (game output). I always rename this folder before uploading to my site, so that there?s no spaces between words (it bacames "game" or "gameoutput"). Am i doing it alright?
After that, i upload the files (i notice the index as always an "html" sufix, while the other pages have a "htm" sufix. Is that normal too?)
Then i go to safari and open my website (jsaguedes.com/game/index.html) That?s all, right?
Well, it stlll doesn?t work...

Thanks
jleao

Postby jleao » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Another thing: I?m using the online tool from my hosting to upload my files. Does that make a difference? I?m kind of beginner on this website business, ehehe. Also, my website account is a windows account and not linux, but i believe there?s no problem there, right? As you see, i?m really not a professional at this, ehehe.
jleao

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

So far that sounds right (if I didn't miss anything).
Okay then send me the folder and maybe we can figure out something :)

EDIT
I don't know if the issue is your host or your files or something else.
That's why I'd like to check it on my server, where my online games have so far worked :)
After checking I can say more.
Mystery

Return to Creating Software for iPhone and iPod Touch