Will AM Work With Windows 7 XP Mode?

Everything AM users with W7 computers need to know

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Will AM Work With Windows 7 XP Mode?

Postby 3dgamer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello Everybody! :)

Yes, I know it's been a long time since I signed in last and I have been dealing with a lot of RL (Real Life) stuff, but I am hoping to make a come back with gaming soon.

With that in mind, I have been browsing the forum and have noticed that there have been some issues with Windows 7 and AM. My concern now is that I am at a decision point having to get another computer and I am trying to decide if to go the Windows 7 with XP mode route or buy an "end of life" XP machine (however, supplies seem to be going fast).

Has anyone tried creating and compiling games in Window 7's XP Mode? If so, what results have you had? As some of you know I do a lot of 3D animation and graphics in my games, along with sound so this is critical for me. I am also wondering if I need to get an older, but working, XP box just for running and compiling AM.

I am kind of at a juncture right now so saving "drachmas" is key. Any suggestions/advice is truly appreciated!

Thanks! :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 am

Hi 3D,

That's a very good question. I tried using virtual pc on Win7 on an older version of AM and it didn't work. At that time, it was version not compatible with Win7. I eventually created a dual boot system so I could run Win7 and XP separately.

Now with the new version, you should be able to use virtual pc because most of the issues are gone. I'll have to try it out. If it works, then I can get rid of my dual boot.

My bet is that it WILL work.

By the way, its nice to hear from you again! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby 3dgamer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 am

Hey reneuend, good hearing from you, :)

Thanks for the feedback. This sounds good. Being able to use AM is my biggest factor for purchasing a system because I consider it my main game authoring tool. I really don't have a desire to use any of the game authoring systems since my games will be adventure games and AM is the best I have found on the Net that is suited for that purpose, without having a lot of blotware, code hasseling, etc. [ my compliments to the Chef, GM-Support ;) ]

Again, thanks a lot for the help and hope to see you around more often!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 am

I agree with your sentiments about adventure game tools. There really isn't anything out there that compares with the ease of use and power that AM provides.

If you run into any issues while building a game, please be sure to come out here and ask. I and others have found some workarounds. The biggest headache right now is that you can't change the volume of audio files.

GM is working on a new release and hopefully this will be addressed. He has come with a new version of cubic panaroma and has mentioned a new and better version of it coming out later. He's looking for beta testers.

I'm finishing up a new game called, "rotten luck" using the latest AM version on Windows 7. Really, the only issue I've run into is not being able to change the volume, which caused issues where my background sound is drowning out my narration and character's voices. I don't think it detracts too much from my game as its not a serious game anyway.

I better stop here as I'm getting off subject. Candle's gonna get after me! :P
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Candle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:31 pm

And soon there will be windows 8.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

Crazy...how does anyone keep up?
I hope it doesn't become another issue.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Ikonz101 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 pm

Has anyone tried this method yet? Just to get a understanding of the question - does this mean that you compile a game under Windows XP and make it run under Windows 7 using the compatibility mode of Windows XP?

Thank You
Ikonz101
Ikonz101
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:56 am

You can compile in XP and it will run in Win7 native. No need for compatibility mode.

But I believe the original question was will the AM tool work in Virtual PC on Win7 (virtual PC runs XP in Win7)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Ikonz101 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:17 am

So I can make the game in Windows XP and it won't have any of the Windows 7 issues (sound and video) when playing on Windows 7?

Thank You
Ikonz101
Ikonz101
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:36 am

As long as you use the latest version, it won't have issues that aren't already a problem with Win7. The worst being the fact that you can't adjust the volumne.

In other words, if I compile it in Win7, it will work the same in XP as it does in Win7 and visa-versa.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Ikonz101 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Ah that makes sense... Hopefully the Win7 issues get ironed out. Thanks for the reply reneuend.

Ikonz101
Ikonz101
Frequent Poster

Postby GM-Support » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

reneuend wrote:As long as you use the latest version, it won't have issues that aren't already a problem with Win7. The worst being the fact that you can't adjust the volumne.

In other words, if I compile it in Win7, it will work the same in XP as it does in Win7 and visa-versa.

I concur.

By the way, as far as the "XP Mode" of Win7 is concerned, everything should work the same as on XP except the 360-degree panoramas (cubic and cylindrical) because they require DirectX 3d graphics which I don't think are supported in the "XP Mode" of Win7.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Windows 7 issues