The Black Wish Cemetery

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Random Errors on Video Cut Scenes with Win7

Postby reneuend » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 am

I ran the game and was doing fine, when one of the cut scenes that works normally didn't load. I got the spinning blue circle that Win7 displays when it is busy. The game executable wasn't responding. So, I loaded the project file and tested it from debug mode and it worked fine.

I was wrong in my 1st observation above. You can click on videos in Win7 and they don't cause errors. There is something else at play here.

More on this later....stay tuned!

(update) I found if I visit this cut scene early in the game, AM doesn't crash, but if I come later in the game it does. I don't know what would cause this, but it sounds like a Win7 issue. My next test will be with Win XP.

Stay tuned....

(update) Win XP test: The game works fine in XP Pro. Win7 seems to have to a limit with the number of videos before it can't handle anymore. That's how it appears anyway because issues don't occur until later in the game.

My recommendation: Release this for Win XP and Vista, but warn about Win7.

Two other tests I should try in Win7.

(1)What if I save the game just before the cut scene, quit, and then reload the save game. Will it play the cut scene by clearing out the memory?

(2) What about a different cut scene? Theoretically, this issue should occur on any other video and not just this one.

Stay tuned....

(1) After saving and quitting the game, I was able to load and play the cut scene that was locking the game up before. I made it the very last scene, but then I got an error: "error while attempting to play video, "EndGame.avi" method '~' of object '~' failed.

I'll see about the issue with this and also answer number 2.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Re: Random Errors on Video Cut Scenes with Win7

Postby Dalton » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Wooow... there?s a lot of bugs to fix it.
About the idea of release the game for Win XP and Vista, but warn about Win7, I think is a great idea. I will wait mercedes to play the game because I wanna know what she thinks about the story line :D

reneuend wrote:I ran the game and was doing fine, when one of the cut scenes that works normally didn't load. I got the spinning blue circle that Win7 displays when it is busy. The game executable wasn't responding. So, I loaded the project file and tested it from debug mode and it worked fine.

I was wrong in my 1st observation above. You can click on videos in Win7 and they don't cause errors. There is something else at play here.

More on this later....stay tuned!

(update) I found if I visit this cut scene early in the game, AM doesn't crash, but if I come later in the game it does. I don't know what would cause this, but it sounds like a Win7 issue. My next test will be with Win XP.

Stay tuned....

(update) Win XP test: The game works fine in XP Pro. Win7 seems to have to a limit with the number of videos before it can't handle anymore. That's how it appears anyway because issues don't occur until later in the game.

My recommendation: Release this for Win XP and Vista, but warn about Win7.

Two other tests I should try in Win7.

(1)What if I save the game just before the cut scene, quit, and then reload the save game. Will it play the cut scene by clearing out the memory?

(2) What about a different cut scene? Theoretically, this issue should occur on any other video and not just this one.

Stay tuned....

(1) After saving and quitting the game, I was able to load and play the cut scene that was locking the game up before. I made it the very last scene, but then I got an error: "error while attempting to play video, "EndGame.avi" method '~' of object '~' failed.

I'll see about the issue with this and also answer number 2.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 am

Actually, its just one bug and its a Win7 issue. Does anyone have an idea how to get around this?

I'll post it with the Win7 area of the forum.

Test 1. I was able to save, quit, and reload just before the cut scene that had the error. It worked fine this time and made it to the end.

Dalton. I love the ambient music for this story...it all fits very well!

(update) I just played the entire game in Win7 without an issue.....of course, I know the game by heart now, but the videos didn't fail this time....seems to be just something that's unstable in Win7.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah, the sounds and ambient musics are really nice. Too bad they can only be use for free games. I think we could win some $$$ with the Black Wish Cemetery but for this I will have to create all the sounds effects and music. Well, with the Black Wish Mansion will be different :D
Do you know if mercedes downloaded the files to play it? I think she could play the exe first to get the story line and then she use the files to find the bugs, what you think?

reneuend wrote:Actually, its just one bug and its a Win7 issue. Does anyone have an idea how to get around this?

I'll post it with the Win7 area of the forum.

Test 1. I was able to save, quit, and reload just before the cut scene that had the error. It worked fine this time and made it to the end.

Dalton. I love the ambient music for this story...it all fits very well!

(update) I just played the entire game in Win7 without an issue.....of course, I know the game by heart now, but the videos didn't fail this time....seems to be just something that's unstable in Win7.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby ZeornWarlock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Yeah, the sounds and ambient musics are really nice. Too bad they can only be use for free games.

About the music, if I recall right from when I played the demo I think it's a piece of music I uploaded here a while ago before most of the older files from this site got lost.

I'll check out where I put the original files, but I'm pretty I stated the music could be used commercially.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Well, if that music was from you ZW, I'll know who to ask for some in the future! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:39 pm

But it?s not only the musics. The sound effects can not be used in a commercial game. And I think the game stills short to be a commercial game. Let?s make the second game a commercial adventure game, ok? :D

reneuend wrote:Well, if that music was from you ZW, I'll know who to ask for some in the future! :-)
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby ZeornWarlock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 pm

reneuend wrote:Well, if that music was from you ZW, I'll know who to ask for some in the future! :-)

Well I hope it's the same one, it's been quite a while since I've played the demo, but it sure sounded like the music I had uploaded. By the way is there a link to the latest version of the demo? That way I could confirm it's the same music.

In any case, I still have the original files. The read-me I had included in it back then stated that it can be used commercially so long as it is used with AM 's full commercial version.

reneuend, I'm no music artist, you're better off with the likes of Harvester who is very talented. I just did the music with AM's music maker anyway and I still have the music maker file too lol.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am

Hi guys...I just got back...Happy Easter all!~

I'm about to download it now...I have both exe and project file...
I thought I would dl the project file..and run it like the game...

This way if there are any errors..I can write it down in a message..at the same time....I'm also hoping I don't get stuck..lol..:D

I'm running XP

p.s TTus..!~ I should be able to play it at some point tomorrow morning/afternoon..

I"m happy to hear there are no more errors..~ That's great news!
mercedes
VIP

Postby Dalton » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Zeon. I changed the musics when I upgraded the graphics of the game. So, there?s no song from you.... sorry.

ZeornWarlock wrote:

Well I hope it's the same one, it's been quite a while since I've played the demo, but it sure sounded like the music I had uploaded. By the way is there a link to the latest version of the demo? That way I could confirm it's the same music.

In any case, I still have the original files. The read-me I had included in it back then stated that it can be used commercially so long as it is used with AM 's full commercial version.

reneuend, I'm no music artist, you're better off with the likes of Harvester who is very talented. I just did the music with AM's music maker anyway and I still have the music maker file too lol.

ZW.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:23 am

Hi mercedes. Just wait Reneuend send the upgraded files, ok? :D
I think you have the old files.

mercedes wrote:Hi guys...I just got back...Happy Easter all!~

I'm about to download it now...I have both exe and project file...
I thought I would dl the project file..and run it like the game...

This way if there are any errors..I can write it down in a message..at the same time....I'm also hoping I don't get stuck..lol..:D

I'm running XP

p.s TTus..!~ I should be able to play it at some point tomorrow morning/afternoon..

I"m happy to hear there are no more errors..~ That's great news!
Dalton
Expert Member

Previous

Return to New Games Announcements