Free to Full Version file conversion error

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Free to Full Version file conversion error

Postby PanM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi, Pan M here. I had the free version of AM and upgraded to the Full version, but now my old files won't convert to an executable in the Full version. Says missing a file. Anybody have this problem and if yes, what did you do to fix? Thanks Pan M
PanM

Postby reneuend » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Congrats on upgrading to full! I haven't had this problem you're running into, but I would suggest backing up your project folder, and then unInstalling AM and reinstalling.

"Mystery" is the AM genius. Hopefully, Mystery will be online soon to add to this conversation.

By the way, I would also suggest using Lyberodoggy's cool Adventure Maker Project Management tool. It makes it easy to do backup's of your projects on a regular basis. (See the last AM magazine issue 16 for more information)

AM Magazine: http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5888
---

reneuend
Administrator

Re: Free to Full Version file conversion error

Postby mercedes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 pm

PanM wrote:Hi, Pan M here. I had the free version of AM and upgraded to the Full version, but now my old files won't convert to an executable in the Full version. Says missing a file. Anybody have this problem and if yes, what did you do to fix? Thanks Pan M

Can you post a screen shot of the error..might help better locate it..
mercedes
VIP

Thanks for info

Postby PanM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi, Renuend (hope I spelled it right) :)

Appreciate your inputs. I will try the AM took kit and see if I can get it to work with my old frames and saved project.

Pan M Have a good one!
PanM

Screen Shot of free version to full version project error

Postby PanM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi, Mercedes.

I will try to post a screen shot
Thanks for help. Pan M
Sorry, Reneuend for the spelling error. :)
Attachments
freetofullexecompileerror.PNG
AM free to full version old project conversion to .exe error.
freetofullexecompileerror.PNG (232.9 KiB) Viewed 9924 times
PanM

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:53 am

Well, I know where the error is occurring, but I don't understand why.

During the compile process, AM builds an "iss" file. This looks like something from it. Maybe you could send me and/or mercedes the project files (zipped) for us to test. Upload to a free share site like mediafire.com or filefactory.com

Hmmmm....question....did you build these projects in an older version of AM and then upgrade your full version of AM to a new version? Not even sure this would cause an issue, but just thought I'd check.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi,

This may be due to the fact that the Project Title contains some accented or unauthorized characters.

Please go to the Project Properties, change the "Project Title" to "Test" (without the quotes), and try creating the executable again.

If it still doesn't work, please post the file that has the .ISS extension. To post the file : click "create executable" and follow the on-screen instructions until you see a message box that says to click OK to start. Do NOT click OK. Instead, open the Windows file explorer and go to the directory where Adventure Maker is installed (something like "c:\program files\adventure maker"). The file should be located there (the name is "PROJECTNAME.iss" where PROJECTNAME is replaced by the name of your project). Please post the file on these forums by attaching it to a message.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Try Test to Resolve free to full file error

Postby PanM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Hello. Pan M here.

Wow, GM-Support......you did it!!! Thanks a lot. I changed the name of my project (lots of work) and it compiled OK......Am I ever happy, Ididn't want to waste all that work. It is an educational program (not a game) for kids to learn.
The original title (not test) was EDU-FUN (for educational fun), so evidently after reading your comment, it must not like the hyphen. Correct? Please advise and thank you very much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Pan M in Panama :)
PanM

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Glad it working PanM!

I have several projects that are also educational.
But, I must protest! Adventure games are educational! :lol:

Best of luck...don't forget to get Lyberodoggy's AM project tool. It's great for managing projects.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Thanks, Reneuend

Postby PanM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks, Reneuend. Really appreciate everyone's help on my new game file which is also educational....:)
Yes, I got the AM file management program yesterday from Lyberodoggy's web site. Thanks for that, as well.

Now I need to ask another favor, please. I made an icon (32x32) for my new educational program and after I made the program an .exe there was no icon displayed, only the windows DOS symbol icon. My question is ???? how do I get AM compile to .exe to show my newly generated Icon. I put it in resources.........so evidently I am doing something wrong again..this is habit forming..:)

Pan M
PanM

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

did you choose the icon from the project menu as shown?

It's an "ico" file right? It should look similar to this listing and if you don't choose an icon it should default to the default.ico file as shown.

This is also defined in the "iss" file and we may need to look at this file. If so, we can explain how to do this if need be. But, I'm also wondering if it might be a bad "ico" file. What are you using to build your ico file?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Icon for project

Postby PanM » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:43 am

Hi, R.....:)

Thanks for steering me to the location to place my icon for my project.
Please see attached photo of icon edu-fun.ico in directory.
However, when I compiled the project, it still did not show the icon even though I checked the box you showed me for edu-fun.ico.

I used a free program called jpeg to ico, and it makes it the size you want.
I made the .ico file 32x32.

Any ideas why it is not showing the icon?
Attachments
edufunicophoto.PNG
Inventory photo of installed .ico
edufunicophoto.PNG (178.91 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
PanM

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:25 am

just a guess...but take the hyphen out of the filename!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm

and please note that the icon is supposed to appear in the start menu, not on the executable file itself.
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Ah yes. Good point GM!

After you compile, the executable that's created will NOT have the icon. When you run the executable to load the game, it then creates a the game icon using the icon you chose. This will be shown in the Start Up menu.

Does that make sense?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Icon for project

Postby PanM » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi, GM-Support and Reneuend.

Thanks for inputs. :) O.k. take a look at screenshot of icon selection just after make an executable in distribution options.
I then tried to make an executable, which it made it o.k. and then when I installed (via a MS DOS icon), it installed o.k. Then, I went to the install directory, and there was still the MS DOS icon with my icon below. I clicked on my icon and it expanded into a view rile. I clicked on the MS DOS Icon and it launched my program (educational) o.k. and worked o.k.

So, to make a story longer. :) I still don't understand why it is not using my icon????? Any ideas why not using?

Thanks in advance.

Pan M
Attachments
scrnshoticonAM.PNG
Screen Shot icon AM
scrnshoticonAM.PNG (286.8 KiB) Viewed 9859 times
PanM

What I see in my directory

Postby PanM » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi, GM-Support and Reneuend.

Here is what I saw in the directory after I installed my EduFun project to it and then ran it (it ran o.k. with ms-dos style icon):

(see photo, please) I don't seem to understand how it puts the icon in the program and not during the install phase?? Please help.
Thanks,

Pan M
Attachments
installiconlocation.PNG
Install Icon location and MS-DOS icon .exe
installiconlocation.PNG (86.02 KiB) Viewed 9858 times
PanM

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Just to be clear: If I click on the MS DOS icon it would launch the game, and NOT install the game. right?

By the way, I like your custom icon! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Icon for project

Postby PanM » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi, R..........lazy today....:)

Yeap, it would launch my game/educational toy...This is after installing it on my machine. I really don't know what is going on, but my concept of what is supposed to be happening is that you make the distributable executable, and now I know it has the DOS typ icon for install, after that I assumed that it would create a desktop icon for me and others to launch the game again, or many times again if a person wants to do that.

So, where in the compile does it tell the program to prepare an icon? I guess I am doing something wrong again, but it seems to work o.k. now except for the desktop icon, which I really don't like. :(

Thanks for complement on my icon. :)

Any ideas would help. Thanks......after all, you are donating to a retired in Panama person who will be 72 years old in September and love to play with AM......:)
PanM

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Retired in Panama sounds like a good combination! :-)

The ISS file contains the line that defines the icon.

To view the ISS file, run through the steps to create an executable until the popup message shown here appears.

Now go to the AM folder and look for an ISS file. There will only be 1 of these and it will have the project name as the filename.

Code: Select all
[Icons]
Name: "{group}\Texas Shoot Em"; Filename: "{app}\Texas Shoot Em.exe"; IconFilename: "{app}\texas ranger badge icon2.ico"; WorkingDir: "{app}"

Open the file in an editor and look near the bottom. You will see the line shown here. Does it look similar to this?

If you don't see the line or it looks wrong, change it then save the file and then click OK to let AM compile the executable.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Icon for project

Postby PanM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 am

[b]Hi, R.......Yeap, Panama's nice, but always HOT and HUMID, not like my favorite of Calif. :)

Here is the file line, and by the way, thanks for sending me this info :)

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\ EduFun"; Filename: "{app}\ EduFun.exe"; IconFilename: "{app}\EduFun.ico"; WorkingDir: "{app}"

[Run]

It appears to be o.k. in comparison to your screenshot.

I just re-installed it and now it works but no "desktop" icon (installed to desktop). I went seaching, and I now remember something that GM-Support said a few messages back.......:) "and please note that the icon is supposed to appear in the start menu, not on the executable file itself."

Excuse me, Reneuend, but all this time I wanted the icon on the executable, and then I remembered what GM-Support wrote above.
The icon is in the start menu, this case is CASO CERRADO........excuse me for lots of trouble. :) But. why can't it be an icon for the .exe ??? :) Continue my curiosity.

Thanks
Pan M
[/b]
Attachments
iconstartmenuphoto.PNG
Icon start menu photo
iconstartmenuphoto.PNG (90.61 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
PanM

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 am

Yep. I was trying to say the same thing GM said about the file that gets your icon is the one that launches the game and not the one that loads it. Oh well, the main thing is that we got past this! 8)

Well, if you think about it, the icon would have to be separate from executable and the executable would have to access the icon and its location in order to display it. You could probably manually do it, but then users would have to load the icon file and the executable. It's really not worth it in my opinion.

Glad everything is working now.

Do you plan on sharing your creation with the AM community?
---

reneuend
Administrator

EDU-FUN Project

Postby PanM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:06 am

Hi, R. Yeap, finally got past the few errors. Thanks to you and GM :)

Yes, I plan to upload file and share with community but don't know exactly where and how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Pan M
PanM

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:07 am

you can upload to free places like mediafire.com.

If its really big you can use factoryfile.com, but its messy to download from there.

once you upload the file, then it will give you a URL that you can share. People use the URL to download the file.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Upload file

Postby PanM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi, R.

Thanks for info. I know about Mediafire and have an account there, but I didn't know about factoryfile.......so, I guess I will sometime today upload EDU-FUN to Mediafire and then go tell new game community and you. :)

One other item. I only mentioned about the icon being in the Start Menu of Windows because most games I have typically have a desktop icon associated with the game, so it is easy to launch. I guess I can make a link to the start menu, but most games come with the icon installed to desktop or wherever you want the game to go. Whatever. :)

Also, I thought maybe that AM had a special place to upload new games, or development games for others to view like Game Maker but evidently not.

Thanks again for your help/comments.

Have a good day.

Pan M
PanM

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 pm

If you ask "Mystery" to upload your game to the AM game list it will show up at Adventure Maker's official site. But, you'll need to provide a link for others to download from. There isn't a place to upload your games on AM. Interesting thought, but it would require someone to administer it.

I don't know how long games last on mediafire before they are pulled. Sometimes it's based on the length of time when someone downloads the file....if it goes beyond a certain number of days, they pull it from the server. I think FileFactory avoids all this from what I read...but the download has a bunch of Ads that might be confusing for many people.
Last edited by reneuend on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Upload file

Postby PanM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi, R.

I guess I will just try to upload to Mediafire and then provide a link.
Mediafire sends me an e-mail from time to time and only says that I have not uploaded anything to the site for some time and therefore I have two days to upload something (activity) or my existing files will be deleted. (I think I have that problem now);). I will check it out, and maybe have to sign up again, so give me some time....OK?

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions.

Pan M Have a good day. :)
PanM

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:58 pm

There is a way to add a desktop icon to XP OS...I don't think it works on Win7. You edit the ISS file as I showed above. but you add a copy the line that places the icon and paste a new line, then edit it to use "userdesktop". Here are some notes I wrote up on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
TUTORIAL TO MODIFY THE INSTALLER SO THAT IT CREATES A DESKTOP ICON
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. When you are ready to compile your project, click "Distribute (create exe)" and then click "Start Distribution".

2. Click OK until you get the following message: "Adventure Maker is now ready to create a setup file for your project. The process may take a few minutes."

3. For the moment, do NOT click OK. With Notepad, edit the file "PROJECTNAME.ISS" that is located inside the Adventure Maker folder (i.e. the folder in which you have installed Adventure Maker).

4. You will notice that at the very end of the file there is an "Icons" section that contains the following code:

Code:
[Icons]
Name: "{group}\PROJECT_TITLE"; Filename: "{app}\PROJECT_TITLE.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"

(where PROJECT_TITLE depends on what you have entered in the Project Properties).

Duplicate the line that starts with "Name:" and change the word "group" into "userdesktop", so that at the end the code looks like that:

Code:
Code: Select all
[Icons]
Name: "{group}\PROJECT_TITLE"; Filename: "{app}\PROJECT_TITLE.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"
Name: "{userdesktop}\PROJECT_TITLE"; Filename: "{app}\PROJECT_TITLE.exe"; WorkingDir: "{app}"

(the only difference between the first line and the second one is that the word "group" has been replaced with "userdesktop")

5. Now save and close the file. Go back to Adventure Maker and click OK to resume the creation of the setup file.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Desktop Icon For AM Project

Postby PanM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Thank you very much. R.... Really appreciate it very much.

R, here is the mediafire link to download my EDU-FUN project. Please let me know what you think about it, and also should I paste link to other forums, or to what forum?

Thanks and have a warm day in the Corn Belt....:) Hot here always.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lrk7mcw45g2sx EDU-FUN (education fun folder)
EDU-FUN.exe

Pan M
PanM

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Put an announcement in the New Games forum. Here is an example. Notice my title has the name of the game and what platform the game runs on. In this case, Windows.
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5467

Be sure to add the link for downloading your game.
Send a PM to Mystery to add your game to the AM Games List. Be sure there is an image so it can be posted on the game list. Here is where the game list is located: http://www.adventuremaker.com/free_games_for_windows_downloads.php

looking forward to reviewing it!
(edit) I'll send you my critique via PM
---

reneuend
Administrator

Next

Return to General Chat