The Key Tutorial, how to expand it a little.

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

The Key Tutorial, how to expand it a little.

Postby Integrater » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello, I have just followed the KEY tutorial to create a demo where I can pick up a key and add it to my inventory. I then read in the useful techniques section about how to use a key to open a door.

The problem is those two tutorials are completely separate. My question is how do I expand the demo I made (the KEY tutorial) to make use of the open and close door images so I can add the functionality of using the key on the door to open it.

Thanks
Integrater

Postby Vengeance66 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:55 pm

You can make this possible by using variables.

Make two hotspots of the door. One closed image, one opened image. You need to make one integer variable (ex. door). Then made the first one to be shown if the var. door is 0 and the opened if it's 1.

Open the first hotspot (closed). Put the var. door in the second thing: Show this hotspot only if... put the var. door in the 0. So, if it's 0 it will be shown, and if it's 1 it will be hidden. Open the second hotspot (opened) and in the Variables tab in the second section down, put the var. door in the second row, where it's 1. So, this will be shown if it's 1.

Then, drag and drop the item in the editor to the first hotspot (closed) and go into Variables tab. Put the var. door to be changed to 1. So, when you use the key to the closed door hotspot it will change to 1 and the door will be opened. Made the same with the other hotspot - drag and drop the key to the second hotspot and put to change the variable to 0... :)

Edit: I just say that you need just to open the door and I explained the whole process of opening and closing. It's the same, just in half :)

Tell if you have some problems and sorry if I didn't explain well...
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Integrater » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Vengeance66 wrote:You can make this possible by using variables.

Make two hotspots of the door. One closed image, one opened image. You need to make one integer variable (ex. door). Then made the first one to be shown if the var. door is 0 and the opened if it's 1.

Open the first hotspot (closed). Put the var. door in the second thing: Show this hotspot only if... put the var. door in the 0. So, if it's 0 it will be shown, and if it's 1 it will be hidden. Open the second hotspot (opened) and in the Variables tab in the second section down, put the var. door in the second row, where it's 1. So, this will be shown if it's 1.

Then, drag and drop the item in the editor to the first hotspot (closed) and go into Variables tab. Put the var. door to be changed to 1. So, when you use the key to the closed door hotspot it will change to 1 and the door will be opened. Made the same with the other hotspot - drag and drop the key to the second hotspot and put to change the variable to 0... :)

Edit: I just say that you need just to open the door and I explained the whole process of opening and closing. It's the same, just in half :)

Thank you, I understood perfectly and I have done it! Yay! I'm off to practice more :)
Integrater

Postby Vengeance66 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Integrater wrote:
Vengeance66 wrote:You can make this possible by using variables.

Thank you, I understood perfectly and I have done it! Yay! I'm off to practice more :)

Great! Don't hesitate to ask what you need! You are more than welcomed here on the forums ;)

We are waiting for a game! ;)
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion