HostExe for Adventure Maker

This forum is meant for announcing new plugins, downloading other people's plugins, posting questions, etc.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

HostExe for Adventure Maker

Postby time-killer-games » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 am

HostExe (Embed Program) Plugin v3 by Samuel Venable

This plugin allows you to embed third-party executables, (*.exe files), in your Adventure Maker project frames.
Not all executables are guaranteed to be compatible with this plugin, so please keep that in mind at all times.
If the correct window is being embedded, the titlebar text and window class fields can be ignored / left blank.
If the wrong window of the executable is embedded, you can specify the titlebar text and / or window class.
If you specify the titlebar text and / or window class, whichever window matches that info will be embedded.

100% free, open source, and public domain.
*.ocx made with Visual Studio 2017 Community.
Source code was written in C++ (MFC).

DOWNLOADS

IMPORTANT NOTE

This plugin under-the-hood relies on looping timed events for every frame, so whenever you remove timed events with code, you shouldn't assume the timed events you created are the only ones floating around.

In other words, instead of doing this:
Code: Select all
CreateTimedEvent ...

And this:
RemoveTimedEvent 1

You should store the timed events you create in a variable, like so:
TimedEventVar = CreateTimedEvent ...

And then remove it like this:
RemoveTimedEvent TimedEventVar

You can replace "TimedEventVar" with whatever variable name suits your needs.

If you aren't dynamically removing timed events with code in your project, then you won't need to worry about this, and you can then use the plugin without compensation. I'm going to be working on a new version soon that will hopefully no longer rely on Adventure Maker's timed event system, but until then, keep this stuff in mind.

Cheers!
Samuel
Last edited by time-killer-games on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 27 times in total.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby CBSection31 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Great idea, TKG! This should certainly help lots of people who want to integrate third-party content with their games. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:00 am

I'll try it out when you get it finalized! :wink:

Great idea, TKG. There have been people asking about circumventing the current menu items!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm

HostExe is drawing near to its First Stable Release.

In 2.2 you will find plenty of more features. All available with a compiled AM plugin file that allows you to do all the same and more without writing a single line of code. Easy and Comprehensive to beginners garenteed.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: HostExe Version List

Postby time-killer-games » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:24 pm

In about an hour and a half I will release the newest version. It will include the ability to create cylindrical, cubic, and spherical panoramic frames. I'm really excited, it's almost done (about time!) Sorry for procrastinating.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm looking forward to trying this out. Thanks TKG.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks Reneuend. But there's only one thing left for me to fix before I ready to share it. For some odd reason, when I run the example project in full screen while enabling my plugin the taskbar is forced to be visible, which partially defeats the purpose and effectiveness of running in full screen. I'll be sure to share the plugin once I've fixed this issue.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: HostExe for Adventure Maker

Postby time-killer-games » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 am

Just published v3!

New features:

• Now comes with a compiled plugin file, so this isn't just an *.ocx file by itself like older versions.
  • NO scripting required! (other than whatever may be needed to create your third-party *.exe files, which depends on whatever software you used to make them, in order to determine whether that may or may not need scripting either!)
  • if you for whatever reason need to check whether an executable is currently embedded in real-time, you can now do so by using the built-in integer-based variable--"HostingCheckEmbed"--which either equals 1 if there is an *.exe embedded or 0 if there isn't one.
  • You can now embed an *.exe or close an existing one from either a frame load OR hotspot click.
  • You can now set the left/top coordinates and width/height sizes (in pixels) of where to embed the *.exe.
  • You can also specify the titlebar text and/or window class of the window you would like to embed, if the plugin isn't embedding the window you want to be embedded by default, (if the correct one is being embedded by default, you can leave the titlebar text and window class text fields blank in Frame/Hotspot Properties).

Fixed bugs:

• After about 4 years, I have finally killed the bug where the taskbar would show in fullscreen for MOST executables you try to embed. Unfortunately, there are still some that seem to force the taskbar visible in fullscreen, but depending on what software you use to make your third-party executable, you most likely shouldn't have to worry about this, because again most executable don't experience this issue, (in my testing, at least)...
  • With some executables, I noticed if you tried to close your Adventure Maker game, while an embedded executable was still running, it would stay running invisibly in the background, with no other way of closing it other than using Windows Task Manager. This is now fixed. If you close your Adventure Maker game, any executable that may be embedded will automatically close along with your Adventure Maker game.

New demo project:

• The demo project is a complete example of a situation in which an Adventure Maker user may need to embed third-party games or software.
  • The demo project has a third-party mini-game *.exe, (called "Key to Success"), that uses the keyboard to control a character around to collect keys and avoid enemies until you have all the keys and can leave through the door to the next level. The game is open source, and was made with the ENIGMA development environment, see http://www.enigma-dev.org for more info on the ENIGMA development environment.
  • In order to play the "Key to Success" mini-game, in the Adventure Maker game, you must navigate to the arcade cabinet, and insert a coin into it, from your inventory, then you can play "Key to Success". As you will be able to see, the mini-game will embed in Adventure Maker's main game window, whether fullscreen or otherwise.
  • If you beat all 8 levels in "Key to Success", a password will be revealed, which once you navigate away from the arcade cabinet, it will allow you to open a locked door by entering that password into a security system, and then finally you beat the HostExe for Adventure Maker example/demo!

Extras:

• If you want to play "Key to Success" outside of the Adventure Maker example game, it is in the External folder of the game's install directory and AM project.
  • If you want the source code to "Key to Success", it is also available in the External folder of the game's install directory and AM project, (called "Key to Success.gm81").
  • If you want the Bryce 7 source files, which I used to make the rendered frames and videos, that is ALSO in the External folder of the game's install directory and AM project, (*.br7 files, each named after the frame/video they render).
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 am

Just published v3.1!

This is just a quick bugfix version, no added features.

Fixed bugs:

• Fixed a problem where the game window would overlap the taskbar when NOT in fullscreen.
  • Fixed a bug where the plugin would prevent the save and load game windows from appearing when you click save or load from the menu. (Note: whenever an executable is currently embedded, you can NOT use the save or load game menu items, I have them disabled in that one condition, because I don't want the user to think they can save the progress of whatever is going on in the embedded executable with those menu items - that will have to be handled by the embedded executable on its own).

That's all for now! :mrgreen:
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Just published v3.1.1!

This is just a quick bugfix version, no added features.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to The Plugins Corner