Tilt shift

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Tilt shift

Postby Simon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:43 am

I like this technique that transforms a real photo into a model look-alike : tilt shift. You know it ?

Here are some examples :
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=752&q=tilt+shift&oq=tilt+shift&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1698.3159.0.3268.10.7.0.3.3.0.142.808.1j6.7.0....0...1ac.1.28.img..1.9.688.10NkDZeuX_0

They just take a global shoot, with a lot of details, and then add blur and saturation. Some of these pics are amazing and work really well !!

Remember when you were playing with trucks in your sandbox, a lonnnng time ago ?

I was wondering : anyone ever thought of using this technique for an AM game ? It's quite easy to create and the result can be awesome !! :shock:
Simon
Expert Member

Re: Tilt shift

Postby reneuend » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm not sure what is meant by tilt-shift....is it a 3d term? Using animation studio, I sometimes will set the depth of field, so the foreground and background are blurred. This gets the player to focus on the main subject. This is good for animation, but for stationary images when the player needs to search; obviously, they need to see everything.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:22 pm

No, Tilt Shift has nothing to do with 3D, it's made with photos. I don't know, maybe there's another translation ? I thought it was a buzzword nowadays.
They take photos of huge scenes and add blur+saturation to make it look like miniatures, figures and toys. And most of the time, I think it works.
Look at the picture before, they look like scale model trucks, don't they ? but they're real big ones, taken by plane probably.

Maybe the first trucks example wasn't the best. What do you think of these ones ?
Don't you have the sensation that they're scale models while they are real ?

This is nothing difficult to do, and I find it fun... That's all :)
And I think it could be used to create an AM game, despite the blur. Someone who likes taking photos can create a game like this. The fact that the photos become disturbing is an interesting starting point for an AM project.

It works with videos too !
http://vimeo.com/39470129
Simon
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I never heard of this before. It's quite amazing. I thought they were just models. LOL!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to General Chat