Welcome to KeyGuard Studio Professional for AdventureMaker

Support and discussions about KeyGuard Studio Professional for AdventureMaker.

Moderators: Vengeance66, GM-Support, reneuend, Candle, ShadowHunter

Welcome to KeyGuard Studio Professional for AdventureMaker

Postby ShadowHunter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:57 am

Dear forum members,

After a development period of 2.5 years I?m glad to finally announce the release of KeyGuard Studio Professional and the accompanying plug-in KeyGuard 5.

1. History of KeyGuard

KeyGuard started as a small plug-in in 2005 allowing the use of certain keystrokes in AdventureMaker, in later releases right and double mouse clicks were added. It was however not until hotspot hovering added was added that it became a popular tool allowing the creation of commercial a-like adventure games.

The last update of KeyGuard dates from 2009 and offered designers the power of animated bitmap cursors and mouse scroll wheel support.

All these versions of KeyGuard relied very heavily on scripting, something that drove less experienced designers away?

2. What is added to KeyGuard 5?

KeyGuard 5 marks the dawn of a new era for AdventureMaker as it has grown to a tool capable of making commercial type games of all sorts without even a line of scripting. But no worries, the expert users can rely on an extended scripting set which unleashes the power of KeyGuard to its fullest.

One of the main new features of KeyGuard 5 is polygon hotspot support, meaning you can draw any shape of hotspot you like, finally you are no longer tied to the rectangular hotspots of AdventureMaker. You can use KeyGuard Studio Professional to draw polygonal hotspots.

KeyGuard promises it can be used without scripting, to accomplish this a technique to which I refer as SmartLinking is introduced. SmartLinking makes sure that the polygonal hotspots behave (cloned) like the hotspots in AdventureMaker. This means that you can set all the properties in AdventureMaker like sounds, going to another frame, scripting or adding an inventory item? next you draw a polygon hotspot in KeyGuard Studio Professional and link the polygon to the AdventureMaker hotspot. If you now click or hover that polygon, the actions defined in the AdventureMaker hotspot are executed, no coding needed at all.

Of course this is not a tutorial but a release announcement? let me continue by listing all major new features of KeyGuard 5:

1. Polygonal hotspots with Z-order: draw hotspots of any shape and stack them as you please
2. Hint icons: shows an icon on each polygon, kind of help for the player
3. Hover texts: show texts when moving over hotspots
4. Inventory items texts: show texts when dragging an item over a polygon, each item can have its on text per polygon
5. Support for all keystrokes including multimedia keys
6. Mouse scroll wheel direction detection: previous KeyGuard could only detected a scroll, now it detects up/down and how much the wheel travelled
7. Saving/loading hook: every polygon property is saved/loaded when the player saves/loads game even runtime scripted changes
8. Disabling of the ESC-key: if you want to prevent unwanted AdventureMaker menus when using an alternative game menu
9. Support for all keystrokes including multimedia keys
10. No coding required: due to SmartLinking you can work with KeyGuard 5 without writing a single line of code
11. Left,right and double click on inventory items
12. Compressed data files: all files generated by KeyGuard Studio Professional are compressed and cannot be read via a text editor
13. Hundreds of scripting methods, properties and triggers
14. Backwards compatible with older version of KeyGuard: All features of previous versions are available and KeyGuard 5 can replace all previous versions

KeyGuard Studio Professional offers you the graphical user interface to use all of the above features and offers plenty of design help tools, just to name a few:

1. Convert AdventureMaker hotspots to polygons
2. Create polygon hotspot grids (including grids made up of polygon shapes)
3. Copy, rotate, flip, edit polygon hotspots, split vertices, input vertex coordinates by hand, change color
4. Save design frames as JPG or BMP
5. Saving polygons to multiple frames
6. Magnifier, set background transparency for easy drawing
7. SmartLink Wizard
8. Polygon finder, ID swapper
9. Run a simulation
10. Managers for: hint cursors, keystrokes, polygon cursors, texts, polygon hotspot status
11. Detailed compiled help file
12. Automatic check for updates
13. Templates
14. Many built in check functions to avoid discrepancies between AdventureMaker and KeyGuard (like missing hotspots or inventory items)

3. What does KeyGuard Studio Professional and KeyGuard 5 cost?

Nothing, it is completely free to use and distribute. The only thing I ask in return is a free copy of your game and being mentioned, with a link to my website, in the credits.

4. Download your copy here

Well, that is it, I hope you will enjoy KeyGuard as much as I enjoyed making it and don?t hesitate to contact me in case you have any questions.

Download KeyGuard Studio Professional (6.09Mb)
With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
Last edited by ShadowHunter on Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Vengeance66 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 am

Hey! Great news!

I just downloaded and installed KG5! I'm so honored to have this tool, because I have beta tested it and now I'm so happy that I saw my name in the about section... thank you Shadow Hunter. I don't have words...

It's a great tool! I'm surely using it with my new game, so everyone will see it's great use...

Thanks SH!
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Great work!!! I will definitely use it in my next game.
Very much appreciated!

Postby mercedes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Poly hotspots!.....Excellent...

This will come in handy for IHOG games..which are really the thing now..:D

Thanks Shadow for making AM so much more interactive..It can never get boring..when there are such great plugins :)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Morsy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Yay!!! :D Thank you so much!
One question though..
Does the player of the game need to have the plugin installed on their computer also? (I use free version of AM and you need to have the plugins that my game uses to play)
Morsy

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 am

One question though..
Does the player of the game need to have the plugin installed on their computer also? (I use free version of AM and you need to have the plugins that my game uses to play)

Yes..

You have to have the Full version to use any plugins..They get installed with the game..The user isn't aware of this..It's part of the package :)

Postby Morsy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:
One question though..

Yes..

You have to have the Full version to use any plugins..They get installed with the game..The user isn't aware of this..It's part of the package :)

You can evaluate and use plugins :|
Morsy

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm

look i almost gave up on using AM. But looks like this just got me back to being obsessed with it ! :) awsome tool i really look forward to using it in my latest project :D
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

I have no words...
I have to try it, this is a giant step for this software and its continuity.
Vairon
Expert Member

Postby ShadowHunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 am

Hello all,

Thank you so much for the nice comments. I'm really happy to learn that KeyGuard 5 is so well received :D

I hope you will have a jolly good time creating projects with it. I'm here to help you started, so if you have any questions please create a new topic.

Should you encounter bugs please let me know updates will be provided fast via the live updater :roll:

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Gumbro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Very nice. Once again I'm tempted to get the full version.
Gumbro

Postby reneuend » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 pm

I hope everyone tries out KG5. I would suggest doing something small with it and sharing what you come up with. We can all learn how to use KG5 more quickly this way.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon May 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Great news :)
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby ZeornWarlock » Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 am

Just saw this? WOW this is fantastic work ShAdOwHuNtEr! This is great news for all AM users! :D

One question thought, does it work with all versions of AM?

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Re: Welcome to KeyGuard Studio Professional for AdventureMak

Postby indy2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 pm

I can only say you 1000 thanks for this excellent plug and because it's free.

thanks , thanks . I think that AM can live another two-four years with this injection of vitality

indy2
indy2

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Would be cool if Keyguard, or some of its functions, could be added in AM in native... A possible partnership between GM and Shadow ?
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:17 pm

KG is such a great plugin! It's not that hard to work with. I'm implementing it to my new project. ;)
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby skype6 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Really great plugin! Just trying it out. Opens up many new possibilities :)
skype6
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:18 am

I'd like to print out the entire manual, but I don't see a way to do this. Anyone?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Candle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 am

Solution:

Open CHM and select the header in table of contents.
Right-click and Print. Select Print the selected heading and all subtopics.
While this prompt is still shown, go to your TEMP folder (usualy c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp ), and find the latest file of the pattern "~hh*.htm". This is a concatenation of all the HTML files in the heading you wanted to print.
Copy this file elsewhere before cancelling (or continuing) the print job, as the file will then be deleted. In our case, copy it in your VSdocman output folder. It's because VSdocman output folder contains all the CSS and scripts to display the help correctly.
Open the file from there with Internet Explorer (not Firefox or other browser). You should see all topics displayed correctly. Now you can print the file. You can customize the headings and footers in IE File - Page setup

http://www.helixoft.com/vsdocman-faqs/p ... ation.html
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:37 am

Awesome! Thanks Candle!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to KeyGuard Studio Professional