AM Code Development Environment - Alpha- Need Testers

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

AM Code Development Environment - Alpha- Need Testers

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 am

I have been working hard to write a nice code editor with all the bells and whistles for coding for Adventure Maker. I have been a programmer since 1998 and have been using AM for a long time. Adventure Maker is one of my favorite applications out there and even though it did not do what I needed it to do when I bought it GM was Awesome... Here is my opportunity to give back. I wrote the editor mainly for myself but want to give it away for free to all AM users when it's fully ready. With that said here are the features and if I can figure out how to upload some screenies those also. I wanted it very simple but very powerful

Main Features

Line Numbers
Code Folding
Code Completion
Column Mode
Export code to RTF and HTML
Set your project folder for enhanced features
Line Navigation
Bookmarks
TopMost Window
CopyAll - copies all the text in the editor
Full AM Language Code Helpers and wizards
Object Property Wizard for the common objects Output=LineObject(Index).Property=Value
Insert Pixel Code ie: 200*15
Right click save selection as snippet
Full snippets editor
Set description for am variable
Get description for am variable on select and right click >> Get Variable Description
Database for all Variable Descriptions, keywords,and code completion list. Allows updates
Scratch pad autosaves
Program auto saves project location and other stuff
Framename wizards allows you to see the thumbnail of your frame for easy choosing
Project variables wizard loads am variable names for easy reference
TimedEvent wizard makes it easy to set up timed events with little typing
GetPath wizard takes all the work out of it by allowing you to pick you file and adds the index number.
GotoFrame wizard uses Framename wizard to allow you to choose the frame by its thumbnail and choose your transition without remembering those numbers.
LoadPicture and LoadGraphic wizard both allow you to choose your file
All code helpers (95% of the am Language) are included and some will be extended in the future.
Useful VB Constants dropdown
Common Code DropDowns
Both am-Help and MS VBScript chm included run from the help menu

The Screenshots are in the attachments

I am running Windows 7 pro 64Bit and the application was coded in VS2012 in VB.net. I have been running the first release build for about 6 days with not a hitch.

I would have uploaded more photos but the all I could get to upload was 5 but I think you get the idea...

Let me know if you want to test it out.
Attachments
Sc023.jpg
Sc023.jpg (177.5 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Sc005.jpg
Sc005.jpg (170.25 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Sc003.jpg
Sc003.jpg (159.26 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Sc002.jpg
Sc002.jpg (158.74 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Sc001.jpg
Sc001.jpg (143.21 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
stuffs getting better, stuffs getting better everyday.
tribalxdude

Re: AM Code Development Environment - Alpha- Need Testers

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am

Here are some more screens
Attachments
Sc026.jpg
Sc026.jpg (133.68 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Sc014.jpg
Sc014.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Sc009.jpg
Sc009.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Sc012.jpg
Sc012.jpg (205.88 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Sc021.jpg
Sc021.jpg (150.89 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
tribalxdude

Postby Stitches » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am

Wow! I'm a complete noob to programming. Thanks to the guys here I've picked up enough to make an interesting game. I'm still trying to work through the more advanced sections of scripting here. This program looks amazing. It could seriously help folk like myself may occasionally make the odd bimble when coding. Crackin' work! Though I think GM or one of the admins should be the first to test it out or you. :) Being professional coders themselves they'd be better guinea pigs :v Also it is your gifty :D Though when they have seen it, put me down for a run with it. It might help me gauge better understanding of scripts. Very nice!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaynardStaly/videos and http://libertycap.webs.com
“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know.”
Stitches

Postby Vengeance66 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Looks really promising! I'm not that good at programming too, reneuend helped me a lot with all my projects' codes. :)

This one looks really interesting... :-)
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Thank you, It was coded in vs2012 under the .Net Framework 4.5. I developed it under the idea that it would be more like Notepad with a few extras so it is very small and only does what it needs to do. I like to make coding as easy as possible with routines that do nothing more than do what they need do with as few lines of code. The idea was to write wrappers around the language so I did not have to always open AM Help looking for things like what index went to what folder in GetPath(). I just want to choose the folder. GM did the work on the thumbnails as they are stored in the thumbnails folder and the variables I just loaded the file readonly into a string and stripped the formatting chrs(). I could have split them into variant and integer "***" but that may come later. The Procedure file is encrypted or a base64 string so you cannot work on it directly and the hotspot code would have to be parsed out so AmCoder is a companion editor. that is why I put in the CopyAll so it can be pasted back into AM.

As far as testing. I have to find a place to upload but anyone can test it. But in one respect you are right in the fact GM or an admin should look over the code completion (Taken from AM Help) to make sure all the actions are correct and the code wizards are producing the correct code but these are all editable including keywords and code completion. I just need to upload it so you guys can download it and try it out.
Attachments
Sc017.jpg
You can up date code completion easily
Sc017.jpg (282.74 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
tribalxdude

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:55 pm

here it is http://www.fileswap.com/dl/vGYgbJwhjq/AmCoder.zip.html

AmCoder- tested on 2 Win7 Computers . Make sure .Net Framework is updated to 4.5

If you get a msgbox("Settings not found") click OK a new one will be created

If you have a data error try- Replace AMList.XML with the renamed AMListBak.xml (Take out the BAK)

Known Issues :
1. Data Constraint Exception - MS Message box can show if a user tries to add a duplicate record (keyword, Variable, or code completion). Have not coded try catch finally. It's only a msgbox click OK.
2. Code Completion Dropboxes - You have to click from the list for code completion auto search the dropdown will be implemented in the future.
3. Dropdown box - not really an issue but 'esc' removes the dropdown if it persists. AmCoder uses FastColoredTextBox (GDI Drawn not based on inherited control) as it's syntax highlighted control.
4.- issues you discover

-If an error occurs let me know what you where doing when the error happened.
-Is the application user friendly and if not what was the issue?
-Is AmCoder Wizard's Producing correct and runable code for AM
-Is Code Completion Correct? Most of the code I copy and Pasted from the AM Help Docs and Forum.
-What would be cool to add and be helpful to you in the future? (as long as it does not directly interfere with AM files (other than read-only). I do not want to edit AM or AM files as AMCoder is a tool for helping to make it easier to code in AM.

Happy Coding and let me know?
tribalxdude

Postby reneuend » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:12 am

I've been under the weather this week and just saw this thread! Very nice, TribalX!
I'll start using it this weekend.

Thanks so much for the contribution!!!!! :)

Update: I'm really liking this tool. :D
I really wish this was incorporated in Adventure Maker.
I've already added a lot of my own code patterns and routines to the snippets folder. I'll continue to use it and let you know if I find anything.

NOTE: :idea: It would be nice if the editor would auto_indent, or under the Tools menu option, have a cleanup feature to indent everything properly.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion