Myha

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Myha

Postby Simon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:58 am

Hi everyone!

So I'm going to work in my free time on project MYHA. It's for the Myst Jam of January:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6827

I have already decided to create this game even if I am alone to do it, but finally it would seem that I can team up with reneuend (?) and vengeance66, so it's exciting!
Here's how we could split the tasks, if you agree:

Simon:
- story/main ideas (it's going to be a Black Cube project - http://www.theblackcube.fr)
- graphics
- opening movie
- ending movie
- main texts (short diary)

Vengeance:
- ideas
- in-game music and sound effects
- diary voice
- additional graphics (icons, cursors, inventory items...)

Reneuend:
- ideas (including puzzles)
- puzzle programming
- game programming
- english proofing
- build final project

Are you interested, guys? Do you agree to work like this? (more or less)

From now on, I will consider that this rule is true:
"Don't submit existing games unless you finished them for the jam"
It seems to allow us to work on the project in December, and finish it in January. Which I plan to take advantage of!

Here's a description of the short project I made:

Pitch:
March 2012. Hero: we play as a cosmonaut of the CSE from planet Terra, continent of Tongolia (kind of sovietic world). Our rocket leaves Terra for the moon. Our mission: discover the source of a distress signal emitted continuously since 2011. It's the distress beacon of a Lutetian astronaut named Philippe Forté who mysteriously disapeared the year before. However, instead of his beacon, our cosmonaut finds a strange black Cube that will teleport us on an island in an all new world: Myha...

Game:
We start on the island of Myha. We can read a diary that explains the latest events. However we don't have the Cube anymore, and we'll have to explore the island to understand what's happening around. Fortunately, our rocket was teleported too, and we can find some equipment inside.

Purpose:
Find the Cube, bring it somewhere (where?) to finish the game.

What to do next:
Currently, the island of Myha is empty, and we need to find what will happen on it! We have a starting point and an end (the place we were teleported to --> the cube to bring somewhere).
Between these 2 points, we need to find a series of puzzles/actions to do. It will help me create the designs for the island: do we need buildings, levers, forests? etc... and for what purpose.
So I need to know as soon as possible which puzzles and actions we want to create.

First stage:
Give ideas of puzzles that you want to see in this game.
We should try together to sort out these puzzles, and define a path made of several actions, with a beginning and an end.
It's a Myst-like world, with mysteries hidden in the fog, a place with no living souls, hidden switches here and there, electric devices, lifts, caves, etc...
Please choose things that are not too difficult to program (don't forget that it's a small project to produce in a very short time!).

In the meantime, I will work on the opening short film. It should be finished by Sunday evening if I am not too busy with Catyph.
Let's go guys!! :)

PS: here's a plan of the Myst island. Could be helpful? We already have a similar island for Myha, and our rocket in a similar place. I will post WIP (work in progress) of our Myha island in 3D as soon as I can.
http://www.socwall.com/images/wallpaper ... 40x885.jpg
Simon
Expert Member

Re: Myha

Postby Vengeance66 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Sounds amazing Simon! :D

I am already glad that I'm in! I'll think about some events and ideas to put between the starting and ending point.

I'll do my best to do this right and this is a huge step and opportunity for me.

We'll be in touch.
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Vengeance66 wrote:I am already glad that I'm in!

reneuend wrote:I'm in.
I'm ready to get started!

Great :D So you're both in! I'm even more glad!

reneuend wrote:Simon. It would only be natural for you to lead this project.

Ok, I'll do my best. Please read the above and let me know if it's a good starting point. Then I will continue to try to drive the project. I propose that we use this forum as an online diary where we can share our progress and share ideas.

reneuend wrote:I guess since we will be working independently, we'll need to pull an updated project file from time to time to merge with our own changes.

I agree, but I don't know how to merge projects. I think it would be better than I don't work with AM. I should focus mainly on the graphics and on leading the project. That is already a very lot of work.
Is it possible for you Bob and Deki to merge your files from time to time, and do you both agree to work like that?

Regarding the work in AM, I was thinking to send you a part of my work on ASA. So you could use it as a starting point, with working menus, inventory, and many things ready. Is it a good idea?

I've made some research this afternoon and started working on the opening film. A few WIP for you. Hope you like it:

Simon
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:27 pm

I have some ideas. I will PM you as I don't want to give away too much on this thread. However, this thread could prove useful to other members that might want to try building games with others (esp. working remotely).
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I propose that we discuss the next ideas here, it's easier than PM (let's keep PM for private infos).

1/
I have shared with you by PM the story in the diary. Please read it carefully when you have the time: it will be the central part of the project.
Bob, could you proofread my English? It would allow Deki to have a clean text in order to record the voice.

2/
Deki has proposed an idea of puzzle with symbols and numbers, and it is interesting to include it in the game. Any ideas with it?

3/
Bob suggested a puzzle where we use ascii -hex language for the translation of "Terra", in order to open the door of the mountain cave.

4/
About the panorama picture: any ideas why it doesn't work for me? I didn't receive any error message. I'm just stuck in the view, without possibility to rotate the camera in AM.
I can easily imagine that the quality of the picture is downgraded so I would like to check the result and see if it is worth it. Maybe the cylindrical panorama is better?
ALso I could render the picture in a higher resolution. Here it is 2500x1300 (something like that). So each "face" of the cube in the panorama is around 510x510, which is very small in fact.
I could create panoramic pictures in 4000x4000 like in ASA.

5/
If you need to upload/share pictures quickly, you can use this site, it's free:
http://www.noelshack.com/

6/
I have prepared a map of the island. It's probably a bit complicated, but it could help:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... nd-map.jpg

From the START, you can move around everywhere with green arrows. It should give access to puzzles to open the rocket.
In the rocket, we should find tools in order to open a building (it is not visible on the map, but it's near diary 3)
The building contains useful things to open the cave under the mountain.
In the cave we find how to go to the stasis pod.

That's for the main path. Does it make sense and is it clear enough for you?
If yes, we need to find the puzzles situated at each orange cross.

You can modify the map as much as you want.

Simon
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Sure looks good.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks Candle :wink:

4/
About the panorama picture: any ideas why it doesn't work for me?

Finally the panorama plugin works. However it asks a KEY, and the URL to retrieve it is dead... I will probably use the cylindrical plugin then.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:55 pm

I've proofed the diary and cleaned it up a little. Good Job, Simon!

http://www.hickchickgames.com/Myst/diary.docx

Here you go V66! Let me know if there are any issues with it.

Map looks good. I copied it to my computer for ease of access.
Also, I created a shortcut on my computer desktop to this forum Thread.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Perfect! Many thanks Bob ^^ That was fast!

Deki, it's your turn now! 8) When it is possible for you, can you make a voice acting from the diary?
The macedonian accent will be great (the hero is from Tongolia - a fantasy equivalent of Eastern Europe or Russia). The recording quality doesn't have to be perfect: I will probably apply a kind of "radio" filter on the voice.
Good luck (and no emergency, we have until January)

Simon wrote:
4/
About the panorama picture: any ideas why it doesn't work for me?

Finally the panorama plugin works. However it asks a KEY, and the URL to retrieve it is dead... I will probably use the cylindrical plugin then.

Any idea about the key, or which panorama plugin we should use?
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Wow, this is awesome! I want to find the right person to do the voicing. I am already thinking of some of my friends to try out and record so you should listen to the accent, voice and/or quality.

I want to make this right.

I am PM a key for Cubic Panorama Simon ;-)

Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:41 am

Puzzle Ideas:

1. Revolving Room reveals a hidden doorway
Player finds a room with a lever that turns a pole in the center of the room. There is a broken beam that connects the outer round wall with the center revolving axis system. When the beam is fixed or replaced and put in the slots, an opening in the outer wall is found. This may be a bit simple, but the player has to find the supplies to fix the beam.

http://www.hickchickgames.com/Myst/myst-revolving_wall_puzzle.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:53 am

---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:13 am

Yes!! All of this is very interesting.
- the panorama key: thanks a lot Deki!
- puzzle with a revolving pole: I love the idea, it's like in Riven :twisted:
- ascii chart: will be useful !!

Guys, just a question to make things clear for me: does one of you want to develop the whole game in Visionaire (and I provide the graphics) or am I supposed to do everything and you're here to support me? I need to know your involvment in this, if I need to save more time for the project or not. Because the graphics only are already a lot of work...
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:10 am

Nice puzzle, I like it. It is supposed to be an items puzzle where you have to find some items and fix the beam.

As for Visionaire, I would like to first see and try out the engine, then I could say... :(

I've tried it once, but I don't really recall doing anything useful with it. I will download and see what I'll do...

Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Simon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:38 am

OMG!

I didn't want to say Visionaire, but AM!!!
Sorry guys, I have the head full of CATYPH things...

So this is the correct sentence:
just a question to make things clear for me: does one of you accept to develop Myha in ADVENTURE MAKER, or should I do it?
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 am

Then YES! :)

Although, Bob should do the puzzles since he is master at puzzles and programming :twisted:

Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Simon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Ahah yes! If Bob agrees, then it's much better if he can do the puzzles. Just tell me guys what you need for the graphics of the puzzles and I will create it.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Lol. The stories I could tell you Simon that is similar to crossing VS with AM.

V66 and I will stitch this together.
V66 has the voicing and icons.
I have programming puzzles.
We all will,work out puzzle ideas.
I like the sequence idea...I might add a bit of new complexity to it, but I need to test it out first.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby domozo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi everyone..
I may not be able to do any thing with this great game that you are making, but I am very pleased by all what I read here, and I wish
all of you good luck, and of course to Viron, and his great game, but ( if ) I had the chance ( cause of my life demands now ), I will draw
a comic poster or another comic draw for the game...this is some of my comics artwork
good luck to everyone :D
Attachments
1011174_416585535116310_722769371_n.jpg
Solomon, Dinosaurs fighter2
1011174_416585535116310_722769371_n.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 10067 times
Last edited by domozo on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
domozo
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:15 am

Nice artwork, Domozo!!!!
You'll have to work with Simon on the artwork. He has a better connection with the story as he is the author.
However, if you have any ideas for puzzles in this game (and that goes for anyone reading this), please submit them!!!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby domozo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:02 am

reneuend wrote:Nice artwork, Domozo!!!!
You'll have to work with Simon on the artwork. He has a better connection with the story as he is the author.
However, if you have any ideas for puzzles in this game (and that goes for anyone reading this), please submit them!!!

Thanks reneuend, I will do anything I can...and it is good to give an idea for a puzzle, that will be possible.. :roll:
with my best regards..
domozo
Frequent Poster

Postby domozo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi friends..
OMG, really I got an update in my issue, I will do new things for my marriage, and will be only
watching your work, I will not be able to draw in meantime :oops: ..but really it is amazing to see this nice creation :D
best regards..
domozo
Frequent Poster

Postby Vairon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:41 pm

This idea is awesome!
I was thinking to create a game for the JAM with Unity, but maybe I could help with the graphics if you need help with this task :wink:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Simon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:12 pm

No, go create your game with Unity :twisted: It's your beloved software now!
Just kidding!! :mrgreen:

Of course I will tell you if we need help, thank you very much for asking (Vairon and Domozo).
Bob and Deki are motivated by the project and we're doing well. I try to reduce the quantity of graphics..
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Hahaha, yes there is a new love in my life... :lol:

I will follow your progress closely :twisted:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Simon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:28 pm

More seriously, will you try to create a game for the Myst Jam? It would be so great if you could participate too.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 am

Yes, I think that I can create something interesting for this JAM... I have a couple of ideas ;-)
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:37 am

Nice to see everyone's posts and interest!

I have some ideas for puzzles and general puzzle layout.
I think it would be a bit of subtle humor if the player has to pull parts from the crashed rocket in order to solve puzzles on the island.
So, my first puzzle idea with the broken beam? I think the player should be able to get a log from somewhere on the island, but finds it will break if he uses it. Ultimately, the player will need to pull a fuel tube from the rocket (made of extremely light and strong material), and use it as a beam.

Another puzzle idea: There is an opening in the cave that is well above the reach of the player. The steps that used to be there have diminished to rubble. The player will have to collect clay soil, by first getting or building a shovel from the rocket and putting it in a bucket. Then the player will need to heat it up using the rocket's jets, heating unit, microwave, or some kind of heat source. We could even push this further where the temperature has to be correct to make strong bricks. Of course, something on the rocket will have to be salvaged to make a mold and to build a cart to take it to the cave. The fun doesn't stop there...with a set number of bricks, the player will have to position them to make steps to the opening.

So, what do you think?

I'm going to go think about a sequence puzzle next...
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi friends!
How does project go? I hope well, please say something! :)

In the end I am also developing a mini game for JAM, maybe I can share more info and images on the "General Chat" forum because I'm using Unity. :twisted:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Simon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Yeah!!! Come and share your progress in the general forums Juanjo!

I am afraid that we have not made a lot of progress with Myha, I was too busy and it would seem that Bob and Deki are busy too.
I have been working on a bit of modeling in the evening lately, and I think I have the main puzzle ideas with the path to follow on the island (from the beginning to the end of the game). But that's all in my head, so now it needs to be created in 3D! Hopefully I will be able to work on it this weekend and share my progress with everyone.
Simon
Expert Member

Next

Return to New Games Announcements