[SOLVED] Transitioning from VB6 to VB5

This forum is meant for announcing new plugins, downloading other people's plugins, posting questions, etc.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

[SOLVED] Transitioning from VB6 to VB5

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 pm

VB6 can load VB5 projects, but VB5 cannot load VB6 projects without some minor tweaking of the VBP file in Notepad. For these reasons (among a few other reasons) I bought VB5 on eBay recently so that I could port my plugins to use VB5 instead. This will give people who don't own VB6 but do have VB5 the option to still modify my plugins out-of-the-box.

However, I tried compiling an empty ActiveX control project, along with my WebBrowser plugin, and neither worked in AM, I got the typical error you get when a control is not installed properly for both, which was very discouraging. I used the right method names and ProgID, and the OCX files I compiled could be reused in VB5 just fine, so I have the impression VB5-built ActiveX controls simply do not work in AM - Is this really the case? Has anyone else tried make VB5 AM plugins before?

I'd like to know I didn't just waste $32.50, while that was a great deal on the product, and it was in "like new" condition, there isn't near as much I intend to use it for now.

Thanks!
Samuel
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: Transitioning from VB6 to VB5

Postby reneuend » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:44 am

Sorry to hear that TKG. I have VB6, but not VB5. Are there people who use VB5 more widely than VB6? VB6 seems like the most popular version before VB.NET came along. I'm guessing that only GM could answer this one.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 am

Yes VB6 is more popular, but due to its demand it is also a lot more expensive. I wanted make things more accessible for people who can't afford VB6 or people who only happen to have VB5.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I heard from GM when I contacted him about this issue as well. He said that it should work and he doesn't understand why I am getting that error message. I dug a little further and I discovered that the OCX file I created, while it registers fine on the computer I created it on, it doesn't seem to register on any other PC I tried registering it on. So this leads me to believe the two are connected issues. I'm going to try reinstalling VB5 and hopefully that will fix it. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, I've found some people on several different sites who said they were having problems registering ActiveX controls made with VB5 on Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: [SOLVED] Transitioning from VB6 to VB5

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Turns out I needed to download and install the VB5 runtime, which is no longer included with Windows. Problem solved! :mrgreen:
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Sounds like you have it lick. good luck with your projects
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks Candle! :)
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to The Plugins Corner