work on a room- in g-max

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

work on a room- in g-max

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:33 am

discovered i can't render properly in g-max and no shadows so i had to make the shadows as actual components of the model (arghh--lol!)

have-ing fun tho with the idea--hope you like

got my work cut out with all those drawers :shock:
Bortdafarm

Postby Candle » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:42 am

They look good to me ..
Nice job .
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 am

Cheers! it's the lack of anti-alaising in the G-max "render" window that knocks it back aswell---(gets a bit jagged edge all the time---especailly when you see those fully rendered images with the more high end soft-ware--i can't learn another modelling program tho--G-max nearly killed me :oops: )

cheers again - it's hard to know what to feel about the work you've done (in realistic terms) because you've just invested so much effort into it that
you get "tunnel vision" on the whole thing--i'm quite enjoying doing the rooms tho---

any one thought of building a catalogue of free rooms for folks to download as they start of and hosting it here? i'd be willing to contribute --might prove to be a good incentive for new-comers who haven't got the time to create the images they need to build their games?
what do you think?

first thing i did was build a room round the AM light on light off tutorial images--
Bortdafarm

Postby Meshag » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi Bortdafarm.

Your models are very nice... Your room is fine too. But yes, GMax antialiasing is kind of lazy :D

I think the catalogue is a great idea, i'd be happy to help if enough people were interested...

Let's see if we can do something...

Bye
Romain
Meshag

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:19 pm

cheers! there ARE a few plug-ins for G-Max that allow rendering (have you had any experience with them?) but i haven't been able to get them to work so far--

i'll get the ball rolling on the room catalogue idea and offer this room as a start--

here's a couple more shots and a download link to the full set--

download the full set (as it stands) at 640X480 (as above) can offer a higher res if the idea catches on (but it would be a bigger down-load)

http://www.ebort.com/images/bortroom01.zip

:arrow:
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm

i've run up some details to complete the set
door shut and open
drawers opening and shutting
close ups and extra views--
and the phone on and off the hook--
(see below)

here's the link to download the detail set for the room

http://www.ebort.com/images/bortroom01d.zip

it's a start!!
Bortdafarm

Postby Imari » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:50 pm

Image quality, to me, is only just below the storyline in importance in a game. I like the style, the mood created, and the color scheme in your images. If this is what you're doing with GMax, I'd love to see what you could do with other programs. (I believe that GMax is mostly meant for doing real time 3D scenes that need to be low poly.)

Your idea about creating a stockpile of scenes is a nice one, and it might be a great way for people to acquire images useful in learning AM.
Imari
VIP

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:23 pm

many thanks! yes it's extremely frustrating working in G-Max--it IS capable of very nearly all the modelling ability of the full 3DS Max program --but iit has no rendering engine built into it at all--so what your left with is just taking screenshots of the modelling perspective window :cry: it 's really just for making add-ons for games really--aircraft for flightsims and so on--it can handle 100% detailing on objects it just won't perform the rendering--which leaves you at about the same level as a PlayStation One rendering- summat like that--not too bad tho for fun--
hope the catalogue of scenes concept takes off as i'n sure it could create a more active user base (and it's fun!)

Cheers again for the encouragement--i've got a learning edition of Maya some-where i'll install it and see if my head can take the stress!
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:00 pm

one more detail -those books on the desk--

dunno quite what i was going to do with them - but there has to be a puzzle in there some-where lol!

any-way should be use-full for book close ups (by croping the image to a single book and cut /paste a new image onto the front cover etc)
me i was sort of wondering about a "cluedo" approach which one is the villian etc lol i dunno :idea: :?:
Bortdafarm

This set is superb

Postby mugginsmajik » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:38 am

Hi, just to say thanks for the great images, I'm new to A.M. and these go down a treat. I'm working on a victorian era game and the row of books and the cards will work well - Keep up the good work!
mugginsmajik

Postby Bortdafarm » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 am

many thanks!

got the sketchs for the book covers from this great site

http://www.victorianlondon.org/index1.htm

endless info there--great for victorian slang (for dialogue etc)

if only modeling horses wasn't such a impossible task (for me any way lol!)
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi thanks for the info' - Look forward to seeing more of your great work
mugginsmajik

Postby Bortdafarm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:27 pm

:D Cheers...if there's anything simple say a victorian item you fancy
aslong as it's nothing to time consuming let me know and i'll make it and post the screen shot so you can use it---don't go mad tho--i'm no expert!
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi, thanks, that?s very kind of you, but don?t worry, I have recently been given a copy of Poser 5, so I?m starting to play around with that. You can?t make much from scratch in Poser, but there seems to be thousands of free downloads on RENDEROSITY.COM, So I?m going to use what I can from there.
The models seem to load alright, but it?s the rendering which will take some practise.
Anyway I am always keen to see other?s work, whatever it maybe and your latest carriage images are superb. Thanks again
mugginsmajik

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 pm

ok you Poser pics look great too i'm waiting for my copy of Poser Artist to re-arrive (it came in the post to-day but the dang postman didn't give me time to answer the door before he scuttled it back to the depot--so friday is when it is going to be re-delivered..)
should be interesting!!
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:36 am

Hi, I assume that Poser Artist has similar functions, If it's as good as Poser 5, it should mean some great results!
mugginsmajik

Return to Artwork