automatic full screen option?

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

automatic full screen option?

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 am

is it possible to by-pass the normal resoloution select option (which results in the game being displayed at what ever res you have selected in a black box on the screen) and simply be able to go immediately to full screen display---i may be still too unfamiliar with the program --so far i have only been able to get full screen display as a sort of glitch!???

when using the resoloution option on the start screen the game starts briefly shows the desktop re-sized to the new res then the game starts proper at full screen-- if you by-pass the start screen and tell the game to go directly to the first frame in the game ---then you don't get a full screen (stretched?) display-the game is displayed in a 640X480 (for example) image in the centre of the screen (the rest of the screen being black) -am i making any sense? :oops:

EDIT:
little additional confusion to add --
if i was to make a game at 800X600 res (all the screen backgrounds being 800X600) then offer the player the option on the start screen to resize to 640X480 --the game becomes unplayable because a third of the screen for each room is hidden -the background image being cropped to 640X480 NOT resized--and there is no scroll facility to bring the full 800X600 background back into the playable area-?

i have to say i'm extremely puzzled :oops:

what's the jist of the AM resoloution options?
Bortdafarm

Postby GM-Support » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi Bortdafarm,

About your last problem, which is that 800x600 games are cropped when you go Full Screen, here is the solution:

1. Go to the Project Properties
2. Click the Options tab
3. Under the text "Show option to automatically change resolution", change the value that is in the drop-down menu to "800x600".

Please let me know if this is clear for you.

As far as bypassing the menu and still being able to go Full Screen, just follow these steps:

1. Go to the Project Properties
2. Click the Advanced tab
3. Check the option "Execute some VBScript code when the project starts".
4. Enter the following command in the text box:
Code: Select all
Action.ChangeDisplayResolution 1

This will work for projects that are 640x480. If you use 800x600, just change use the following code instead:
Code: Select all
Action.ChangeDisplayResolution 2

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:56 pm

ok thanks-- i'll take a look

is there a VB code for 1024X768 i'm guessing because this is a custom res there isn't a inbuilt number (1 2 3?) for it?

if i can get to the first frame without have-ing the desktop flash on screen after the start screen (one way or another) i'll be happy 8)

is there any thought about providing scroll bars if the player elects to reduce the resoloution?

this way i could offer a game at 1024X768 res and allow the player to use the change res option on the start screen to reduce the res if he/she had any problems--?
i know this is probably more complex code wise than it sounds?
i'm still very new to AM so forgive any ignorance

it's a God send of a program --i've tried dozens of other game creation soft-ware packages and AM is the only one that gives me the best of both worlds---instant access with the option to go "complex" if i want to (using a world standard code VB6 language (i own a copy of VB6 so i can kill two bird with one stone--learn a bit of VB in a fun way and create a game at the same time- and anytyhing i learn in AM can be applied to the MSN Vb6 studio as well-- perfect :D )
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:34 pm

no luck sadly----

Action.ChangeDisplayResolution 3

does give 1024X768 tho i did try adding

RefreshWindow

aswell but the display still goes to the desktop briefly before the game resizes even if it's the same resoloution as the game is initially set at--

i'm guessing the problem is that my normal desktop resoloution is larger than 1024X768 so it needs to blip it before loading the screen--once the game is running there's no problem but it does look a bit naff especailly right as the game starts (similarly if you by pass the start menu screen same problem either way)

if i allow the game to display the frames centralised on the screen with the black border filler around it then it starts clean as a whistle--

perhaps one thought might be to use the VB code to add the maximise and restore buttons to the window top tool bar and then run the game in a window? perhaps then it might be possible to customise the windows task bar to blend it into the game graphics a little better --
maybe if i told the game to get my desktop resoloution as it loaded the start screen then it might not glitch to desktop when you run the game proper --what do you think i'm doing wrong?
Bortdafarm

Postby Candle » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:39 pm

When you view the page when you are working on the game it will show with a black frame around the picture but if you run the game you will find it is in a full window so maybe thats what you are seeing?
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 pm

:cry: no sadly this happens when i run the project proper- it doesn't display full screen with-out the brief blip to desktop (same thing happens when you exit) :arrow:

edit;

when you run the project
and click start the screen goes black briefly then your looking at your desktop (resized to the game res and cropped) then the game runs (once it's running all is fine (tho same thing happens on exit)

if i remove the option to resize from the start menu or go directly to the first frame the game isn't full screen
Last edited by Bortdafarm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bortdafarm

Postby Candle » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 pm

You always get that part were the screen is changing sizes.
I haven't got rid of it yet . lol
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 pm

:D it's bl**dy annoying! lol :D

the resoloution options seem a bit strange all round---allso if i offer the player the chance to resize my 1024X768 game to 800X600 he can't play it ! as the screen is cropped down to 800X600 not resized so a third of the screen is missing --can't win either way lol :cry:
Bortdafarm

Postby Skye » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Hi bortdafarm,

Don't know if this will help but it is how I got around the problem you are describing.

1. I have bypassed the AM title screen

2. The game starts with my company logo (and a full screen avi). This runs in a 640x480 window on the screen.

3. After the logo avi plays, the game moves on to a black frame. This sets up the computer for the next frame which is where the resolution change occurs

4. A second black frame comes up and in it's frame properties is the script to change the screen resolution to 800 x 600.

5. The game proceeds from this point.

During the resolution change there is no view of the desktop, only a black screen.

Hope this will help.

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Postby Bortdafarm » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:44 am

arhh i see!! brilliant Skye thanks!! it still shows the desktop but the last image shown on the desktop was a black screen so it's fooled!! genius!
many thanks!

EDIT ;
yup it works for me all right-- i used three load screens--one with the title of the game--linked to another completely black with a timer to take it to the third which has the change res code--
it seems to be about what image was loaded into the memory prior to the resize me-thinks ///if i add some text to the previuos screen the text is carried onto the resize screen briefly before it clears to the new size---

sorted cheers Skye
Bortdafarm

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports