Some images

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Some images

Postby Harvester » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi
Before looking at the pictures, read this first please.
I can't use any 3d modeller programmes, so I decided to use a home designer software to create my images. I know it's not the best way of game-making, but until I can find a guy who make the graphics for me, it's the best I can do.
Please tell me what you think about these!
Attachments
19.jpg
19.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 34019 times
16b.jpg
16b.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 34019 times
11b.jpg
11b.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 34019 times
09.jpg
09.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 34019 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 34019 times
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:35 pm

well if you think about it home desinger software should in theory anyway be absolutely perfect for room design (it is after all made for designing ROOMS!) so i'd say don't be so quick to dismiss the program your using --it' is perfect for the job (for interiors anyway) i really tyhink the images you've posted are top notch---i say carry on making your own images look for the more advanced features of the program you've got and take the final image and add some additional effects thru a graphics program (even picture it which comes with windows XP allows you to add some very use-full effects to an image )

all in all-- brilliant stuff---what soft ware did you use to make the rooms?
get your self a garden designer as well and it seems to me you have the perfect package for designing games--

learn how to use your room designer soft ware to it's fullest extent and it'll no doubt astound you with what it's capable of--and it's good practice if you do decide to switch to a dedicated 3D modelling/rendering program-which can be very finnicky/ difficult to learn)

great images especailly like the door
try running them thru a "sharpen" filter in a graphics program and see how they come out
IMO you don't need any one else --your images are very nice indeed
Bortdafarm

Thanks

Postby Harvester » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks for the nice comment. I use Punch Home Design AS4000 and it can design gardens and exteriors as well. i think this programme makes the best rendered pictures from home designer softwares. Then I used Corel Photoshop to blur the images because this way they fit better to my games atmosphere, and as a home designer software, AS4000 produces -I don't know how to say it in English...-... so the edges are not very nice.

I like to work alone, but unfortunately with a room designer software I can't create actors which are needed in all of my games, so I always have to ask for help... but until somebody helps me, it's not such a big problem for me. Of course I'd rather do everything myself, but due to the lack of freetime and qualifications I can't do that :(

And there are some interesting cases with this game... for example when I tried to create a subway-train with it :) It was... interesting.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Imari » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:39 pm

I like the blurred effect. I thought it was intentional. :)
On the image of the door, the lower door panel appears to be cut off by the stoop.
Imari
VIP

Postby Candle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm

I did this with home3Dplan . so lots can be done with them.
Attachments
newfireplacewithtv1.jpg
newfireplacewithtv1.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 33994 times
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Bortdafarm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:20 pm

Harvester!
get hold of a copy of POSER (lots of the older versions are available free and in full on cover discs) Poser is set up for create-ing figures and comes with several default figures and clothes etc --plenty more can be down-loaded from poser sites-- 8)

bit of cut and paste and you done!
Bortdafarm

Poser

Postby Harvester » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:20 pm

I heard about poser, however I couldn't find any free versions... and is it easy to use? :? As you see I am not very good at these kind of softwares...
Imari, that's true, thanks for noticing the mistake, but unfortunately this is a thing which i couldn't solve with AS4000 yet... or if I would do it in another way, it would be not this nice :)
I haven't heard of home3dplan, I will check it out.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:40 am

here you go Harvester! yes it's pretty easy to use--
PCWorld magazine site download section

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22641,00.asp

Poser usually allow the big computer magazines to carry older versions of the program on their cover discs and down-load sites

allso consider buying a copy of the game "The Movies" by activision
this allows you to create and direct your own movies -as part of the gameplay----the thing that's interesting is --you really CAN direct the movies you make---full camera control full ability to construct a customised set ---choose your characters clothes etc etc---i haven't played it but i have seen what it can do---and it would be a ~~didn't mean to swear~~ of a tool for making backgrounds --construct your movie set---place your actors- set the lighting--move the camera- couple of screen captures and blammo--
dunno what the legal situation is doing this even for free games tho--
Bortdafarm

Postby Candle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 am

Seems it is a bad zip.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:30 am

must be -can't possible be just 7.6 KB

i got the icon maker from there whilst i was checking and that's ok---
Harvester-
get your self down the news agent and browse thru the PC mags with cover discs it's fair money that one of them will carry a version of Poser --if not keep your eye open it won't be long before one of them does--
check out their web sites they all have fairly huge sites with back catalogues of most of their cover disc stuff available for download--
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:16 pm

here you here's a site giving links to all the major UK Computer magazines web sites

ALL of them have their own download sections---spending a few hours trawling thru them will no doubt fish up some use-full and interesting stuff
http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/mags/corner.htm
Bortdafarm

Thanks

Postby Harvester » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:59 pm

Thank you, i will do that. I already have The Movies, it's a really great game, however I think it is not as good as you described it... but it can be useful for some people. But if someone would like to make simply the charachters, I guess Sims 2 is a better choice. I hope I can get poser and it is REALLY easy to use, so I don't have to use these games.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Harvester » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:48 pm

I report Poser is a great program. It's really easy to use, however it is quite difficult to use it's more advanced features... so thanks for the advice, now I can contunie working on my game faster.
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: Report

Postby Bortdafarm » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:40 pm

Harvester wrote:I report Poser is a great program. It's really easy to use, however it is quite difficult to use it's more advanced features... so thanks for the advice, now I can contunie working on my game faster.

well done..i re-installed poser3 from an old cover disc and had a fiddle with it...once you've gotten the hange of where the various menus are stored other figures different pre set poses etc etc..then it all starts to slot to gether...there are hundreds of web sites dedicated to Poser add-ons where you can download new figures poses props etc etc...most are pay ware but there's quite a bit of free ware knocking about allso-- down load some new figures and pose sets and then experiment..

me i REALLY struggle creating my own poses (i just can't seem to control the figure for anything other than minor changes seems counter intuitive some-how) but that's no draw back given the pre set poses are plenty flexible enough..

here's a link to some free poser add-ons to get you started...

http://www.greylight.com/poser.html

funnily enough i'm glad you got me thinking about Poser again as it is invaluable -- the possibilitys are endless.. :D
Attachments
Render_8.jpg
tiny bit cross eyed but great stuff anyway! lol
Render_8.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 33903 times
Bortdafarm

Another picture

Postby Harvester » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Here is a picture I created.... I haven't added background or things like that yet. I think it is quite hard to create your own poses, yeah... I have most problems with the hands and arms... but it's nice. Could you list some more free pages? I will check this one out.
Attachments
wife3.jpg
wife3.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 33890 times
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 pm

do a search for poser+free most the free stuff is spread out pretty thinly apart from that site..AFAIK

yes the posing stuff is weird (at least i think so) if i grab a part of the figure and move it ...say by dragging the mouse slightly to the right...and i don't like the results..you would think dragging the mouse slightly back to left again would return the figure to it's original position....but no...it continues to move to the right..and i end up with some hideously distorted genetic experiment !...can't get my head round that at all..so it's load a set pose and gingerly tinker with it to get some thing close to what i wanted...#

that's the only thing that really puts me off the program..don't see how i can control the movement..i wish they would allow you to lock ALL the body parts and move only the arm or leg then up-date the pose to compensate for the new position...be much more practical for me anyway...again it may be down to some feature of the program i have yet to discover...

what i have done..is order a copy of a related program called "Poser Artist"

http://www.clickgrafix.com/products/poser_artist.htm

which comes with over 70 figures etc included...if i can't get what i want from 70 figures then i'm being way to picky! lol
Attachments
Render_5.jpg
usefull to use depth cue-ing to create distance fog and then edit the image to dramtic effect for games..
Render_5.jpg (3.3 KiB) Viewed 33870 times
Bortdafarm

Poser

Postby Harvester » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Yeah, movement coordination is not the best, however there are many basic poses.... my only problem is that I can't find some which I need, but I hope I can solve it somehow. My other problem is the time video exportation (Xvid avi) takes very much time :? I mean a 16 seconds video took a whole night to render. Can you tell me which part of the PC affect the speed of this video rendering?
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:17 pm

i haven't tried the export to avi functions yet...AFAIK it's your processor speed and RAM that affect the rendering speed.--just a logical guesse tho--.try mimimising the quality and resoloution of the AVI if there are any options for this...?

all night for 19 seconds worth is not real world stuff out side of University laboratorys anyway LOL!!
Bortdafarm

video

Postby Harvester » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:10 pm

I could make worse quality videos, but then they wouldn't be so nice :) So it's not so bad for me to let the machine do what it has to do whole night. Unfortunately changing my CPU is quite an expensive thing, and I think the problem is not with my RAM, so I guess this whole-night-rendering is the only way... doesn't matter. I hope I won't need longer videos :)
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: video

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Harvester wrote:I could make worse quality videos, but then they wouldn't be so nice :) So it's not so bad for me to let the machine do what it has to do whole night. Unfortunately changing my CPU is quite an expensive thing, and I think the problem is not with my RAM, so I guess this whole-night-rendering is the only way... doesn't matter. I hope I won't need longer videos :)

thing is once it's rendered the AVI you can then re work/re size it a little in a dedicated AVI editing program and bring the quality back up... 8)

at the very least reduce the franes per second down from 30....reducing it to 20 will make no discernable difference to the playback..IMO
but it will reduce the render time and the size of the final file dramatically...
Bortdafarm

Postby Imari » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 am

I agree that Poser is a terrific tool. These sites also have a tremendous amount of quality free items.

Renderosity.com
DAZ3D.com
RuntimeDNA.com
3DCommune.com
Imari
VIP

Postby CBSection31 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 am

What version of Poser are you using? I started using at version 4, so if you are using a version earlier than that, then this may not help you, but...

Poser (4 and up, at least) has dials on the right side of the screen that allow you to pose the body. Click on a body part, and there will be dials such as twist, bend, front/back, etc. This allows much more precision than manually adjusting the pose by dragging the mouse while over a body part.

As far as making video sequences, the first thing I do is lower the framerate from 30 FPS to 15. For a game, there is no real noticeable difference. Next, close ALL applications you have running that aren't needed by Windows. Then, it's up to your processor speed and RAM to see how it goes. I'm usually able to render around 15 minutes worth of video a day, on average, using this. I also recommend rendering the video without compression, editing it later in a video editing application, and compressing it right at the end. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:05 am

I'm using Poser 3 at the mo' but i have ordered Poser Artist which is based on Poser 4 so with any luck it will have the movement dails...moving stuff by the mouse click on the part gets me "man tied in knots by gerard depardeiu" every time :oops: 8)
Bortdafarm

Thanks

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:08 pm

Nice ideas, thanks for the help, you solved my time-problem :) I use Poser 6, and I am very happy with it, it's very nice, however it is quite imposible to create a face from photograps... :? Any solutions for that?
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby CBSection31 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:54 pm

I must confess that I use Poser 4 and 5 (not 6), and so I do not have that feature on my versions. :oops: I'm sorry!
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Harvester » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:33 pm

I haven't used any older versions of Poser so I didn't know that. :? Then I guess I have solve this thing myself or find some tutorials or something. Doesn't matter, I wanted to use this face-making just for fun.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Nexic » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:35 pm

In my opinion your area graphics look pretty good, especially 11b. Though from the shots you have shown I think you need to try and have more objects in each scene. At the moment it's looking a little barren.
Nexic

thx

Postby Harvester » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks for the nice comment. As you see they are created with a home designer programme, and it's not as easy to make a scene with details such as many objects :? Unfortunately this is bad for the gameplay too because the game is easier this way. But until i can't find a better method to create, this is (almost) the best i can do.
Harvester
Forum Master

Pics

Postby BBP_BigBadPeanut » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:52 am

Hi People some nice pictures of what poser and other programs can create :D I use Poser in some of my projects and find it Very good program to use yet I only have Poser5 the latest is 6 anyway good luck everyone BBP_bigbadpeanut
BBP_BigBadPeanut
Frequent Poster

poser

Postby Harvester » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:42 pm

I don't know if poser 5 has a FireFly or what rendering stuff in it. That IS nice. That's why my video renderings are so long, now I know. At every frames it calculates very realistic shadows and everything. So in a little scene there are about 300-500 renderings....
Harvester
Forum Master

Next

Return to Artwork