My first own 3d model

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

What do you think about this model as it is my first 3d model?

Nice for a beginner
86%
Not bad, but my first model was much better
No votes
Bad
14%

Total votes : 7

My first own 3d model

Postby Harvester » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi,

Ad you could see in other topics I had problems with graphics because I didn't know how to use 3d modellers. I know nobody is interested in it, but here is my first own 3d model :) I'm so proud of it... I see there are many mistakes in it but don't forhet: this is the first time I used a 3d modeller! I am interested in your thoughts about it...
Attachments
myfirst3dmodel.jpg
myfirst3dmodel.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 27925 times
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: My first own 3d model

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 pm

Harvester wrote:Hi,
Ad you could see in other topics I had problems with graphics because I didn't know how to use 3d modellers. I know nobody is interested in it, but here is my first own 3d model :) I'm so proud of it... I see there are many mistakes in it but don't forhet: this is the first time I used a 3d modeller! I am interested in your thoughts about it...

Hi Harvester,
I can understand you very much as I am in the same situation like you. I'm just about to gain some experience in 3D, but it's not easy for me. I'm just playing around with different features and learning. And I also know this feeling of being so proud of something that you know that others can do better (but nevermind, we have the right to be proud of anything we figure out, that's my point of view) :wink:
Actually I like your first trial though there will be much more work with it until it will be perfect. Go ahead and you will figure out how to use your 3D modeller. It will be interesting to compare your current model with a future one. Nice job! :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Candle » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Looks like a good start. just keep at it and you will have great stuff .
I know I can't do that good.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Qtip5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Nice picture dude. It would take me a long time before I can figure out how to use 3D modelers.
Jake is Back!
Qtip5

Thx

Postby Harvester » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. I know I have to learn so-so much but these programs have many-many features to discover so it will take a long time :) It took me a month to figure out how to put textures on models... so now I think I know the very basic things of 3d modellings. However I can't figure it out how can I make a window properly.
I mean I have a box object and I want to cut a window out of it. Anyone can tell me how to do that? I use Lightwave, but i guess it works in similar way in all programs...
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Qtip5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:35 pm

If it took you months it would probably take me years
Jake is Back!
Qtip5

Postby AncientRein » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:42 pm

hi harvester ,

just keep practicing .

most modeling software have whats called boolean operations
for cutting holes in things. for instance if you have a wall
and want to make a window you can use a small rectangle
on the large wall and subtract it to cut a hole or holes
check your manual im sure its in there.
great textures can make even a simple model look great
especialy when you start layering. it takes time to learn.

great job and good luck my friend 8)
AncientRein
AncientRein

ok

Postby Harvester » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:58 pm

Ok, I will do that :) However now I'm just playing with the features of Lightwave. What do you think about the roof's texture? I think that's not bad, but I'm interested in your opinion.

Qtip5, if you read the manual it won't take even months to make models like this :) It's not such a big job. If you get a 3d modeller and read the manual and read/watch some online tutorials you will learn it quickly. I was stupid that I couldn't find the manual's part wihich contained instructions for texturing.

Learning this whole thing is not easy :? But for example if you have some nice textures (e.g you can download many from the internet for free) then you can make not bad pictures using only basic features and shapes. This is only my opinion and I am a beginner, so correct me if I'm not right.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Qtip5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:06 pm

what would you reccomend that i use for 3D modeling?
Jake is Back!
Qtip5

Postby AncientRein » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:10 pm

i like the roof texture but it looks a little shiny
perhaps you could tweak it. It kind of looks`like a gingerbread house
with a candy roof , yummy :wink:

it could use some grime textures too , semi tranparent dirt
and grudge to add some realism . Keep workin at it.

lightwave is really fantastic software.
AncientRein
AncientRein

yeah

Postby Harvester » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Yeah, I agree that lightwave is nice (so I recommend it, Qtip5, but I don't know if it's the easiest to use program or not, I just choosed this and I haven't tried out any other).

However, AncientRein, the second paragraph of your message was not unsderstandable, i guess it's due to the lack of my language and 3d-modelling-special-language knowledge :?
The roof texture wanted to be something like wet, but i guess than it's not really like that :) I personally like it, but maybe it's because this is my first model :)

I will work on it, but first of all I need to understand this boolean or what. I found it, but I don't know yet how to use it :? I guess it will take another month of my life.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Skye » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 am

Hi Harvester,

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here. . . . .

Lightwave, Wow I couldn't imagine trying to learn to use that For me Moray was a much simpler program to use and understand

About what Ancient Rein said---
I'm not sure how Lightwave does this but here is the basics

create your house or building wall
create all the squares and or rectangles that you need for doors and windows (whatever you think you need)
position then on the wall so that they stick out beyond the front and back of the wall

Now comes the tricky part. Search the program or tool bars for something that will create a "difference" ( this is a Moray term which means take the wall and cut out all the other shapes out of it - thus creating holes for doors and windows) or a "subtraction"

In 3D Studio Max, this is done with compound objects using Boolean algebra specifically the Subtraction option

I hope this isn't equally as confusing as Ancient Rein's but the method of difference or subtraction should be pretty standard across all the modellers.

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:44 pm

use your search engine--
not that much i could find on boolean cuts etc but

here's a tutorial for making a very detailed telescope
and is a bit advanced for your purposes--but some of the earlier steps should be interesting especailly for showing the "thought" process you need to develop--
but other wise scroll down to stage 8 for what might be a fairly simple example of a boolean function--studying the screen shots should show you what it is your actually doing when using a boolean cut (subtraction etc)

http://www.humanthing.com/cwall/tutorials.htm

this whole tutorial (if it's complete that is) should be highly use-full as all the functions it uses can equally apllied to any object you fancy making----don't expect to pick up the whole show in one swallow but use what you can pick up on what you are making so you can accumalte experience and familarity with the approach

it needs to be said allso that this is not the only method by which you could construct this object--you could use several cylinders of differing diameters to get a similar object (in the same way that you used several cubes to construct the walls of your house-- if you see what i mean--
Bortdafarm

Thanks

Postby Harvester » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the help. Now I'm a bit lost because the in lightwave help file I could read about different layers and things like that and this is new for me so now I guess I have to understand quite many things. Doesn't matter, I have much time :)
I will inform you as soon as I make any better models...
Harvester
Forum Master

Next model... texture problem

Postby Harvester » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi,

I understood this boolean method and created another house. However now I have a problem with the textures. So as you see on the side wall it's quite strange... I used cubic textures, and it worked at every other places, but here it doesn'nt :? I can't imagine what the problem is. An I know that the roof is still like the gingerbread house's candy roof, but if you don't consider that, what do you think about this one?
Attachments
3dmodel.JPG
3dmodel.JPG (32.58 KiB) Viewed 27813 times
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey, what a progress! :)
Sure, the side is a little weird and the roof is too shiny, but I'm sure that you will figure out soon how to correct it. I have just scrolled up and compared the houses, what a difference! If will go on in this tempo, you will have a perfect house in 2 days. Good luck for the further steps on it!
Mystery

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:08 pm

:D well there you go---try removing the texture and then re-applying it--boolean procedures tend to mess up the texture mapping slightly--save your project then try deleting the original parts leaving only the final "cut" objects---

it's best to apply texture only after you have cut eveything as you require it (if you haven't allready clocked this)

check to see wether you can select varying texture mapping options--ie cubic -cylindrical- flat etc etc--
Bortdafarm

Postby AncientRein » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:40 pm

hey , great job!

its really coming along. It looks like that side texture
may have been stretched and as a result looks flat and seems
to have had its bumpiness reduced. is that side a separate
component? you coul try applying the texture face on
on that particular side and may have to play with it

aint modeling cool. 8)
have fun
AncientRein
AncientRein

ok

Postby Harvester » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:16 pm

Ok, I will change that roof-texture and shinyness and everything if you don't like it. I will try to correct that side-wall-texture and then I guess I am almost ready. However I need a little more help... you see it's easier to ask here than to find that part in the helpfile and then try to understand it... so if I have two box objects (like in these models the two walls next to each other) and I want to combine them into one "L"-shaped corner. How can I do that? Or how can I draw that "L"-shaped corner without boxes?
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:22 pm

take a box copy it
position and resize (scale) the copy so it can be used to boolean cut away the surplus areas of the original box leaving you with tanaa!! an L shaped wall

at this stage use-ing boxes is probably the best way to go---

you could use splines and lofting methods but that's another story

put some legs on it and blammo you have got your first self made chair for your house----or shelves---or connect a bunch of them together and you have a flight of stairs-- (there will be a GROUP facility somewhere--do a quick read up on it-this will allso help with the walls etc)

if you place the smaller grey cube inside the larger red one--and use the grey cube to cut the red one--you have a empty box--and so on-- :idea:
Attachments
lshape.jpg
create two cubes place them thus--here the red cube is going to be used to cut away the areas of the grey cube leaving just..
lshape.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 27781 times
lshape2.jpg
boolean cut the original cube leaving just the L shaped walls you required
lshape2.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 27781 times
Bortdafarm

I see

Postby Harvester » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:13 pm

I see, thanks, it is so logical, I just simply couldn't find this solution :) Thank you. Now I guess I know almost everything to create that house perfectly...
Harvester
Forum Master

Ready

Postby Harvester » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:19 pm

I guess I am ready now. Here are some screenshots of the finished house. I hope you'll like it. This is the best I could do now, but I think it is not bad. At least not as bad as the first one :)
Attachments
model8.jpg
model8.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 27771 times
model7.jpg
model7.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 27771 times
model6.jpg
model6.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 27771 times
model5.jpg
model5.jpg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 27770 times
model4.jpg
model4.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 27770 times
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Mystery » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:48 pm

Wow, cool! :)
I want to move into this house if you add a nice garden :wink:
Good job, congratulations!
Mystery

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:05 pm

excellent stuff!
Bortdafarm

Postby Nexic » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Nice, is this Bryce by any chance?
Nexic

thanks

Postby Harvester » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks for the nice comments.

It's Lightwave. I can't use Bryce very well yet... but I hope I can learn that too.
Harvester
Forum Master

another

Postby Harvester » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Just anoher picture. It is NOT a scene, I just put my 3d models into one room, so it is not very realistic or things like that...
Attachments
roomtest1.JPG
roomtest1.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 27582 times
Harvester
Forum Master

the picture

Postby Harvester » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Sorry, I just forgot the picture i guess :)
Attachments
roomtest1.JPG
roomtest1.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 27582 times
Harvester
Forum Master

sorry

Postby Harvester » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 pm

sorry, I didn't forget it :? I was just a bit confused.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby GM-Support » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:30 pm

Very nice atmosphere!

GM-Support
GM-Support

Next

Return to Artwork