Cinema 4d v5 modelling and rendering

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Cinema 4d v5 modelling and rendering

Postby Bortdafarm » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 pm

another cover disc freebie....spent some time attempting to plod my way thru the 3d modelling capabilities (mu own as well as Cinema 4d's lol :oops: ) and managed to build some wall lamps and a basic scene

looks not half bad!! great freebie program, once you've stopped swearing at it.. :P
Attachments
hall01.jpg
cinema 4d v5 scene
hall01.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 31505 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:28 am

couple more

Cinema 4d is irritating to use but it can do just about everything neccessary...just wish they let a human being design the interfaces for these things arggh :? :roll: :twisted:
Attachments
room01.jpg
a ghostly room with a window scene
room01.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 31497 times
hall02.jpg
another version of the hall scene
hall02.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 31497 times
Bortdafarm

Nice

Postby Harvester » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:03 pm

Nice pictures, I like them very much! I guess Cinema 4d is not the program for beginers...
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Cheers! yep i reckon you've got to have either an obsessive streak or a maschocistic one (preferably (?) Both) to use it --it's not pleasant to use at all.....there are some very accurate tutorials around otherwise i'd have been well and truly stuck..it's a two handed job making anything--LOL mouse AND keyboard all the way -pretty annoying- it renders ok tho i might stick with it and see if it gets any easier
it makes you work extremely hard for everything tho IMO
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:03 pm

:D :o :shock: wow !!

I'm not much cop as a modellor (very average indeed) but Cinema certainly can do the high end stuff!! not a toy at all...and i think it's starting to get a little easier as i get the hang of how it likes things to be done---if anything it's forced me to start to learn the higher end functions splines lofting etc etc where-as in G-max i would just drag a few vertices around and that was about it lol!

anyhuw i don't mind saying these two renders are gourgeous!!

(just made the filing cabinet from a tutorial on the cinema web site)

yummy !!!
Attachments
room03.jpg
lovely!!!
room03.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 31469 times
room02.jpg
same ghostly room as before but with the file cab added and lit
room02.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 31469 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:41 am

I've exported the filing cabinet in a Poser compatible format and tested it in Poser 4...looks plenty usable for office scenes ..so

i've attached the exported obj file to the post if any body wants it
Attachments
filecab.zip
Poser compatible filing cabinet model and texture
(76.69 KiB) Downloaded 1037 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:18 am

bit more farting about---just found the ~Love to~ manual LOL that'll help a bit .. :D
Attachments
room05.jpg
room05.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 31426 times
room04.jpg
room04.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 31426 times
Bortdafarm

Hey

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm

~Love to~, they are very nice!!! I am trying to understand how these 3d modellers work, but I can't understand some things.... learning by reading tutorials is not as easy as I tought :?
It's not for this topic really, but can you -or anybody- tell me a very basic thing: HOW CAN I PUT A TEXTURE ON A MODEL??? This is the only thing I can't understand. Let's say I have a BMP image (let's say it's wood) and a simple cube. And I want to put this image on to the cube's side.
I guess it works almost in the same way at each 3d modellers... if I'm not right, I tell you I have Lightwave 8.5, and if it is really neccessery I can get 3d studion max 7...
Could anybody advise a tutorial or write one himself? Just because I can't find any tutorials to do this very basic thing...
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: Hey

Postby Bortdafarm » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Harvester wrote:~Love to~, they are very nice!!! I am trying to understand how these 3d modellers work, but I can't understand some things.... learning by reading tutorials is not as easy as I tought :?
It's not for this topic really, but can you -or anybody- tell me a very basic thing: HOW CAN I PUT A TEXTURE ON A MODEL??? This is the only thing I can't understand. Let's say I have a BMP image (let's say it's wood) and a simple cube. And I want to put this image on to the cube's side.
I guess it works almost in the same way at each 3d modellers... if I'm not right, I tell you I have Lightwave 8.5, and if it is really neccessery I can get 3d studion max 7...
Could anybody advise a tutorial or write one himself? Just because I can't find any tutorials to do this very basic thing...

you've just hit on the single most annoying part about all modelling programs (and most computer programs to boot!) they just don't give you COMPLETE instructions...they allways assume you allready know what to do...which makes 90% of tutorials a complete waste of time ,if you knew what to do you wouldn't NEED a ~Love to~ tutorial!!!

they say apply the texture to the cube--

what they don't say is click button A
select option 4 from the drop down list
open the texture library (by clicking button B on the drop down texture manager found in the material submenu which is located to the left of the UV map menu at the top of the tool bar)
then aply the texture to the cube by either selecting "Apply" or drag and dropping the texture from the thumbnail onto the cube---
this of course may not work if you have not allready applied a UV MAP modifier to the cube
to apply a UV MAP modifier to the cube select UV MAP from the modifier drop down menu found at the midle left of the main object tool bar---

select CUBIC MAP from the list
then apply the texture as mentioned before etc etc etc etc etc etc

nightmare----

i have never used Lightwave so i haven't got a clue exactly how it needs to be done in that program..
BUT it will be something like the method ive described above and by no means will it be a one click job---everything in full on 3D modelling programs unfortunately involves a long list of tasks before even the smallest job is accomplished..and not being familiar with the menus makes this allmost impossible without proper help--

the most difficult process in learning a modelling program is in fact GETTING PROPER HELP!!! once you've been shown the EXACT process needed to acomplish a task in full and complete detail including EVERY single step needed--the rest is just a matter of forming the habit

but sadly getting those instructions is incredibly difficult for reasons best known to the tutorial writer's them selves--(bit of elite-ism going on i wouldn't wonder?)

say where can you get a copy of 3D Studio max 7??
is it legal and if so can you point me at the place too?
i learn't G_MAX and the interface is allmost identical to the full 3D Max interface so if i could get hold of a legaly available older copy of 3D max for less than the 4 grand asking price for the most recent version i'd be as happy as larry! but ive never seen older versions of the program available to buy anywhere except ebay?

back to the texture problem--
look for instructions regarding these sorts of subjects--

MATERIAL

UVMAPPING

MODIFIERS

try to find the material editor or library on the interface
you should then be able to create a new material select a texture to use on that material and then apply the material/texture combination to your cube---it may need a UV MAPP modifier (look for the modifier menu) before it becomes visible---it's quite a complicated and involved process..

i've done a quick search for

"lightwave+tutorial+texture+Beginner"

and found this one which might give some clues--

http://www.yikes.nildram.co.uk/Sites/wylie/Tutorials/Basic%20lightwave%20tutorial/Html%20files/Chapter%204%20The%20finnishing%20touches.htm

note where he applys a texture to the galss bowl as a reflection map and see how you can see the name of the texture file on the menu

now you may need to use a different option to apply a normal texture
diffuse perhaps if thats available--

but it's that part of the interface that's does the job..
hope you can get the information you need---sometimes you begin to wonder if some folks actually want beginners to be able to learn how to use these programs..
Bortdafarm

thanks

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:36 pm

hey, thanks for the help and for typing so much. I hope I can do it now, I will try it. 3d studio max is a friend's, so I don't buy but borrow it. I guess -or at least I hope- this is legal :) I don't know any places to buy it, I'm sorry that I can't help you in that...

Thanks for your help again, I will inform you as soon as I could reach my goal :)
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:50 am

Ok no worries-- it looks like you need to be working with the
SURFACE menu and the
SURFACE EDITOR options...using the load button to add your texture to the basic set up--along those lines..

my guess is that you need to add a surface to the cube

then edit the surface in the surface editor to add your texture to the surface--guess select the cube surface in the left hand menu then use the load button--you might need to select the "T" (texture?) option for the colour and or diffuse entrys (shown in the screenie on the tutorial from the link)

then add the surface/texture combination to the cube---could be automatic?

he he! as you can see it's not a simple process--and all those other options will change the way the texture looks..stick with it-- other programs will not be any easier to use i can asssure you! so it's best to get along with the one you have
bit of a race really---will enthusiasm last long enough to over come frustration---with better raw beginner tutorials enthusiasm should win almost every time---when it doesn't it's down to the manufacturer of the program not providing proper instruction-IMO--(not a huge issue with free ware of course but still you'd think they'd understand how difficult things are at sheer blunt end of the learning curve-- it's inexcusable with pay ware to not provide 100% complete begginner tutorials that are relevant and a good stepping stone --- )
Attachments
room07.jpg
LOL only took me four hours to make a ~Love to~ radiator ---lol-- Hitchcockian camera pespectives here as well--long process this learning stuff
room07.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 31394 times
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:11 pm

You've done wonders Bortdafarm, these scenes are superb and they look very unique.
mugginsmajik

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Cheers lot of work just for one courner of one room tho lol!! it's no wonder fully rendered games take so long to do even with a team of pro's on the job--!! let alone one amateur- -building up a stock of "parts" will help -various chairs tables objects etc all pre made and able to be slotted directly into each scene without have-ing to make new funiture for every room and so on..i made a table for this scene that didn't take long (half an hour and a chair bowt the same time) still it's hard to imagine constructing enough scenes for a decent length adventure game--

rendering is great but it's hard not to get boogged down with constant fussing
Attachments
room09.jpg
table and chairs made---hard shadow rendering
room09.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 31365 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Skye » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:00 am

Just one word WOW!!! :shock:

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Nice

Postby Harvester » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Very nice pictures again!
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Bortdafarm » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:20 pm

Cheers !
slow progress but it's getting easier--still say Cinema is a fairly un-pleasant program to use--doesn't feel natural some-how--hard to get into a rythm with it--but i am using a very old "freeware-cover disc" version of the program (from PC-PLUS 2002) the up-to date pay ware version is from looking at the web-site a lot more user friendly to use--more functions aswell--i might splash out and buy it later on-the basic set up isn't outrageously expensive for these sorts of things (about 400 quid UK money)
Harvester have you gotten round the texture problem?
Bortdafarm

Hi

Postby BBP_BigBadPeanut » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi I like the Pictures keep up the good work :wink:
BBP_BigBadPeanut
Frequent Poster

Postby Bortdafarm » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:24 am

Cheers BBP! begginning to get into the more fun parts now -adding the things that bring the scene to life--apolgies for nicking your avatar for a second here--made a marble table and book and glass objects--

hope allso i'm not over using the thread attachment facility(?) :oops:
Attachments
book01.jpg
book01.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 31342 times
Bortdafarm

Postby AncientRein » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:54 pm

i like your images , well done :D

the semi transparancy on the curtains and

the subtle room reflections , cool.

the chairs are unique as well.
dont put the curtains to close to that hot radiator !

cheers
AncientRein
AncientRein

Postby Bortdafarm » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Cheers! designing furniture can be quite interesting in an accidental sort of way! will keep my eye on those curtains--- :lol:
Attachments
stairs03.jpg
bit of a resident evil vibe appearing out of the mist..?
stairs03.jpg (67.55 KiB) Viewed 31283 times
stairs01.jpg
been working on some stairs--
stairs01.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 31297 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:56 pm

here's a poser 4 horse imported into Cinema 4d and modelled as a small statue--looks well-- lots of potentail for decorative objects and so on
Attachments
horse.jpg
horse.jpg (112.16 KiB) Viewed 31182 times
Bortdafarm

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Yes, looks pretty real! :D
Good job! I wish I was as far on my way as you are...
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Cheers Mystery! :oops: 8)
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:31 pm

Wow, this last set of images are by far your best yet, The atmosphere and lighting is perfect. At this rate before long you will have a complete house on here - Great work.
mugginsmajik

Postby Bortdafarm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Cheers Muggins'!
making very slow progress
Bortdafarm

Postby Bortdafarm » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:44 pm

a some-what perculiar object at the top of the stairs... :D
Attachments
object01.jpg
summat spooky goin' on here i should say..
object01.jpg (55.17 KiB) Viewed 31136 times
Bortdafarm

Postby mugginsmajik » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:06 am

Yes it's unusual, is it a cabinet?
mugginsmajik

Postby Mystery » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:23 am

Looks like a church window slider puzzle :wink:
Interesting though!
Mystery

Postby Bortdafarm » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:50 am

:D Cheers have to admit i don't know what it is myself--made it for another model (a spanish galleon--it's the cabin window frame at the rear of the ship-the ship will be an ornament on a desk some-where if i manage to finish it ) it's got puzzle written all over it!
Bortdafarm

Postby Mystery » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:58 am

So I wasn't so bad with my guess: window and puzzle are right :wink:
Mystery

Next

Return to Artwork