Money and Score

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Money and Score

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi,

new to the whole game devlopment thingy ma jig, just downloaded the free version of the Adventure Maker (the one for ppl who can't code :) )

I would like to have a money system and a score system in my game, but the only way I can figure out to do either, is to make the game linear, replacing the money icon with a new icon each time the character gains / loses money or score. Doing it this way means the end user would have to follow a pre-determined path through the game, so the correct icon replaces the previous one. (ie money icon 20 dollars.ico is in inv. Player buys a bottle of beer for 2 dollars, money icon is replaced with the 18 dollar.ico file.

I really do not want to make a linear game!

Was wondering if it's possible to track the amount of money you have and your score. Without VBS.

(awesome program by the way, so powerful for us comp nubs and free...thanks!)
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Mon May 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Hmmm, I don't think that this is possible without a little bit of VBSript, but maybe somebody else has an idea.

However, it is very easy to do with VBScript (only full version though) even for beginners like me. I just tried it and it works and I was very surprised how easy it is (increase and descrease sum of money).

But wait for answers of more experienced members if they got an idea.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 6:37 pm

I think you may be right Mystery. Global variable would do it pretty easily I figure. Thank you for replying. Roll on next pay day so I can go to VBS ;)

on that note, is there any guide to adding something like money or score through VBS? (I don't know any scripting atm)
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Mon May 01, 2006 6:39 pm

I often use the help files to figure out things. This is a great help from my point of view (and I used it also to try out the money counter):
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm

If you have the full version and have questions on how to do it, post here again and I can help you with it.
Mystery

Postby Candle » Mon May 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Here is help 4.1 in a chm file is you like it that way.
http://www.candes-weblog.us/downloads/Help.rar
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 7:01 pm

well, I can't go to full version until the end of May. But thank you for the pointers :)
Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 7:20 pm

on another note

I would like a map, but a map that you have in your inventory.

So you get given the map, and then when you click on it in your inventory it takes you to a certain frame, which contains the overview of the map.

Is that possible?
Dauntless

Postby Candle » Mon May 01, 2006 7:38 pm

24. How to allow the player to examine the inventory items?

To do that, just create a new "Magnifier Glass" item and use the "Using items on each other" command to go to frames that contain the description of the items.

To go back to the game, use the "go to the last visited frame" command.

Note: if the player has examined several items, the "go to the last visited frame" command will lead to the description of the previous item, instead of leading to the game. To solve the problem, simply disable the inventory while the player is examining an item (in other words, force the player to go back to the game before being able to examine another item). To do so, use the Action.HideInventoryButton and Action.ShowInventoryButton commands.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... _inventory
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 7:55 pm

nice, thank you

o...thats not an option (go to frame), you need VBS to do that?

Going to have to think of a cunning way to get an examine function without VBS :)
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Mon May 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Well if there is only the combination of magnifier and map, it could work. You can define without VBSCript to which screen the player goes after the screen of the zoomed map.
Mystery

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm

when you combine an item with another item the only option is to create a new item. Which takes you back to the original problem

What i've done is created a blank frame and named it editorscreen, with a small function panel graphic in the bottom right corner. Ive made a hotspot in this graphic, and used a eyeball picture.

Now every new frame i make, im just going to dupluicate the editorscreen frame, add the actual picture I want as the frame background, and before I do anything else open manage inventory, drop the map onto the eyeball hotspot and use that to link it to my actual map frame.

Doing this means for losing 5% of my frame screen, and 10 seconds to make the examine function each time I make a new frame, the player can examine the map from whatever screen they are in (once they have the map as an inventory item!)

Not perfect...but cunning :)

But if i've overlooked something put me right please, for the little resources and time it takes I'd still rather have the magnifying glass over the map option.
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Mon May 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Yes, something like this would also have been my idea: to create a hotspot with a picture of an eye or magnifyer glass in the corner of the screen.
But: I think that you don't have to make the examination settings on every screen. If you make it on one screen, set first the hotspot properties, you can copy the screen then and the hotspot properties are automatically also copied.
Mystery

Postby Dauntless » Mon May 01, 2006 8:46 pm

awesome :) I don't want to go to work tommorow now!

hey btw If anyone would like to check out my game as I go along and give pointers just pm me and I'll send it to you. I only have the free version so it'll be in a .am1 format...but I guess that doesn't matter since every1 on these forums will have AM installed.

It's also got mature content (hey it's my first game :p) and the gfx ain't much kop (gonna prettify later once the plot characters story etc are in there and working) but yeah if you want to check it out pm me

and thank you ever so much for everybody's helps so far
Dauntless

i do

Postby ahashwi » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 pm

i have the full version and i want to know how you lose and gain money
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: thanks
ahashwi

Postby Mystery » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:07 am

Here is a general description on how to create, increase and display a money variable:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... .htm#money
Mystery

help

Postby ahashwi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:38 am

can you show me a game with that :?: :?: :?:
ahashwi

Postby Mystery » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:45 pm

I made a small demo with 3 different money values to add to your Money variable and a bottle of wine to reduce your Money variable. Just to show in general how it is made.

You can download the demo here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PD4H6R61
(You need to enter the 3 letters you see on top right next to "Megaupload", click on download and then wait a couple of seconds until the download starts.

EDIT: New link
http://www.mysterys-games.ch/Demo%20Money.zip
Mystery

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion