Color or b&w?

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Color or b&w?

Postby topdogbobby » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 am

I plan on making a game based on my comic (which can be seen on my artpage topdogbobby.deviantart.com)
I was wondering though what people think? Would a b&w adventure game bore you? Should I go color? Heres a b&w example:

I think as far as cut scenes go I'll either do very simple animation or (more likely) a still picture narrated style like Max Payne. What do you think?
topdogbobby

Postby Mystery » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 am

First of all, congrats to the great pictures you made. :)

To your question:
I don't think that an adventure game in black and white is boring. It depends on what you add to make the game interesting.
Just to click through the pictures like in a PowerPoint presentation would make not much sense from my personal point of view. However if there is more interaction (decisions you make, puzzles etc.), it is a great idea :)

Do you already have ideas what kind of interactivity you would add?
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Like it

Postby Harvester » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:41 pm

I like the idea of making an adventure game from a comic, once I was also thinking about this, but I found it a bit too big work :? For your question: I think it is ok if it's black and white if this way you can express the story well. But I guess if you did the comic in black and white than this is not a problem. (Many people liked the Sin City movie: why woudln't they like a black and white adventure game?)
I agree with Mystery in that it should be interactive enough, and not just an easy click-through game. I guess this is similar to interactive movie adventure games. I like those very much, so I am willing to play with your game as soon as it is finished. I think a Max Payne-like narrative style would be nice.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Candle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Check this game out.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby topdogbobby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:39 am

Mystery wrote:First of all, congrats to the great pictures you made. :)

To your question:
I don't think that an adventure game in black and white is boring. It depends on what you add to make the game interesting.
Just to click through the pictures like in a PowerPoint presentation would make not much sense from my personal point of view. However if there is more interaction (decisions you make, puzzles etc.), it is a great idea :)

Do you already have ideas what kind of interactivity you would add?

Not yet. I am thinking of possibly doing several small 'episodes' until I can get a long story done for a longer game. As far as interaction I was thinking of a few ideas and big decisions that can affect the ending type of deal but since I know NOTHING about coding I may be very limited. I plan on doing full voice acting (tested in my friends studio...sounds great!) and an original score. I do know one thing...all the puzzles will make sense. I hate when adventure games make illogical puzzles!

And thanks for the comment on the pics, I really appreciate it!
topdogbobby

Re: Like it

Postby topdogbobby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:41 am

Harvester wrote:I like the idea of making an adventure game from a comic, once I was also thinking about this, but I found it a bit too big work :? For your question: I think it is ok if it's black and white if this way you can express the story well. But I guess if you did the comic in black and white than this is not a problem. (Many people liked the Sin City movie: why woudln't they like a black and white adventure game?)
I agree with Mystery in that it should be interactive enough, and not just an easy click-through game. I guess this is similar to interactive movie adventure games. I like those very much, so I am willing to play with your game as soon as it is finished. I think a Max Payne-like narrative style would be nice.

Thanks for the input. I hope my final product pleases everyone...eventually. My schedule will be rough with school starting soon mixed with work. Could be killer. But I will make as high a quality product as possible!
topdogbobby

Postby topdogbobby » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:42 am

Candle wrote:Check this game out.

Only gave it a quick look but it looks pretty ~Love to~ cool! Thanks for the link.
topdogbobby

Return to Artwork