Bug report and hints for Missionary Man Demo 1.0

This forum is meant for people to ask for help or give it about the games created with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Bug report and hints for Missionary Man Demo 1.0

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 pm

HI ALL PLEASE POSTS YOUR BUG REPORTS AND HINT REQUESTS FOR THIS GAME HERE

Though I'm not sure I finished the demo I have some constructive remarks too :wink:

1. Error when entering the church: Invalid procedure or call argument 'mid'

I guess you wanted to start a midi file... you might want to check this error out in the demo

2. It would be great if Zeke walked a bit faster

3. The speech is too much delayed after clicking an object (could be my computer :wink:)

4. Not always time to read the text and clicking afterwards on one of the 3 options (speak, pick-up, action), the interaction disapears

5. Background music would be nice

Again, besides my personal remarks this is one of the most advanced games I have seen !

BTW: I think all members should see this, so I have made this thread Sticky for a while...

Congrats to you and the rest of your team, I hope the full version will soon be available.

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
Last edited by ShadowHunter on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby GM-Support » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:05 pm

Looks great !

GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby Rooster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks for your kind words, and your constructive criticism Shadowhunter. that's what we were hoping for. :D

The bug at the church is now corrected.

We're quite sure you haven't completed the demo yet. there are several dialogues, quite a few puzzles in quite a few frames that you must get through until you're done.

Good luck with the demo.

/Rooster

PS. If there was a double click functionality in the KeyGuard plugin, we could easily make Zeke get faster to his destination if wanted... :wink: DS.
Rooster

Postby Rooster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Thanks GM!

Tell us when you have completed the demo... are you up to it??? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Rooster

Postby Mystery » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi Rooster,

First of all congrats to this great game :)
I'm still at the beginning even if playing now for some time. It's hard, but also very funny with the comments. I like it very much so far.

I will tell you if I ever beat it, for now here some of my problems (but as I said I like and enjoy your game):
1) I had some difficulties with the dialogues that were very slow, and which I couldn't control to be faster.
2) The error message because of the mid that ShadowHunter mentioned occured for me although you posted that you fixed it (it's when talking to the bartender the second time and he is talking about pliers.
3) I had additional error messages that I will post as attachments, and due to those multiple error messages I only could shut down your game by using the task manager of my pc.

I hope that you will be able to fix the problems (or maybe it is just one problem that causes multiple errors), because I would like to finish your demo :)
Attachments
Error2.JPG
Error2.JPG (19.58 KiB) Viewed 26425 times
Error.JPG
Error.JPG (13.41 KiB) Viewed 26425 times
Mystery

Postby Rooster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi Mystery.
Thank you for trying to play our game and for your kind words.
We have been trying to recreate the errors you found, but without any success.

Where exactly do these errors occur? The first error you mentioned in the bartender dialogue, do you recall the last thing he said?

Have you looked at the gold chain and entered the room upstairs?

Once again thank you for your effort, we will do out very best to correct the errors a.s.a.p

/Rooster
Rooster

Postby Mystery » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Rooster,

Thank for your fast reply.
The error messages occured at the same place/time when I was talking the second time with the bartender and he made some kind of a joke/comment (I only remember "pliers", because right after the text appeared it got hidden behind the error message windows). First the "mid"-error was displayed and then a couple of other error messages popped up. I think it was the two messages that I posted that opened over and over again.

Yes, I entered Zeke's room and I also have taken a look at the golden necklace.

I'll try to play it again from where I saved and see if it happens again. If so, I'll restart it from the beginning and check what happens. I'll pay more attention and will be able to provide you more specific information in case an error occurs again.

I'll post again (probably only tomorrow since it is evening here in Switzerland). I'll post in both cases, so I'll also let you know if it runs smoothly.
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:51 pm

(Sorry for double posting but I wanted Rooster to see that I replayed it now to check it.)

Hi Rooster,

I have played it again and also restarted and I had the exactly same problem again:

After getting into the room and seeing the necklace, I have talked to the bartender the second time. When I was offered an option to choose in the dialogue, I chose the question if he was single.
Just when the dialogue arrived at the screen of which I made a screenshot, again the same multiple error messages popped up like I described yesterday.
The game stopped and I had to use my task manager to get out of the game.
Hope this information about the exact frame where it happened provides you some help to fix the problem or to figure out why this happened.
Attachments
Screen.JPG
Screen.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 26386 times
Mystery

Postby Rooster » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi again Mystery!

Thanks for being so patient helping us out here!

We have made a small change and would like to ask you to download the new exe file from our homepage www.rehapadventures.com , and to try again. There are still quite a few puzzles to solve :) Make sure to uninstall version 1.0 before installing 1.01

(I have asked Shadowhunter to move this thread to "Games, Hints and walkthroughs")

GOOD LUCK!!!

/Rooster
Rooster

Postby Mystery » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:52 pm

Hi Rooster,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to uninstall my current version and download the new one.

If I have any problems I'll take the liberty post with as specific information as I can.
But I hope that the new version will run smoothly for me aswell. Thanks again :)

EDIT: Have new problems. PMed you Rooster. It seems that I have the same problems with some (not all, just some) screens when talking to the bartender. I don't know what you figured out and what you changed, but there seems to be something about those specific screens that cause me problems (it's always the mid-error, followed by the other error messages that I posted). I'm really sorry and I hope that it's just me who has those problems. :cry:
If it's only me there is no point to change things in your game, therefore a suggestion on my part:
I could test your game tomorrow on another pc with XP Home Edition and see what happens.
Mystery

Postby Rooster » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi again.

Can you tell us what OS you are running?

We have used XP Home Edition, while developing and testing the game, and quite fast PC:s (1G RAM)... maybe it won't run well on another OS...?

/Rooster
Rooster

Postby Mystery » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:14 pm

I use also XP Home Edition and 512 Mb Ram.
This is really strange. Maybe it has to do with the speed or with settings?
As I suggested in my previous post, I'll test it on another PC tomorrow that uses also XP Home Edition and is as fast as mine.

As I said, if it's only me and not other players, there's no point to bother about it. But if it occures for other players aswell, you might want to find out the reason.

I'll PM you tomorrow how it went with the other pc.
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi Rooster,

I have just tried your game on another pc with XP Home Edition and 521 Mb Ram as announced yesterday, and had the exactly same problems with some of the dialogue screens with the bartender.

Best wishes,
Mystery

EDIT on October 10:
I just didn't want to leave those bug reports of earlier uncommented. So I just wanted to state officially that the game is now running perfectly!!!
Thanks to the game creators for their hard work on fixing it :D
Mystery

Postby ShadowHunter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi Rooster,

It took me a very long time and lots of frustration but I finally managed, after redesigning the whole KeyGuard core, to capture "double clicks" :D

Even more:

- Detect left mouse down
- Detect left mouse up
- Detect right mouse down
- Detect right mouse down
- Detect double left click
- Detect double right click
- Detect mouse wheel scroll

And 100% backwards compatible. It will be released as version 3.0.5.

But now I need your expertise...you told me that you could adjust the speed of the movement... however I do not find the property of the OCX to do this (not in help documentation)

I want to make a small demo to include in the release that makes a sprite run faster when doubled clicked.

Hope you can help me out !

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby ShadowHunter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi Rooster,

I have received feedback from GM :D

It is not possible to change the speed of the sprite at the moment. However GM was kind enough to open the source code so I could adapt it and now it is possible to change the speeds while playing the game.

And you only need to add one line of code in your game :D

One drawback however... for some reason the left double click event isn't working when clicked on a hotspot... I'm not sure I will ever be able to solve that problem.

So I made a demo including the 3th person plugin 1.1 and KeyGuard... simple pressing the spacebar or scrolling the mouse wheel (like used in Broken Sword 4: The Angel Of Death) will make the sprite run. It's really a neat future !

I will make it available in a few days !

Just to let you know !

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby Rooster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Shadowhunter.

Sorry for the late reply.. but we are pressing on with the next part of Missionary Man.
We agree, this new feature to capture double click sounds very good. I'm sure we will use it a lot.

As for you earlier question regarding 3rd person plugin, well.. we don't use the 3rd person plugin we have made a tailor made function instead.
But of course we will make use of your new function to speed up our 3rd person movement.

We have a general question regarding Keyguard, is there a risk, when you press a certain key rapidly many times, that it will somehow be stacked? Which means that there will be numerous events instead of one.

We are having a little bit of problem with that. Is there anyway we can control that within the plugin?

We would like to control how often you could press a certain key.

Shadowhunter, it's really inspiring to have guys like you at our side here. :-)

Kind Regards

Rooster
Rooster

Postby ShadowHunter » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi Rooster,

The multiple keystrokes are indeed buffered and processed afterwards which could lead to multiple events when you only need a one time trigger. This is by design... cases in which the scenario is useful exists so you have to limited it by using VB scripting in AM.

You could start a timer when a key is pressed, if a same keystroke event happens during the timer event you discard it.

As for the double click function, for some reason it won't execute when clicking on a hotspot. This is probably because AM over rules this action. Though I would strongly advice to try the new demo in the Plugin's Section of the forum to see how well using the scroll wheel works when making a sprite run. The people at Revoltion Soft - Broken Sword 4 - saw that too :wink:

Hope this can help you in the right direction.

KeyGuard 3.0.5 is available at my website.

Please keep me updated.

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Return to Games Hints and Walkthroughs