Saving/recalling DIALOGUES

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Saving/recalling DIALOGUES

Postby LindaCat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:03 am

Can anyone think of a way of saving dialogues? Like in a ?journal? or ?note book??
In detail: If my player have been through several rooms and spoken to several characters, is there a tool I can create for the player to re-read the dialogues to refresh their memory? (No, they cannot simply go back and have the conversations again since the rooms will be closed, or the characters will have new dialogues to offer.)
What I am looking for, I guess, is a way to save each dialogue in some kind of ?room? (?book?) where each new dialogue is added in the exact order it was played?
Any ideas?
LindaCat

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:10 am

Have one page with a little book and merge that page to all the pages and when they click on it it goes to a page that has little books on it with the name of the dialogue maybe so they know what book is what.
Each time they do a dialogue add a book to the page. clicking on a little book takes them to a frame that has the dialogue on it.
Candle
Administrator

Postby LindaCat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:21 am

THANKS!!!
LindaCat

Postby LindaCat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Yes, I'm grateful for your suggestion, but counting my dialogues, I'm up to 173 so far. That's an awful lot of little books...
I was wondering if there was some CODE which would add to one room... Or globally?
Say I made a book in a room where the first page was a table of contence of dialogues, and each with a hotspot to a page (room) with the dialogue in question. Now what kind of code would I write to add a dialogue with a hotspot to the table of contence? (It must be impossible, obviously, to read dialogues to come later on in the game.)
LindaCat

Postby Candle » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:17 am

I don't know what to tell you on how to do it. maybe someone else knows a better way?
Candle
Administrator

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi,

Sure... it's very easy in fact... just write the text to an ini-file and add more text each time a room is visited. Or maybe better... make an ini-file containing all the text and depending on the progress show the lines you want the user to read... two approached, same result :D

Upon opening the journal read the contence of the ini-file and show it in a text-object in AM.

See the help documents for more information. You will find a coded example on how to write and read from the ini-file in my EZTalk plugin.

It can be done in a very professional way and it will not take so much coding :wink:

Good luck,

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby LindaCat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks
Not quite knowing what an ini-file is, I'm a bit confused, but reassured that information exists within eztalk, - which I plan to buy along with the commercial AM, by the way. - and as long as there is something to read, I'm sure I'll figure it out.
(One day I may even understand the principle of code too, not just cut and paste it :wink: )
LindaCat

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi LindaCat,

EZTalk is a free plugin and comes with a demo that you can open in AM to look at the code.

An ini-file is in fact a plain text file but a bit structured. AM allows you to read and write files like that.

True, you need the Professional version of AM to compile the game but to experiment with it you can use the free edition.

I'm sure you will figure out how to make what you need and please feel free to ask help on the forums.

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion