3D Surround Sound Add-on

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

3D Surround Sound Add-on

Postby eritenel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:59 am

Hi everybody,

I have mailed this to Adventure Maker staff, they said that the idea would be great and suggested me to post it to forums.

First, I would like to say that Adventure Maker is a great program to make Point & Click games. With the addition of 360 d. Panaroma function, I nearly decided to make my game project with A.M. Because of the fact that I work alone on this project and I don't know any programming language, I decided to use AM. But there is one problem that AM doesn't support surround sound integration in Panaroma mode. For example, I want to place sound effects to certain points in panaroma, so I can hear sounds from their points when playing the game, like any other similar game. I think this feature would be great not only for me, but whole AM users and it is a required feature in the tool like AM. I would be very happy if this is not too complex for staff to add it to AM. Thank you very much for giving us this great tool.

Batu Eritenel
eritenel

Postby SeryousYew » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 am

As I remember, the SDL library should contain useful functions to this purpose...
SeryousYew

Postby DarkFox101 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:00 pm

That is a very good idea. But instead of having to add sounds in the properties menu, how about adding sounds to different hotspots instead? For example. Black hotspots are basically normal hotspots. (Move functions, pick up items, etc) And Red hotspots are for panaroma sounds. So when the player comes into view of the hotspot, the sound becomes louder until it becomes in full view. Just shooting suggestions across.
DarkFox101
Frequent Poster

Postby SeryousYew » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 pm

But this would be a "fake" surrounding: if you are viewing left of the source the sound come from the right speaker (and just a little bit from the left one while the view direction is down to 90? form the source)
SeryousYew

Examples

Postby eritenel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:31 pm

I don't have any idea about the implementation, but I have found some examples of some other engines.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

"For sound and music, you can use OGG, MP3, WAV, MOD, XM and MIDI files. Ambient location-dependant sounds, automatic footstep sounds, multiple sound channels and crossfading between music tracks are supported too."

http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/about.php

"Directional sound effects and background sounds or music"

But these engines are not so develeped as AM in 360 panorama, so I think this feature is a must certainly.
eritenel

Postby SeryousYew » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm

I don't think so, PIPMAK is much better than AM for 360? panos, it just lacks of an editing system and a natural video support. I'm currently supplying to the first problem http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9122
SeryousYew

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion