SWF's and AM

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

SWF's and AM

Postby nigec » Wed May 23, 2007 11:59 am

For the Last year and a half i've ben using Lassie_as to do games.. but for various reasons i'm looking to change and i'm interesed in AM and the SWF feature

soooo heres a few questions....

could a 3rd person character be a SWF?

can you script a swf movie as a background image and make it switch frames on an event/ interaction with a hotspot?

can you use action script to call AM scripts?

sorry for the dumb Q's :oops:
nigec

Re: SWF's and AM

Postby Candle » Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 pm

nigec wrote:For the Last year and a half i've ben using Lassie_as to do games.. but for various reasons i'm looking to change and i'm interesed in AM and the SWF feature

soooo heres a few questions....

could a 3rd person character be a SWF?

can you script a swf movie as a background image and make it switch frames on an event/ interaction with a hotspot?

can you use action script to call AM scripts?

sorry for the dumb Q's :oops:

the 3rd person has to be gif files. if you look in the project folder for the demo game you will see how they are number.
sorry can't have anything infront of the flash as far as I know.
take a look at the flash help page I gave you. maybe something there? Shadow would know more about this.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Imari » Thu May 24, 2007 1:49 am

Hi Nige,
It's been a while since I used Flash (MX) with AM, but I'll try to answer.

Realistically, I think the answer to all of your questions is "no", but it'll depend on exactly what you have in mind. If you mean to use the SWF as a looping video/background for the frame, then the answer is no. SWF is not an accepted extension for looping videos in AM. For SWF's you must use the Flash Plug-in and they cannot loop infinitely. Once a Flash movie is playing in AM, it simply plays until you get to the END frame. An END frame for the SWF is essential or else you became stuck in the movie instead of exiting back to AM. So, AM plays the SWF, but it doesn't interact with it or vice versa.

As Candle said, you need a GIF sequence for the sprite's walk sequence. I'm not sure how you'd go about scripting the other animations like jumping or picking something up. I don't think that transparent SWFs work in AM since they require HTML code (or used to) and a browser. For the same reason, you cannot hide the right click Flash menu in AM. There are also other problems with using Flash. For instance, you can only have one "door" leading out of an SWF movie to an AM frame. And if you use Flash for a puzzle, the person MUST solve the puzzle and reach the END frame of the SWF file, or else they are stuck in the puzzle indefinitely. There's no, if you solve it go on to Frame 2, but if you don't go back to Frame 1.

You can do an awful lot of neat things, though, with AM, especially if you utilize ShadowHunter's EZTalk and other plug-ins. :)
Imari
VIP

Postby nigec » Thu May 24, 2007 8:16 am

most of the things i have been doing is framed movies, say a drawer on a desk
frame1 first frame is the draw closed with stop code
frame2 open animation, stop
frame3 holds open, stop (stops it replaying if you enter the room)
frame2 close animation stop
goes to frame one by game engine

a background is just the same

normally an ambient background triggered by a hotspot so the cursor doesn't react to it

The whole idea of going with flash was online games.. but even a small 2 or 3 meg game just eats bandwidth, specially if a 3rd person character is wandering about

thanks for the replies, i'll have a mess about with the free version and see what i can come up with :D not flash obviously lol
nigec

Postby Imari » Thu May 24, 2007 1:58 pm

nigec said -
most of the things i have been doing is framed movies, say a drawer on a desk
frame1 first frame is the draw closed with stop code
frame2 open animation, stop
frame3 holds open, stop (stops it replaying if you enter the room)
frame2 close animation stop
goes to frame one by game engine

a background is just the same

If you wanted to, you could certainly do that with an SWF file. If opening the drawer made it a sure thing that your player would get a quest item, then you could even set the hotspot so that AM adds an item to Inventory and satisfys a variable.
Imari
VIP

Postby nigec » Thu May 24, 2007 4:25 pm

thanks for your help, as soon as i can get the full version i'll see what i can do, it would be great if i could keep away from fighting with gif animation lol
nigec

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion