And the Winners of the game contest are

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

And the Winners of the game contest are

Postby Candle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:14 am

Missionary Man 1st place full version of Adventure Maker
Horror 203 2nd place Agatha Christie Murder On The Orient Express
Unravel 3rd place Agatha Christie And Then There Were None
Tim's house 4th place Safe Cracker Puzzle Adventure

Rooster you will get a PM about your prize from GM
The others I will need your name ,address etc so i can mail your prizes to you.
just send me a PM when you get time and I'll try to get them off next week or so.
Thanks everyone for playing and thanks to GM for the gift and the The Adventure Company for their gifts.
And thank you to the judges for helping with this.
I will be posting about the new contest in a few days when we get it all work out.

Candle
Last edited by Candle on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:28 am

Congrats to the winners!!! :D
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Imari » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:40 am

Yes, congratulations to the winners!

Thanks for entering, guys. The games were all interesting to play. They were so different and each had its own wonderful features.

And thanks to Candle for doing this!
Imari
VIP

Postby NEVERMORE » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:55 am

wow!! thank you for this contest!! but i think it would be great to hear your opinion on every game if possible.
...nevermore...
NEVERMORE

Postby Candle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:23 am

It's up to the judges if they want to.
You could PM them and ask.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

If you want so

Postby Harvester » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Firstly, I would like to congratulate for all the winners. I liked to play them. If you wish to read my opinions, I will tell it, it's not secret now. I'm sorry if my opinion is not absolutely objective, but I think at a game the atmosphere, the personal impression is very important. So here is my personal opinion about the games:

Missionary Man demo

It was a quite funny game, I liked the humorous dialogs and the well-created main charachter, plus the geeky guy at the pub. The graphics were also nice, they had a style. Plus this is the first 3rd person game I've seen created by AM, which also made it interesting. On the other hand, I missed music at some places; at least atmospheric sounds would be nice. For me the gameplay was a bit slow, maybe more action would be also nice.

Horror 203

The game with the strongest atmosphere. The graphics were nice, they had a unique style, however, the setting seemed to be less creative. The sounds and the music was also good, plus there was enough interaction (for me). The game was short, however. All in all I liked it, I would just mention one bug: the remote control could be picked up more than once. The nice videos were a great advantage of the game.

Unravel

This game also has a unique atmosphere, mainly given by the intro scene. I liked the graphics very much, but the gameplay was slow for my taste. If i disregard the fact that it didn't appeal my personal taste, it was quite a good game, well done work.

Tim's House

Personally I liked this game. The atmosphere was okay, the graphics also, plus there were some wellplaced, nice soundeffects. The menu music was also nice. The thing I really liked was the camera movement, it is the most smooth from the games in the contest in my opinion. The biggest disadvantage was it's short gameplay and the lack of real puzzles. Perhaps it could be a bit less linear, as this way not much thinking is needed to complete the game. Overall, I liked it, it's a pity that it wasn't longer and more complex. Quite a pleasant surprise from Qtip.

I hope I didn't hurt anyone, it's just my personal opinion. I hope they are constructive enough and they will help your advancement in gamemaking. Good luck for your further work,

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Imari » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:11 pm

I also made notes for the winning entries. I felt that each entry had its strengths and minor weaknesses and in the end the scores for each were very very close. Thanks again to the participants and congratulations. It would be great to see more from each of you.

Alphabetical order ---
========================

HORROR 203 - Very well done demonstration of how one can integrate imaginative graphics with music and sound. Particularly effective intro. Exceptional graphics, great color scheme and jagged, out-of-focus images from processed photographs. Claustrophibic and threatening atmosphere. Many excellent sounds. Music was a major plus, including the use of brief (and loud) video. The one "puzzle" seemed nonsensical. Minor glitch, TV remote was not set to disappear after being picked up. Had all the bells and whistles, but no storyline. I kept trying to figure out how to clean the mirror (~Love to~ that un-get-able towel in the kitchen!), because I was convinced that in cleaning the mirror, I'd see blood all over "me".

========================

MISSIONARY MAN - Complex and well developed first chapter of a 3rd person game, with many customized features, hand drawn graphics and animated sprites, and a lot of humorous dialogue. Nice custom intro screen, menu, etc. Though the frames could have benefited from a more coherent color scheme, I liked the hand drawn graphics and animated sprites. Voice over and dialogue were very funny, but did I kill that poor cat? I poked it several more times, but it never moved again. :/ Some of the puzzles seemed a bit obscure and there was a fair amount of pixel hunting, but there were plenty of them. This has all indications of being a well developed story. Would benefit from some music.

========================

TIM'S HOUSE - The graphics were clean and simple. Standard movement from room to room made staying oriented within the scene easy. Custom slider menu was a nice plus. Effective use of sounds and music throughout. Puzzles, though very simple worked. I was bothered by there being no way to go backwards out if a scene. Had to bypass the short video, because, though I downloaded several codices, I could not get it to work.

========================

UNRAVEL - Very good start to a game that I hope will be developed further. The kernel of an interesting story is there. Nice intro. Game generally looked and worked well, though some technical problems (info frame too large and barmaid frames did not appear to be lined up when screens switched). Bright and pleasing enhanced photos create a convincing atmosphere and captured Key West perfectly. Very simple puzzles, though there were several, and they were delivered in a clever and humorous way. Liked the blurring of screens when drunk, and the disoriented wander through the backstreets of Key West. Loved the way the fuzzy graphics were used. Music in the intro and Irish pub was good, but the "Hungarian" music in the terminal was odd. Timed sequences and frame transitions seemed too slow.

========================
Imari
VIP

Postby Sandy Stover » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:18 pm

Imari and Harvester: Thanks for the througtful and encouraging comments. This kind of expert feedback is very helpful.

Cheers, Sandy
Key West Adventurer
Sandy Stover

You

Postby Harvester » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 pm

You're welcome, I hope you find them at least a bit useful. It was a pleasure to play and evaluate such games.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby ZeornWarlock » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:53 am

Congratulations to all the winners. :) I also have one question... Candle, could you give us the link to the games of all the selected winners? That is if we can try them!

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Imari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:57 am

Imari
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:31 am

Imari wrote:Links to Missionary Man and Horror 203 are in this thread ---
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3017&start=0

Tim's House is here ---
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3049&highlight=tims+house

Thanks! :)

Candle, maybe you should compile all the links in one page for folks to enjoy the winner games.

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 am

Good idea, maybe in the first post of this thread :)
I'm going to play them aswell, thanks to the jury to post great constructive reviews about them :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion